• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
What sort of changes are you looking for Fox? Most seem pretty happy with the way the comp is running - there was the opportunity for change by adding a couple of rounds but clubs didn't support it.
My mail is that assumption may not necessarily be correct.

Some targeted direction for the future of the competition, how to attract more players ie: = more teams or clubs.
More communication with the wider rugby community.
Player welfare management
Easier access to information regarding clubs including coaches, team managers and referees responsibilities on game day and competition by-laws, local rules, etc.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
My mail is that assumption may not necessarily be correct.

Some targeted direction for the future of the competition, how to attract more players ie: = more teams or clubs.
More communication with the wider rugby community.
Player welfare management
Easier access to information regarding clubs including coaches, team managers and referees responsibilities on game day and competition by-laws, local rules, etc.

In regard to the lengthening the comp everyone at the AGM seem pretty positive and I know Mick McTaggert was keen, so not sure why it didn't happen - I assume that when the clubs were asked to respond formally they didn't follow through???

I'm still not sure what you are after with some of the other points - what is the issue with player welfare? surely you are not suggesting we are asking player to play too much, we only have a 14 round comp.

In regards to match day responsibility, all that information was sent to club contacts on the Friday by Mick along with the referee appointments, the comp by laws before the start of the season. I can only assume the relevant contacts for your club are not up to date or haven't passes this information on.

I agree communication with the wider rugby community can always be improved, this year there has been little fanfare in the lead up to the start of the season.

The new Rugby App looks pretty good - just need to get the clubs fill it out like they are meant to and we can access all scores and scorers straight away.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I think it's pretty obvious the season is too short. There are no real possibilities of any new teams. The tyranny of distance is the issue with numbers of players traveling to away games. We need some 'gala days' in the central location of Wagga. About 3 times a year we should have an entire round at Connolly. Great chance to catch up as well.

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes, I agree Paul, that is exactly the type of innovation and thinking outside the box that we need. Maybe 2 would be enough.
We will get more players, teams and clubs, if there is something good to come to.
Remember that there are still some clubs in the north of the area, that may wish, at some time in the future, to revisit playing in the SIRU competition again, if it offers them something better than where they currently are.
The strategic decisions that need to be made for this type of thing to be considered is how to finish off and improve the Connolly complex at Wagga.
The NSW State Government gave away heaps of more to regional areas for improvement of sporting complexes and parks over the last few years. Tell me why rugby in Wagga didn’t get any? and don’t say because we had already got some because that was a long time ago now.

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
Sorry auto correct gremlins in the system

The NSW State Government gave away heaps of money to regional areas for improvement of sporting complexes and parks over the last few years. Tell me why rugby in Wagga didn’t get any? and don’t say because we had already got some because that was a long time ago now.

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
What would be the strategy you would use 'Silver Fox' to attract more players and therefore more teams into the Competition.
The latest trend seems to be that some clubs are really struggling to put even 2 teams on the paddock at the moment (Leeton had a lot of players play both 1sts and 2nds against Albury last Saturday)
Volunteers in Club Land are as scarce as hen's teeth at the moment so you don't want to burden them too much
let the Players play, the Referees Ref, the Coach's coach the Managers's manage,the spectators support , Ground Marshall's Ground Marshall, the Canteen organiser run the Canteen and then everyone should have a great Day

Highland Buddah

Frank Row (1)
Each Rugby Competition in Australia (just like SIRU) will always be wanting more players to participate in their Competition each Saturday

If you get more players you need more Match Officials (they basically go hand in hand)
There are 4 matches being played at the Griffith Ex-Servicemen's Oval tomorrow in the SIRU Seniors Competition and only 1 Referee has been appointed for the day (I presume he will look after 1st Grade) - so what happens with the other 3 Games (3rd Grade, Womens & 2nd Grade)- are these Games refereed by people from Griffith ? , are they accredited to Referee such games ? - Rugby has a very heavy focus of Safety associated with it so this must be a concern for our local officials, including our Referees Association
Lets just hope no serious injuries occur in these non-appointed Referee matches because questions will be asked relating to such an injury and accreditations will no doubt be checked
I for one don't think this is a Good Environment at the moment for both SIRU & SIRRA and more importantly the Players & supporters of all the Clubs

I think all members of the comp have to be responsible for helping improve referee stocks, most certainly members of each club should have one or two boys willing to do lower grade games and ladies games.
Let's face it, it is a thankless job and a tough gig at times. Should the clubs be looking at financially helping SIRRA to make it more attractive and then in turn SIRRA help use that money for training courses/camps etc.
It is certainly not ideal at the moment. What should we be doing as a Rugby community to help?

