• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

nipnipnip

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm happy to let others put their tipping hats on, it will be what it will be.

I'm interested to hear more about the meeting between the one team clubs about the village one-team competition that is being mooted for 2016.

Has anyone got any mail on the meeting regarding this concept? I hear it's pretty specific to a certain geographic region.

First off its not a village comp. It is a competition idea that is being floated by numerous clubs in the area that struggle year to year with player numbers/recruitment to field 2 to 3 teams. No club wants to see a demise of rugby to a point where the club folds and these are the positive steps being taken by those clubs.

One of the best points in the new competition idea is the continuing of women's 7's as this is going from strength to strength. 2nd grade teams for some clubs will be an option even if it only 10 a side.

Most clubs that are being involved in this venture have been very positive in their responses as everyone wants to see rugby stay strong throughout the district. Although the proposed competition may not be as competitive as SIRU it will be a place for everyone to showcase their talents and not have to struggle week to week.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
looks pretty impressive to me - can you name the Towns that are likely to make up the Competition
You'd probably want about a minimum of 6 for starters

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Round Fourteen Preview:
There are some solid games on offer for the rugby enthusiast this weekend and some interesting scenarios from 2nd to 5th place in the Premier Division. Will Waratahs be hurt by their injuries again? Can the Phantoms rise above? What impact will returning players have for the Blacks? How far is it from Tumut to Hay?

Check back on Saturday evening for the First Grade scores.

PREMIER DIVISION:

Albury (1) v Ag College (6) @ Murrayfield, Albury

The Steamers will welcome a home game again this week against an Ag College outfit that has failed to fire on all cylinders so far this year. Aggies have been competitive enough in patches but have lacked that ability to sustain pressure or put a team to the sword when the opportunity arises.

Albury on the other hand have sent a clear message to the competition – come and get us. A comprehensive victory over the undefeated Leeton Phantoms last week was a clear sign that the Steamers are the benchmark in 2015. They have managed to bag 12 bonus points from 12 matches played which is a solid result in anyone’s books.

Leeton (2) v Waratahs (3) – Match of the Round @ Murrumbidgee College Grounds, Yanco

The sleeping giant appears to have awakened at this late stage of the season with 5 wins on the trot. Waratahs have been playing some good footy of late and will be keen to continue with this trend this weekend.

Injuries and unavailability’s will be a feature for the Waratahs this weekend with Steve Tracey having the week off and Matt Shortis out with a broken jaw from last week. These guys are two key players in the Waratah’s backline and their ability to slice a team wide open will be missed this weekend. Will Farrell Moata and Maika Ravouvou be able to exploit this?

The Phantoms seem to have hit a bit of a slide but will be a different team at home in what is an important game for them and the competition makeup. The Phantoms need to win the up-front battle to allow their backs to sing and this weekend could be a good opportunity for this to happen.

Leeton suffered their first loss for the year last weekend at the hands of the Steamers and will likely be keen to make amends for that loss and probably got a good idea of areas they need to improve on. Waratahs will likely take a similar attitude to this game, in that it will give them a chance to assess where they actually sit and how they will likely fair over the coming weeks.

Griffith (4) v Tumut (5) @ Hay No 1 Oval, Hay

A big trip from Tumut to the Hay plains is on the cards this weekend for the Bulls in what will be a tough encounter for the boys against a Blacks outfit that need to get their campaign back on track.

The Blacks have been hurt by a few key injuries in the past few weeks but will be buoyed by the return of some of those key players this weekend which will add some starch to their team. I would expect to see these guys have an impact on Saturday and that Tumut will need to work hard against the Blacks.

Tumut can play a structured game plan when it suits them and they get good results when they control the game around their 5/8. When they get that solid structure, it does give Tino Manualevo the chance to link up with some of their speedsters out wide.

First Division:

Cootamundra (1) v Wagga City (9) @ Country Club Oval, Cootamundra

This is a tough gig for the Boiled Lollies, on the road, following a bye and up against a team that love playing at home. Coota can take down some of their bigger opponents with a grinding and uncompromising style of footy and they should have good numbers at home to be able to support that style.

Wagga City have not been able to click consistently this year, they have some solid strike power in their ranks and need these guys to stand up this weekend and over the coming weeks, particularly as they are playing against a team that will be happy to take a scalp this weekend.

