• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

always rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Was told by someone from CSU what their upcoming schedule looks like (providing they finish top of Romanos, ahead by 13 at this stage).
Jul 18 Coota
Jul 25 Temora
Aug 1 Bye
Aug 8 Young
Aug 15 Bye (seconds play Deni)
Aug 22 Bye in first week of finals
Aug 29 Semi
Sept 5 Bye (providing they win first semi)
Sept 12 Possible Roms Cup GF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
looks like too many Byes to me although Aug 1 is a General Bye for all Teams in the Competition & the Aug 15 is because Deni don't have a 1st Grade
Good Luck I'm pretty sure CSU will be there somewhere on Grand Finals Day

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
Seems to be a bit of chatter among the CSU lads at the moment. A couple of senior players I know have said that they would rather not play in a GF if it meant playing in the second division GF in 2015. The word humiliating was used.
Hearing there might be some players playing at different times on Saturday than what they are used to, do to their attitude.

By the sounds of it, the split comp may have run its course??

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Yawn, heard the same thing from Ag College when they played against Temora too (and Temora beat them). Clubs agree to the split comp, then whinge about it when it suits them.

They've got 11 rounds to win 6 games of footy, it's straight forward and fair to all.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
cry me a river please CSU - play your Young blokes in the Finals and give them so Finals experience
CSU were there own worst enemies this year - Wins against Griffith & Aggies but a costly loss to City in Round 1 brought about their undoing.
I agree with comments above & heard the same story with Aggies a couple of years ago.
My final comment is If the Split has run its course what are the Options
Maybe the talked about Village Competition could be the answer to the Split Competition

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
I think CSU needs to be looking at its future now in the SIRU Comp
Quite a few blokes playing all Grades who are moving on in years and they don't seem to be attracting the new Students like they did in their good old days.
They are definitely in their right Division at the moment and should win the Romano's Cup this year but they appear to be in a bit of a Free Fall at the moment as far as where they are heading in the Future

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interesting Round tomorrow- my winners are Albury by 12 over Leeton , Griffith by 10 against waratahs , Ag College by 8 against Tumut, CSU by 20pts v Coota & Young by 15 against Temora

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Round Thirteen Preview:
The top of the table clash is clearly the Match of the Round this week, but in an interesting twist to the draw, 3rd also plays 4th and 5th is playing 6th in the Premier Division which is almost a preview of what the finals could look like in a few weeks’ time.

PREMIER DIVISION:

Albury (1) v Leeton (2) – Match of the Round @ Murrayfield, Albury

Steamers v Phantoms at fortress Murrayfield this weekend will be a corker and will really set the tone for these two teams over the coming weeks. With only two points separating these teams on the competition ladder, this game could see a change in the competition front-runner.

The Phantoms are the only team to have beaten the Steamers this year and are also the only undefeated team remaining in the competition, will they be able to maintain this record this week? A quick look at the For and Against for these teams shows that the Steamers have scored more points than the Phantoms, but the Phantoms have a marginally better defensive record.

Albury are the club that really pride themselves on playing well at their home ground and they really thrive on that “siege mentality” to motivate at home. I have said before that you get the sense that the Steamers are building and this is an opportunity for both Albury and Leeton to have a crack at each other before the finals series kicks off.

The Steamers front row has been a class outfit in recent years and will look to set that platform from the outset tomorrow, this is one area of the game that Albury probably have the edge on the Phantoms. Both tight fives are evenly matched with Joe Penne-Kafua being an important player for the Phantoms.

Players like Farrell Moata and Richard Manion will be good to watch through the backlines and it will be interesting to see how both teams fare through the middle of the park. Liam Krautz will be one to watch in support through here also as he will be an key player in defence for the Steamers.

This game will be the best indication of how these two teams match up against each other and could ultimately decide the Minor Premiership. The Phantoms have the wood over the Steamers from earlier in the year but I’m confident that the Steamers will be looking to turn that previous result around this weekend when they have their full roster on the pitch.