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
I also think that clubland will have to step up and fill some of the void for match referees.
Smart rugby is the minimum requirement to referee a match and this covers off on the safety point of view, but it would be much more rewarding for the referee, players and spectators, if they were more qualified and knew more about what to do on the field.
I am sure if the clubs contacted the referees association they would be welcomed with open arms and given as much support as possible to become quality referees.
There must be plenty of 35 to 40 year old ex-players out there, who would be more than capable of taking on refereeing and enjoy the opportunity to be back out on the field again, without the physical pain, but enjoyable involvement.
It's up to the players, club officials and spectators to make it a comfortable environment for new referees willing to step on the field.
It is the responsibility of everyone in the zone who enjoys rugby to ensure the right environment exists for match and club officials so that players will want to be involved in the competition - get the environment right and the rest follows.
I know where all the referees have gone, they got old and had no one to replace them because young people didn't want to become referees. This situation needs to be fixed or the comp will dwindle over time.
I don't think clubs need to financially support SIRRA to find more referees, the things that can be done for free are far more important in resolving the issue.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Hi folks,

All good points regarding referee numbers, I agree with some and have some thoughts on others.

I think it's important to acknowledge that SIRRA is a volunteer association and no referee volunteers their time for money. Our members are involved because they are rugby fans first and foremost who want to give something back to the game.

Numbers have declined for a whole range of different reasons, however I see some positive opportunity in the void that is out there at present. The SIRRA group are here to support rugby and are aiming to mentor as many club based officials as possible this season. The CTA's aren't great but as long as they are SmartRugby accredited, they can do the game. SIRRA want to help clubs in this regard and are willing to assist on game day wherever possible.

The extension of the above is to get clubs (senior and junior) along to a referee course to further progress their experience. I see junior clubs as a great proving ground for new referees and the numbers of games in that competition makes the grade comp a side gig with 86 games in Tumut on Sunday.

Some clubs have been proactive in discussing how they can assist on game day, others have a way to go at this stage. The reality is that every game needs a referee and the competition needs handy referees to ensure the standard remains high. Don't be afraid to reach out to SIRRA, I know that the referees are talking to clubs week in week out and will help out in whatever fashion they can.

Looking forward to another great round of footy tomorrow !

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks yourmatesam sounds like good things are happening out there. Hopefully everyone gets on board!
Big day for a referee with 86 games, plenty of chances to refine skills on some unsuspecting kids, as long as the parents behave themselves.
Good luck for the season and hope you are inundated with people wanting to referee

Phantom

Frank Nicholson (4)
Second round and the winners from last week may well be the top four come finals:
Predictions form for tomorrow;
City to dominate reddies by 20+
Griffith to be worried by the Aggies tenacity but should still win comfortably 15+
Leeton to burn Tumut out wide but will struggle in tight, phantoms by 25+
Tahs to completely roll the Steamers. 50+

Big tick for the commentary regarding rounding up some refs, talks cheap lets get on board and help,out.

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
Probably agree with your predictions for today Phantom.
Agree that everyone needs to back up their thoughts on getting more refs for the comp.
Talk to yourmatesam and get something happening

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
Intersting article on the State of Rugby in Australia in the Herald this morning

Grass Roots Rugby is obviously still getting the raw end of the Deal as far as $$ is concerned

Are our Regos paying for the Administrators & Players ?

If things aren't fixed up shortly our Game will be in a lot of trouble and AFL will be the only sport played in this Country because at least they put big $$$$ into their Grass Roots

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...e-gamble-is-falling-flat-20180413-p4z9es.html

I agree with the article completely, having been to ARU and Waratahs headquarters, the top heavy approach is more than evident.
It is a business but I question their business acumen

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
Good to see CSU on the winners podium, regardless of how they got there, it shows the players that they can win. One person doesn’t win a game but can help a lot.
I guess Griffith fell foul of some old habits and Aggies are a typical Uni team, their recent lifestyle activities often reflects their capability.
Leeton and Tahs roll on.
I assume clubs made sure every game had a smart rugby accredited referee, haven’t seen or heard any complaints....yet.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
It looks at this early stage of the season that this year's grand final will either be played at Connolly or No 1 Oval Leeton. Tumut clearly look 3rd placegetters while The Boiled Lollies are possibly looking at the spoon. The uni teams, Steamers and Blacks will be fighting for minor semi final places.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Does anyone know where I can find the SIRU Competition Ladders on Line for this year
The SIRU website only lists the Round 14 Ladders from last year ?

http://www.rugbylink.com.au/home.aspx?entityid=53034

I hope this link works. The easiest way is to download the RugbyAU App via Google Play or Apple App Store. Search for "Southern" and select Southern Inland Zone which will have ladders, draws for all senior competitions.

Saw some footage of City & CSU on the TV last night and it looked like both teams had a lot of new faces in their lineups

Baden Power was a clear standout for CSU on the weekend, well supported by Billy Boys and the young second rower (forget his name).

City were well served by Carl Willetts in the centres and Nathan Seymour up front.

I'd expect to see Wagga City come into their own a bit more as the season progresses, I saw a number of 2017 Grade players in 2nds on the weekend. I'd bargain that it won't be long before those players end up in 1st Grade.

It was a well contested game on the weekend with some good running options for both teams. Keep an eye out for Hamish McMahon (CSU) later in the year.

Was that James Maloney playing 3rds?

Status
Not open for further replies.