Young (8) v Deniliquin – 2nd Grade Only

Temora (10) v CSU (7) @ Temora Recreation Ground, Temora

The Tuskers had some good attacking opportunities against the Yabbies last week and if they can build on some of the more structured aspects of their game, they will be more than competitive against CSU.

Reddies are at the top of the First Division ladder and deserve to be there as they have been a more consistent team than others in this division. They will be happy to welcome back prop Brad Crawford to the fold who will be a key player up front this week.

nipnipnip

Frank Nicholson (4)
looks pretty impressive to me - can you name the Towns that are likely to make up the Competition

At the moment there is very strong interest from 9 clubs with another 5 showing interest at being involved. Some of these clubs are currently in other zones but the travel and level of rugby is something they want to address hence the attraction to this new venture.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
First off its not a village comp.

I know mate, only stirring! :)

Most clubs that are being involved in this venture have been very positive in their responses as everyone wants to see rugby stay strong throughout the district.

While I think that it's a good idea for clubs to be proactive and to get on the front foot with a proposal to SIRU/Brumbies Rugby, for me, there seems to be an element of exclusivity about this proposal that may need to be thrashed out a bit with the Brumbies and SIRU as they have a responsibility to all clubs in the ACT/Southern NSW area - "Brumbies Region".

Deni/Hay/Junee seem to have been left out a bit and I think this is something that the Brumbies and SIRU will likely need to consider. Maybe there is scope for these teams to be involved with the proposal in some kind of cross-over format?

Has consideration been given to the running of such a competition? Who is providing referees for this competition? What does the region look like? I hear names such as Traralga, Condobolin, West Wyalong etc mentioned and there is a fair area to cover there. With approx. 14 teams being mentioned, is there a proposed draw in circulation? How many games are each club playing in the year? Where will finals be played? Have any of the clubs got two grounds? Juniors pathway? Promotion/Relegation to SIRU? There are a lot of questions that will take time to answer.

I'll be interested to see what proposals are put forward for presentation at the AGM at the end of the year and ultimately, it's positive to be talking about these sort of ventures now rather than during the off-season as prior planning is essential in the success of any change to the competition in 2016.

nipnipnip

Frank Nicholson (4)
I know mate, only stirring! :)

While I think that it's a good idea for clubs to be proactive and to get on the front foot with a proposal to SIRU/Brumbies Rugby, for me, there seems to be an element of exclusivity about this proposal that may need to be thrashed out a bit with the Brumbies and SIRU as they have a responsibility to all clubs in the ACT/Southern NSW area - "Brumbies Region".

Deni/Hay/Junee seem to have been left out a bit and I think this is something that the Brumbies and SIRU will likely need to consider. Maybe there is scope for these teams to be involved with the proposal in some kind of cross-over format?

That's a good point and they are being considered along with the other clubs you have mentioned below. It could become another Presidents Cup nth/sth comp if there is say 16 teams all up. I would all depend on the amount of towns able to provide the women's team and possibly a reserve side.

Has consideration been given to the running of such a competition? Who is providing referees for this competition? What does the region look like? I hear names such as Traralga, Condobolin, West Wyalong etc mentioned and there is a fair area to cover there. With approx. 14 teams being mentioned, is there a proposed draw in circulation? How many games are each club playing in the year? Where will finals be played? Have any of the clubs got two grounds? Juniors pathway? Promotion/Relegation to SIRU? There are a lot of questions that will take time to answer.

All these points have been addressed by each individual club as they put forward their support to SIRU and the Brumbies. The point has been made that it has to be done right from the start. Hopefully it is sorted so the Juniors are looked after so we continue to encourage everyone to play. Alot of questions that hopefully get sorted and keep everybody happy!

I'll be interested to see what proposals are put forward for presentation at the AGM at the end of the year and ultimately, it's positive to be talking about these sort of ventures now rather than during the off-season as prior planning is essential in the success of any change to the competition in 2016.

Independent

Herbert Moran (7)

I am not privy to any information, but I'd imagine that the comp in question could or would look something like this;
Coota
Young
Harden
Temora
Junee
Grenfell
West Wyalong
Condo (at a stretch!)

I'd be focusing on one solid squad for each club rather than 10 a side rugby replacing second grade as it could turn it into a novelty act.

Here is an out of the box thought; all of the surplus 3rd graders at Ag College could also be included in the competition??

