• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2019

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
what has happened to the Tumut Bulls ?led the Competition after 3 Rounds and have nosedived badly in the last month.
Significant injuries across 1st and 2nd Grade for the Bulls mate.

The Way things are shaping up there look to be only 3 Teams that could reallistically win the Comp this season - Waratahs (favourites), Ag College (2nd Favourites) and Albury (the Smokies) - City, Tumut, Griffith and Leeton have been found out in the last couple of Rounds and simply haven't got the players, fitness and cohesion of the other 3 Teams
There are worrying signs approaching for the future of both CSU & Leeton - Numbers are really poor and results are reflecting this

I'd argue that fitness levels across the competition aren't where they need to be. From what I've seen, City and Ag College are the two fittest teams in the competition at this stage, which is possibly a reflection of the average age of their 1st XV?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Hi All,
New here. Interesting opinions from a few blokes here.
Nick
In a week where the focus turns to Rep Footy, it was remiss of me not to welcome SIRU Rep Coach Nick McCarthy to the forum recently, while this is clearly Nick's first (and at this stage only) posting on the forum, it feels like Nick has been a regular on the local scene for much longer than that.
Welcome to GAGR Nick, all the best to you and the SIRU Rep Team this weekend in the 'Berra! While there are some SIRU Rep detractors on here, there are also supporters who are rooting for you and the team.
SIRU have a long standing record at this competition and I'm sure they'll present a mauling game plan that identifies closely with our Brumbies roots.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
2019 siru representative selection criteria. Nominate Train Trial. Siru even paid accommodation costs for some players from outlying areas. A round of rugby is forgone so a trial can take place. After all that it’s been suggested a player is selected from outside this structure. After all the effort and expense of siru and those people who did follow the pathway set down by siru. Seriously? Agree Sam, all the best to our boys on the weekend. Interested though to get your thoughts on the controversial selection.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Agree Sam, all the best to our boys on the weekend. Interested though to get your thoughts on the controversial selection.
I'm going to sit on the fence here and say that I can see both sides of the argument.

In the first instance, the guys that have shown up for the trials etc deserve to be recognised for that effort.

I can also see that a player who has played Rep footy previously and may not have been available for trials due to work etc may also become eligible. I'd expect in that instance that the player has likely been in touch with SIRU in some regard to discuss their situation?

Without knowing how the selections have been made, it's difficult to comment. I do know that the selections were made by a range of people which indicates to me that there is broad support at that level for the starting XV.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
You’ve made some good points Sam. It’s going to make things difficult next season to continue the same program if selectors don’t stick to the rules first time around. Players considering nominating, doing the training and participating in the trials will be understandably cynical. If there are extenuating circumstances surrounding this selection, that’s OK. Just be transparent to at least some degree and give some sort of explanation.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
You’ve made some good points Sam. It’s going to make things difficult next season to continue the same program if selectors don’t stick to the rules first time around. Players considering nominating, doing the training and participating in the trials will be understandably cynical. If there are extenuating circumstances surrounding this selection, that’s OK. Just be transparent to at least some degree and give some sort of explanation.

I suppose there are two ways of looking at that Paul, is there potential in there for some good talk amongst the coaches, players and Board Members within the local competition to promote the value of playing Rep Footy?

I agree transparency would assist with this, but do the players already understand what is happening in that regard?

I reckon the best thing for rep footy would be to identify a plan for the next 2-4 years and promote that within the clubs.

For example, if we're building a core group of players within the local comp and we know those footballers are available and in the area for a period of time, it would be possible to start building some longer term goals for the rep team such as off-season training programs, invite fringe players to take part, specific coaching skills for the coaches and players, maybe a pre-season camp in Canberra at the Brumbies bazillion dollar training facility and possibly even a tour somewhere?

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
That’s exactly how it should be done Sam. The development of the outline you have posted above should be somewhat of a blueprint for the future.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
SIRU Rep Coaches must be on a Media Blackout til the Brumbies Provincial Championships are over?

In other news, I was not aware of the options for the Women's Rep Program. Still in it's early stages, the initial plan is for the SIRU Women to trial against Uni Norths this weekend in Canberra with the follow on being a curtain raiser in Newcastle in July for the Wallaroos 1st Test v Japan.

That is deadset fantastic news for Women's Rugby in this area!!

Well done to all the SIRU Women who have been selected!

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I’m just looking at Maulers last comment. We do actually go on to play NSW Country as we usually do, this year?

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I’m just looking at Maulers last comment. We do actually go on to play NSW Country as we usually do, this year?

The ACT provincial side go on to play the ACT under 19s and the ACT Griffins in the Capital cup. Don’t worry whistle, there won’t be a bye for it mate.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Wow, the media blackout comment clearly hit a nerve didn't it! Apologies for any offence caused.

My thoughts are that it's difficult to get much information on what's happening with the rep program, while we've been lucky to have the SIRU Rep Coach commenting here on the forum, there really hasn't been much information floating around about the program.

