• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Brumbies r6 @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaz

Ted Fahey (11)
Apologies. Yes. Had dismissed that hoping it was a training run and not a match.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well that was an arse kicking. Credit to the Stormers. Did their homework and turned up to play. Without Mogg and White the Brumbies had a pop gun kicking game.

George Smith is a total legend.

How the Brumbies respond is what is important now.

Reactions: tic

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
I think arse kicking is a bit harsh, 13 points not really that big a margin, especially given the last try was a gift. The boys didn't play as well as they have been, kicked the ball away far too much.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Pretty good showing by the Brumbies just got taken out at the end by the intercept. Stormers definitely were the better team, looked great on attack and shut down our attack very well. Apart from the opening 10 minutes we didn't assert any dominance but still managed to crawl out way back into the game through penalty goals just couldn't seal the deal at the end.

Zinzan

Herbert Moran (7)
I enjoyed that game even though we lost. Really missed nick whites clearing kicks and his penalty kicks that put us on attack closer to the try line. Disappointed with matt To'omua kicking ball away too much but other than that he played well. I think jake brought on the bench too late. S.Siliva, C.Fainga'a and S.Fardy should've all come on earlier, boys have been bashed up lately & fresh legs earlier would've helped.

3. G.Smith
2. C.Lealiifano
1. T.Kuidrani/M.To'omua

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
13 points an arse kicking? No, an arse kicking is when you get beaten by anything over, say 50 points :)

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
A good effort by the ponies. The score doesn't fleet the game, and a 6 point margin was about right. Kilmin was a bit lost, but the other forwards all fronted. The stormers were just stronger in the tackle and brums got no front foot ball. Coleman is also no mogg on the counter.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I think arse kicking is a bit harsh, 13 points not really that big a margin, especially given the last try was a gift. The boys didn't play as well as they have been, kicked the ball away far too much.

I didn't mean arse kicking in a disrespectful way. Truth is the Brumbies had the physical edge imposed on them that they have been imposing on other sides this year.

In the bigger picture this loss will do them no harm at all.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nobody played badly for the Brumbies, Moore, Kimlin and Carter forgot what offside was occasionally, Coleman is no Mogg but still performed well. Prior, To'omua and Lealiifano were pretty damn good. Stormers just outperformed them.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
The Stormers coaching staff should be thanking Jake for providing that extra bit of motivation to their players in the lead up to this game.

‘A lot of the squad won here the last time they played,’ said White. ‘And if you look at the stats the Stormers attack hasn’t been up to it and Allister has agreed that they need to work on their attack. If we can score some tries, they are not going to win with kicks.’
http://keo.co.za/2013/03/22/jake-targets-elton/

Is 4 tries to 1 enough 'attacking' rugby for you Jake?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Stormers are still getting Burger and Etsebeth back.

I think that's scary.

The Stormers scrum is getting better and better. The young props are learning. Were on top of the Brumbies all afternoon which I did not expect at all. I am not that convinced that Palmer is Wallaby material after that performance.

Jantjes is making a real difference to their attack. Let's see if the Stormers can travel and score bonus points. Then I'll really start to believe.

If George Smith does not start against the Lions and the Wallabies lose the series, Robbie Deans will deserve to go down. It would rate as one of the most foolish decisions in the history of the universe.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
The Stormers traditionally play a more attacking brand of rugby away than they do at Newlands. They don't tour until round 11, so they've got a chance to build some momentum (although next week will be another tough one against the Crusaders!). With games against the Hurricanes, Blues, Waratahs and Rebels, they certainly don't have the toughest of Australasian tours this year!

Bekker and Vermuelen were huge again, and that was the best game I've seen De Kock Steenkamp play! He was immense. His physicality in driving ball runners back was almost Etzebeth like.

Jantjies starting to settle nicely (Peter Grant getting injured was a blessing as I reckon he would've started this game and Jantjies would have been back to square one with confidence shattered). Good to see de Jongh back, although he didn't have too many opportunities on attack. Aplon always a threat with ball in hand, although I'm not sure he will remember much of the game after that attempted tackle on Fotu late in the game! Van Den Heever also had one of his better games.

For the Brums, George Smith was huge. Constant menace around the ruck area. The centre pairing of Lilo and Kuridrani are looking very solid. Lilo's goalkicking is very reliable. Never looked like missing. I think they missed the attacking spark that Mogg provides with his pace at the back. Also never good to lose a player on the day of the game.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Sam Carter is a very under rated player. Shit he gets through some work and all high impact.

Ruggo, he's just like his Dad (Dave), even down to the way he moves around the field. Just ask Geoff Miller or Barnaby Joyce how hard he used to hit!

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
van der Heever is slow lol. Can't believe we have run out of colored pocket rockets to put on the wing.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I like Laurie Fisher's tweet that this loss will be the making of us.

Thought the same thing meself when I heard the result. No one likes to lose ANY game, but getting through a season undefeated's damned near impossible. If the Ponies're going to lose it may as well be early in the season, and to a worthy opponent at that, but, lessons must be learnt. I wouldn't bet on the Stormers if they have to play the Ponies in Canberra come the semis.

BTW, painful 'n' all it might be but I applaud White for having the courage to rotate his squad. Resting those few tired/injured players before a long trip home may just be the winning of the Bulls match in Canberra this week.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
van der Heever is slow lol. Can't believe we have run out of colored pocket rockets to put on the wing.

He does look slow and slightly overweight - particularly compared to what he used to look like when he first came onto the scene at the Bulls. I would guess that he would still be one of the quicker players on the field though. He used to be a competitive hurdler in his younger days if I remember correctly? His acceleration may be down, but I'm sure over 60 - 80m he'd still be right up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.