• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 10's tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Super rugby 10's pre season tournament then, Super rugby season then, NRC then, Wallabies finally Wallabies spring tour.

Why not throw in a Christmas day game and players can play all year round.

Its a lot of rugby, not much recovery time for the players

Yes but the players who are likely to play in this are those who are outside the Wallaby starting XV.. You probably wouldn't player the likes of Hooper, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Kuridrani but there is ample opportunity for other guys like Speight, Tomane, Kerevi, Browning, Higgers etc

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Allegedly $2million in prize money would be offered, can't see many teams turning down the opportunity to chase that sort of windfall

The sale of special jerseys for the tournament will also be an extra income for clubs like in the NRL

PD: I want a sleeveless jersey :D

Super rugby 10's pre season tournament then, Super rugby season then, NRC then, Wallabies finally Wallabies spring tour.

Why not throw in a Christmas day game and players can play all year round.

Its a lot of rugby, not much recovery time for the players

Wallabies don't play many NRC games, also will be different. A game with 10 players have more space and fewer collisions. Will be part of the preseason IMO.

Another positive thing is that a game of 10 players can attract League supporters and grow their interest in Super Rugby

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The sale of special jerseys for the tournament will also be an extra income for clubs like in the NRL

PD: I want a sleeveless jersey :D

Wallabies don't play many NRC games, also will be different. A game with 10 players have more space and fewer collisions. Will be part of the preseason IMO.

Another positive thing is that a game of 10 players can attract League supporters and grow their interest in Super Rugby

Super rugby starts in the middle of February, with training and trials before that. When precisely is this pre-season tournament going to take place?

T

TOCC

If the promoters are offering $2million in prize money then clubs will find a way to fit it into their schedule.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I doubt player burn-out for it would be an issue either. A two day tournament consisting of short games would be about as taxing as a standard pre-season conditioning camp.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
without a full appreciation of the 10s version of the game, nor the strategies involved, here would be my Reds team (assuming OS signings not available, and I've rested pretty much all Wallabies):

10 Lachlan Turner
9 Samu Kerevi
8 Karmichael Hunt
7 Duncan Pia-aua
6 Nick Frisby

5 Jake Schatz
4 Dave McDuling
3 Sefe Faagase
2 James Hanson
1 Ben Daley

11 Andrew Ready
12 Pettowa Paraka
13 Lolo Fakaosilea
14 Chris Feauai Sautia
15 JJ Talagi

How's that look? Are scrums legit to the effect you pick actual props or do you go with converted backrowers?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
A two day tournament in the middle of a Brisbane summer will be interesting. You wouldn't want to be playing too many early games.

T

Tip

Stage a 10's tournament by all means, especially if it's privately funded.

RUPA couldn't do a "cash grab" as these games would be part of their preseason for their respective clubs.

I'd still rather that Aus & NZ get together and create a mini 7's circuit with the Super teams that runs over 3 weeks, with events hosted in Auckland, Brisbane & Sydney.

I reckon that there's quite a few lads from each and every Super Rugby franchise that fancies themselves in 7's, and there'll be a hell of a lot more coming out of the woodwork after the goal that is RWC'15 has subsided and the prospect of Rio'16 beckons.

Awesome chance for Aus & NZ to identify their best 7's players. Also an opportunity for all professional rugby players to at least have a basic understanding of how the game is played.

Also awesome chance for sum of dem $$$$$$$$$$$$

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems the biggest challenge would be fitting something into the schedule.

If the prize money is big enough, teams will be interested but you'd have to figure that it will eat into preseason training and trial matches.

Maybe it could be scheduled during the first or second weekend teams usually play trial matches so that there is still at least one more trial match before Super Rugby starts.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Sevens sucks. Do something that resembles rugby and real forwards can play.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
10s is closer to 7s than it is to 15s and once it became a chance to win money and/or prestige in a tournament it would become less and less like 15s rugby. The idea that coaches would want to use 10s to prepare for super rugby is just daft.

T

TOCC

Given the precarious state of Australian Rugby finances, i don't think concepts which could be lucrative revenue raisers should be ignored because they are daft, i agree its not ideal nor conducive with the Super Rugby season but i if the idea comes to reality i don't think it's something which can be ignored.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Given the precarious state of Australian Rugby finances, i don't think concepts which could be lucrative revenue raisers should be ignored because they are daft, i agree its not ideal nor conducive with the Super Rugby season but i if the idea comes to reality i don't think it's something which can be ignored.
How much revenue will actually be received by the participating franchises?

If there is to be $2M in prizemoney,more than likely the winners will receive $500k give or take.
Which is a nice pick up,but not really that substantial when taking into account the annual turnover of each franchise.

And only one of them can win.

How gutted would the Reds be if they collected $100k for participating,but lost one of their marquee players for the year due to injury.
They would be $4-500k out of pocket.

T

Tip

If the Brumbies are willing to risk Speight, Mogg etc at the World Club 10's then I very much doubt that a 10's/7's tournament in Australia would be an issue.

Increased Sponsor / Brand exposure etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.