Waratahs (4) v Griffith (3) @ Conolly Rugby Park, Wagga

Again, not much separating these teams and these guys are really jostling for positions as we get closer to the finals and this game is the best chance both teams will get to decide their own fate.

Where have Waratahs plucked this latest run of form from? 4 wins on the trot and starting to look like a structured team, although Aggies did gift a lot of possession to Waratahs last week. The Blacks on the other hand appear to be in a bit of a downer, a close loss to Leeton last week probably won’t hurt them but their roster has taken a bit of a battering in recent weeks.

Euan Bonner and Steve Tracey combined well for Waratahs last week and could prove to be a handful this week against the Blacks. Tracey looked very fast on his feet last week but may find the going a little tougher this week.

Two keen playmakers in Euan Bonner and Sonny Saleopolu going head to head this week will be a highlight, Bonner’s kicking game really allows Waratahs to defend in the attacking half of the field while Saleopolu is a strong runner who likes to combine with his centres.

Waratahs appear to be finding their feet at this stage of the competition and will probably be pretty happy to be playing at home again this week, particularly against Griffith who have to travel across. The Wagga clubs have all had a bit of a disrupted week of training here this week due to the rain and that inclement weather may leave the surface a little slippery this week.

Ag College (6) v Tumut (5) @ Beres Ellwood Oval, Wagga

Aggies dropped too much ball against Waratahs under nil pressure to be a real threat to the team in Blue. When they had their structures sorted, they could compete but too many simple errors allowed Waratahs to capitalise and put Aggies to the sword.

Tumut will travel down for this game after taking on a pretty confident Steamers outfit. My scouts tell me that the Bulls were competitive with the Steamers for the first 50 odd minutes of that game and maybe that will hold them in good stead this week.

If you look at the ladder, we’ve gone from a clear top three and second three to three pairs of teams who are separated by very little. Albury (51), Leeton (49), Griffith (37), Waratahs (35), Tumut (28) and Ag College (27). This shows me that the winner of this game will almost guarantee themselves a spot in the finals in 2015 which makes this a pretty important game!

FIRST DIVISION:

City (9) v Deni – 2nd Grade Only @ Conolly Rugby Park, Wagga

Temora (10) v Young (8) @ Temora Recreation Ground, Temora

This game is a bit of a local derby and one that will see two competitive teams having a crack this weekend. While the Tuskers are not where they were last year, they still have the bones of a strong team there and they always pride themselves on their defence.

The Yabbies have slipped a bit from where they would like to be but have some players in their ranks who gel well together and they appear to be doing this with their recent victory over Coota last week.

Coota (11) v CSU (7) @ Country Club Oval, Cootamundra

From what I have heard, Cootamundra seem to be getting some more consistency back since the split. I’m sure they would have liked to get up over the Yabbies last week but my mail tells me they have been a lot more settled in the past two weeks.

CSU will be looking to continue their recent winning ways but will not want to take the Tri-Colours lightly as there is nothing that Coota love more than knocking off a more fancied rival at home. While I’m sure the Reddies are not happy about playing in the First Division, they need to approach these type of games the same as any other.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
I think CSU needs to be looking at its future now in the SIRU Comp
Quite a few blokes playing all Grades who are moving on in years and they don't seem to be attracting the new Students like they did in their good old days.
They are definitely in their right Division at the moment and should win the Romano's Cup this year but they appear to be in a bit of a Free Fall at the moment as far as where they are heading in the Future