The issue as I see it is that the rugby public don't know much about what's happening. I think I'm a pretty active member of the local scene, I get to the footy, I speak to rugby people regularly at clubs (Senior and Junior levels) and it just seems hard to find out what's doing. When I am aware of things, I'll talk about them and make comment where appropriate - and my overarching aim is always to promote footy in the area.

As a punter, we've found out three points in the past two days that would have been organised some time ago. 1. Format for the Rep Program has changed; 2. There is a great stepping stone for the Women's program with a curtain raiser for a Wallaroo's Test v Japan in Newcastle; 3. The BP Team will play in a tournament called the Capital Cup (which is not a tournament that I'm familiar with).

If I knew about these changes, I would have spoken about them, shared my thoughts on them and promoted the positives here. But we don't know about them, we don't hear about them and that makes it difficult to talk about them.

I'm not bashing the Rep program, I'm keen to support it, I always have been and I will continue to do so, I just wish there was some more information rolling around about the program. Not everyone is going to agree with how the program rolls, but that's life. I'll be keeping an eye on the scores of the rep program and wish all the players (men and women) the best of luck this weekend, I hope they give it everything they've got this weekend, play some good footy, drink some beer and enjoy running around at a higher level.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Wow, the media blackout comment clearly hit a nerve didn't it! Apologies for any offence caused.

My thoughts are that it's difficult to get much information on what's happening with the rep program, while we've been lucky to have the SIRU Rep Coach commenting here on the forum, there really hasn't been much information floating around about the program.

The issue as I see it is that the rugby public don't know much about what's happening. I think I'm a pretty active member of the local scene, I get to the footy, I speak to rugby people regularly at clubs (Senior and Junior levels) and it just seems hard to find out what's doing. When I am aware of things, I'll talk about them and make comment where appropriate - and my overarching aim is always to promote footy in the area.

As a punter, we've found out three points in the past two days that would have been organised some time ago. 1. Format for the Rep Program has changed; 2. There is a great stepping stone for the Women's program with a curtain raiser for a Wallaroo's Test v Japan in Newcastle; 3. The BP Team will play in a tournament called the Capital Cup (which is not a tournament that I'm familiar with).

If I knew about these changes, I would have spoken about them, shared my thoughts on them and promoted the positives here. But we don't know about them, we don't hear about them and that makes it difficult to talk about them.

I'm not bashing the Rep program, I'm keen to support it, I always have been and I will continue to do so, I just wish there was some more information rolling around about the program. Not everyone is going to agree with how the program rolls, but that's life. I'll be keeping an eye on the scores of the rep program and wish all the players (men and women) the best of luck this weekend, I hope they give it everything they've got this weekend, play some good footy, drink some beer and enjoy running around at a higher level.

With the general tone in this space, inaccuracies have the potential to set off certain members and I admit I was one yesterday. I reckon through their SIRU social media platforms and the DA a fair bit of info has been provided. Just my opinion. Obviously there can always be more however this can call to the DA, and local news as much as SIRU.

Re the capital cup. This is an ACT administered event recently finalised from what I can see via their social media platforms.
I like this new event. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Well done to the people who sorted the ladies match pre wallaroos year. That’s a great scenario and a real positive for the zone and rugby here.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
You can’t have spectators citing players. Stop bagging us for asking questions Mauler. Even the players don’t know the rep program. They don’t know anything much re Capital cup. If anything.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Here ! Here ! PB - Stop looking through your rose coloured Glasses Mauler - Rep Footy is good when it has significance, teams are selected as they were originally announced they were going to be and people know the program from Day 1 - that hasn't happened this year so why can't we ask for it to be better

When is the Capital Cup on ?? so that I can have a look at the Draw and after the Brumbies Provincial Team is picked we can work out what players won't be available for their Clubs on that particular date

It seems like the possibility of playing a Tasmanian Team has been doing the Rounds for over a Decade now - please let it go

Solution - SIRU should go to Country Week next year and in the Future to get a taste of real Rep Footy

Why would you want to send our players to a carnival that is a road block. I’ll spell it out for you.

Regardless of how well we go we’re stuck in the Richardson shield (tier 2) competition and can’t have players selected for country. Regardless of how Gun our players are.

Whistle I think those glasses suit you also mate.
Country week(end) is 2 games now. Not the grand tournament you remember from your glory days.

The capital cup is in September. Don’t worry it’s not diluting our comp by taking players away.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
4 probable semi finalists meet this Saturday. Will Albury or City step up? If Leeton only take 1 team to CSU they’ll still win both grades. Interesting to see if Blacks continue to travel with good numbers. Griffith could give Tumut a good game if they do.

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
It’s obviously just a consequence of a lack of qualified referees/touch judges in this zone.
In other big news Leeton have pulled out of the second grade competition for 2019.
Is it a soft option? Surely they could of found some more players or should SIRU of helped them put some strategies in place to recruit players ?