The split comp has to change in order to strengthen rugby across the zone. There needs to be a working party or sub committee formed to investigate the best way forward for all clubs (big or small, strong or weak), as it something which cant or shouldn't be done overnight. I'd be starting ASAP.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Coota
Young
Harden
Temora
Junee
Grenfell
West Wyalong
Condo (at a stretch!)

I'd be focusing on one solid squad for each club rather than 10 a side rugby replacing second grade as it could turn it into a novelty act.

I hear the above names being put forward as well as clubs such as Yass, Taralga, Booroowa, Crookwell. Add Deni and Hay to that and that's an enormous competition and there are many logistics that would come into play with such a large competition.

Whatever proposal is put forward by the clubs (if they do put something to SIRU/Brumbies) I think it needs to consider all the possibilities for the competition as a whole.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Some of the latest posts have been very interesting reading
Sometimes trying to come up with a Competition or Competitions based on limited Travel and similaar ability of teams is just about impossible.
Clubs have their peaks & troughs - look at Leeton this year & Temora won the Romano's Cup a couple of years ago & looked to be heading for bigger & better thinggs ?
Tumut have 3 Grades at the moment but that could change very quickly
The Concept / Idea is really good but it needs the likes of NSW Country, Brumbies Rugby, Monaro, SIRU & Central west sitting down together and looking at the Big Picture.
Forget the historic Competitions etc and try & come up with a format that gets as close as possible to helping Clubs with Travel and generally being on a level playing field as far as standards of the participating Clubs

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Round 14 Results

Premier Division

1st Grade;
Leeton 15 d Wagga Waratahs 0, Albury 101 d Wagga Ag College 0, Tumut 32 d Griffith 26

2nd Grade;
Leeton 26 d Waratahs 22, Ag College 45 d Albury 14, Hay 21 d Tumut 7

3rd Grade;
Waratahs 19 d Leeton 10, Griffith 30 d Tumut 0

Womens' 7-A-Side;
Leeton 46 d Waratahs 7, Ag College 22 d Albury 10, Griffith 27 d Tumut 5

1st Division;
1st Grade
CSU 33 d Temora 31, Wagga City 55 d Cootamundra 17

2nd Grade;
City 24 d Cootamundra 17, Young 17 d Deniliquin 12

3rd Grade;
City 12 d Junee 7

Womens'-A-Side;
CSU 27 d Temora 15, Young 22 d Deniliquin 7

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Flabbergasted by the Ag College score - how can they only lose 7-31 when they played earlier in the year and now lose by such a big score
Aggies have a few Rep players in their ranks as well
I wonder where the arrows are pointing ??

always rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
I was certainly surprised. Aggies were tipped by many to be a good chance this year. They had a number of players in the Brumbies provincial team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country_seahorse

Bob McCowan (2)
Just goes to show that not all wagga teams need to make up the rep team. There's a good spread of quality players outside wagga. And Albury have shown that this year. They are a class outfit, a bad day for them is still a great day for most teams.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Just goes to show that not all wagga teams need to make up the rep team. There's a good spread of quality players outside wagga. And Albury have shown that this year. They are a class outfit, a bad day for them is still a great day for most teams.

No doubt, the result speaks for itself and it's more than possible to argue that Albury have been a shining light on the border for a number of seasons now.

Are you aware that players nominate themselves for the Rep Program and that the 2015 team had mnore players from outside Wagga in the rep team?

The following guys have all played rep football this year from outside Wagga:
Aaron MacDougall, Sam Allen, Blake Le Cornu, James Olds, Richard Manion, Ash Lefevre, Lex Botha, Liam Krautz, Tino Manualevo, Peter Vorster, Chris Latu, Farrell Moata, Bill Bevan, Maika Ravouvou, Pita Volau = 15

The following guys all played rep football from Wagga:
James Curgenven, Rambo Lagaali, Ben Leaper, Tom Dunstan, Stu Garrett, Tanian Naude, Sam Hobbs, Jock Munro, Steve Tracey, James Daley = 10

I reckon the ladder in 2015 is a fair reflection of the strength of the competition, in the first week of the split, the top four was Albury, Leeton, Griffith, Tumut which is a great wrap for those clubs and something that should be encouraged.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
No takers on the Wagga-centric debate? That's a surprise, usually that topic brings all sorts out of the woodwork! :)

General Bye this weekend folks, enjoy the week off.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well done to Her (Sammy) on her selection.
The SIRU Women's 7-A-Side Comp is starting to produce some real stars. keep your eye out for Sarah Hogan in the near future - she can play

Status
Not open for further replies.