CSU are a town team based at the uni. Aggies are what one would class as the University team.
I agree that CSU are definitely in the right division and looking back to last season, they were very lucky to be in the Walsh & Blair, so two years running where they have been well off the pace. As an outsider looking in, it does seem like the Aggies have a cast of thousands and it is certainly the overwhelming choice for students. Maybe its club culture? Maybe its just a lull? Who knows?You'd have to ask someone in the know.
There must be something though when the aggies seem to overflow with students from all walks of life?
I remember reading at the beginning of 2015 that the coach was keen for a squad with a significant overseas influence, (outside of what they already have!!) well that possibly speaks volumes itself??If this is the direction is it really a Uni/Student orientated club? When was the last time Aggies chased overseas players??
Never.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 ROUND 13 Results:
Premier Division
1st Grade;
Albury 49 d Leeton 22, Wagga Waratahs 57 d Griffith 10, Tumut 19 d Wagga Ag College 15

2nd Grade;
Leeton 37 d Albury 5,Hay 26 d Waratahs 18,Ag College 57 d Tumut 10

3rd Grade;
Griffith 24 d Waratahs 19, Ag College 34 d tumut 0

Womens' 7-A-Side;
Ag college 27 d tumut 22,Griffith 37 d Waratahs 14,Leeton 29 d Albury 0

1st Division;
1st Grade
Young 30 d Temora 17, CSU 59 d cootamundra 12
2nd Grade;
CSU 24 d Coota 10, City 41 d Deniliquin 17

3rd Grade;
CSU 12 d Junee 10
Womens'-A-Side;

City 72 d Deni 0

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Some big margins there, yms, apart from Ag/Tumut. Is that the level of the farmboys in 2105 2015?

Well spotted, young fella. Trust you're just as observant with the whistle.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
so were Waratahs that good or Griffith that Bad on Saturday ?
Looks like the Griffith Blacks have reverted back to their old habits of "poor travellers" for their away games
their defense of their 1st Grade premiership is in big trouble .
Wouldn't be surprised if they 'stacked' their 3rd Grade to make sure they win a premiership this year - remember for some strang reason that haven't got a 2nd Grade this year ??

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wouldn't be surprised if they 'stacked' their 3rd Grade to make sure they win a premiership this year - remember for some strang reason that haven't got a 2nd Grade this year ??

LOL nice work on your completely fabricated speculation. I am sure it will go down as one of the most insightful, important comments on GAGR.

In any case as far as I am aware like rugby as a whole player numbers were well down so the decision was made not to field a second grade side in order to provide a more appealing route to the 17s and other young players along with the older blokes rather than throwing them straight into second grade.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Sorry to strike a Nerve - Ouch
Rumour has it the Blacks have had 35 players for 3rd Grade matches at Home this year and players are complaining they can't get a game ?
I'm sure the Griffith Committee will work out the right strategies and demands on others for 2016

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does not surprise me. I am not with the club anymore but a home game especially when word gets out that they have strung a few games together always meant that everyone and their mothers would come out of the woodwork looking for a 3rd grade game. Of course when there is an away game and only 10 players they are no where to be seen

Country_seahorse

Bob McCowan (2)
Is anyone game enough to predict who will feature in both division grandfinals?
With the way Waratahs are playing im tipping them to sneak in with Albury.

With Romano's cup, CSU have to be favourites and rightly so, clear front runners on the ladder. The way the yabbies have played in recent weeks, I'd tip them to feature as well. But if city can get there best 15 fit and firing im sure they could be a dark horse.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Is anyone game enough to predict who will feature in both division grandfinals?
I'm happy to let others put their tipping hats on, it will be what it will be.

I'm interested to hear more about the meeting between the one team clubs about the village one-team competition that is being mooted for 2016.

Has anyone got any mail on the meeting regarding this concept? I hear it's pretty specific to a certain geographic region. . .

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm happy to let others put their tipping hats on, it will be what it will be.

I'm interested to hear more about the meeting between the one team clubs about the village one-team competition that is being mooted for 2016.

Has anyone got any mail on the meeting regarding this concept? I hear it's pretty specific to a certain geographic region.
Does the old South West comp rise again basically? With a few tweaks....

Status
Not open for further replies.