• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2019

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Juat saw the replay of yesterday's Round 6 match between City and Leeton (City won 37-26) on Wagga Tv / SIRU Facebook - it had everything
What happens when the Referee sends the wrong player from the field (Red Card) ?? because that certainly happened towards the end of the first half (No. 6 gets his marching orders but No.8 for City is the culprit)
I presume No.8 has to face the Judiciary for the Spear Tackle he put on the Leeton player- the No.12 for City who was the 3rd man in threw a punch at a Leeton player (needed treatment) and only got a Yellow Card - very confusing- should be cited
Other scores were Ag College 39 d Griffith 12, Albury 37 d Tumut 10, Waratahs 51 d CSU 7
Both teams looked off the pace for most of the match but there were plenty of points scored and some of the Leeton forwards put on some pretty big Hits
City play Albury next Saturday (Wagga TV), Tumut host Waratahs, Leeton host Wagga Ag and CSU host Griffith

A couple of points here..
I think incidents such as this (I saw a similar situation in the Tahs v Ag match) show the importance of having badged AR's at all games.

I believe the onus rests with the club to identify the player who was issued the card. Rightly or wrongly.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
A couple of points here..
I think incidents such as this (I saw a similar situation in the Tahs v Ag match) show the importance of having badged AR's at all games.

I believe the onus rests with the club to identify the player who was issued the card. Rightly or wrongly.

Pretty sure there was a badged AR (Leeton President Tim Allen) but he was not consulted.

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
Well done to Hay Rugby Club on a great weekend. Saturday night footy with the 'cutlets' as well and then the whipper snippers on Sunday.
With the way they keep developing their club, could a potential return to the 1st grade competition be on the cards in the future?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
That’s him. Do his clothes mean he isn’t badged?

Clearly his clothing has nothing to do with his qualifications.

This is an interesting discussion in a season where referee numbers are down, with more CTA referees becoming part of the game and minimal qualified AR's being involved.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
The referee here at Griffith on Saturday was excellent. They (refs) definitely don’t have the situational support they need. Home clubs should provide dressed badged ARs. Only watched 1st grade. League in Group 20 has accredited referees, linesmen - 16s through to 1sts. Group 20 jnrs have accredited referees. Most games 6s through to 14s have accredited properly dressed lines people.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Pretty sure the judiciary will follow due process and come to a conclusion on each case.

Wagga City could be honorable and send both players with the No. 8 pleading guilty to the offence, however I can also see that if one of my better players was able to get of on a technicality I would be exploring how to make that happen...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Red Cards, Yellow Cards, Suspensions, a wrong player sent off & Citings - what an eventful Round 6 we had in SIRU last Weekend.
Eventful is an understatement isn't it mate!! 3x RC, 3x citings and a total of 17 weeks in suspensions handed out, the judiciary definitely had their work cut out for themselves.

Ag College travel to Leeton for the second time this Season ??

Yep, the "Country" clubs get an additional home game against their "City" opponents, it's part of the additional rounds that were added to the regular season draw. I believe this will be mirrored in the 2020 draw somehow.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
No referee’s or AR’s report. No video. No case. Besides being a very long suspension based on observations of un-officials surely this sets a dangerous precedent. The correspondence wasn’t from 3 people who went along randomly to watch a rugby game. They, I gather from what Reasoning said, are aligned to one of the clubs. Could we have an appeal based on 3 stat decs from CSU spectators who saw things from a different perspective?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Where are all these apparently qualified Referee Assistants ?
They don't exist, that's the rub. Referee's Association have been raising referee numbers as an issue with clubs, at SIRU AGM's, Board Level and Brumbies Level for at least 3 seasons. Falls on deaf ears.

How can u suspend a guy for 12 weeks without a Video of the incident and / or a Referee's Report of the incident (Neither available)

No referee’s or AR’s report. No video. No case.
I agree fellas, the precedent is dangerous isn't it. I wonder if there's some value in getting some comms out from SIRU about what the charge was and why the suspension was so significant?
Foul Play has no place in the game, but transparency does.
A 12 week suspension would have to be one of the longest suspensions handed out in this zone since Jesus was playing halfback for the Illabo Longhorns.

Will Thomas

Frank Row (1)
Everyone getting upset about the 12 week suspension forgetting the result of the tackle. Swinging arm directly to the head, player motionless for five minutes, video evidence would result in equal to or longer suspension. I would love to hear the carry on from this thread if a player other than Waratahs was injured.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Everyone getting upset about the 12 week suspension forgetting the result of the tackle. Swinging arm directly to the head, player motionless for five minutes, video evidence would result in equal to or longer suspension. I would love to hear the carry on from this thread if a player other than Waratahs was injured.

Hey Will, welcome aboard mate.

I think the reason there is some discussion around this incident relates to there not being much information available, without knowing what the tackle looked like, it's hard to understand the suspension. Clearly there is no place for foul play in our game.

Since my post above, I've been speaking to some guys from Waratahs who have told me that the tackle was pretty sickening, allegedly an elbow to the face. Clearly that type of play has no space in our game. It reminds me of a similar incident in the early 2000's that resulted in a broken cheekbone and a civil case - something that nobody wants to go through surely.

On the plus side, I'm glad to hear Sam Bunny is ok and I'm sure the club will ensure that he comes back through the relevant processes for a concussed player.

For me, the reason that I'm unclear on why this is such a significant suspension is that I've seen incidences of dangerous tackles (causing a broken nose in one instance) that are backed by video evidence and a referee report etc that have resulted in 2 week suspensions. I see that there is some more consistency coming along with the ARU Judiciary Rules which clearly identifies how incidents need to be managed and the 12 week suspension appears to be a result of that.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Can’t have Club supporters (spectators) citing players. That’s just ridiculous. Clubs themselves should only be able to cite players with accompanying video evidence. What happens on the field is the domain of the main referee and the assistant referees. Would the 3 Waratah stat dec providers be so civic minded if they witnessed a Waratah player go unnoticed after a committing an action of foul play. Mmm I think not.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
There are worrying signs approaching for the future of both CSU & Leeton - Numbers are really poor and results are reflecting this

What are the odds of a draw between their 2nd grades next round?

They are both really struggling on the numbers front. Leeton 1st grade are a half decent team but really can't be competitive when having to play 2 matches each week. Fatigue leads to injury and ill discipline - how many cards have they had?

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
what has happened to the Tumut Bulls ?led the Competition after 3 Rounds and have nosedived badly in the last month.
Waratahs merely went thru a Training session with their win at Tumut on Saturday and the Bulls looked slow, unenthusiastic and clueless how to play attacking Rugby
The Way things are shaping up there look to be only 3 Teams that could reallistically win the Comp this season - Waratahs (favourites), Ag College (2nd Favourites) and Albury (the Smokies) - City, Tumut, Griffith and Leeton have been found out in the last couple of Rounds and simply haven't got the players, fitness and cohesion of the other 3 Teams
There are worrying signs approaching for the future of both CSU & Leeton - Numbers are really poor and results are reflecting this

Huge slide isn’t it reasoning.
Huge injury list also from what I’ve heard.
Govan, Malling, Moaut, Menzies, Friswell, Ivill, O’Donnavan, Potter are all out currently. Not many sides could cover the loss of 8 regular 1st graders.
Friswell, O’Donnell and Ivill all season Enders also.