• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 10's tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As a game in itself, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Rugby 10s, in fact in the 1990s there was a possibility that it was going to overtake 7s as the premier form of modified rugby. For whatever reason, that didn't happen and trying to resurrect it now, just as we have obtained Olympic status for 7s, is complete madness.

The main reason that people on these threads seem to prefer 10s over 7s is that "it is more like rugby" with more scrums, rucks, mauls and lineouts. But people who like or are likely to be attracted to a sport because of scrums, rucks mauls and lineouts are probably already 15 a side fans. In fact rugby has a sporting monopoly on scrums, rucks, mauls and lineouts. The addition of more scrums, rucks, mauls and lineouts brings more opportunity for players to slow the game down, more oportunity for cyncial infringements and thus more penalties and more referee impact. Again we already have all that stuff in 15s.

I'm a late convert to 7s and what I like about it is its simplicity. You could take just about anyone to a game and they would be able to understand what was going on. The speed and open nature of the game reduce, if not eliminate the opportunity for slow play, cynical infringements, endless scrum resets and referee impact. If you want a game to convert the masses, then 7s is it, just as T20 is "it" for cricket.

While on the subject of cricket, a number of posters have used cricket as a comparison to advocate a third form of the game. It has even been said that traditionalists once opposed limited over cricket. This is not strictly correct. Limited over cricket has been part of the establishment in England since at least the 1960s. Likewise the first international limited over game took place in 1970-71 when the Melbourne test was abandoned because of rain and when the rain eventually cleared the players agreed to play a one day match for the fans. The 1st cricket world cup was way back in 1975 - the final played a Lords, but the players in white clothing playing with a red ball and largely using the same tactics as they did in test cricket. What sent "traditionalists" into apoplexy was coloured clothing, white balls, night cricket and Kerry Packer, not the game itself.

What has really harmed 50 over cricket is that as the game evolved, it started to become completely different to test cricket and the game eventually became a bit boring. Slog for the first and last 10 overs and push singles for the other 30. So the rise of T20 is a symptom of the fall of 50 over cricket.

Back to rugby; any professional 10 a side series would eventually follow the script set by 50 over cricket for the reasons outlined in the second paragraph.

I'm not necessarily advocating running a tournament, but if we were to run one as a money-making and promotional exercise, then 7s is the way to go. You could have the 5 Aussie super sides, play a round robin in either Sydney or Brisbane, start at 7pm, they all play each other once 7 mins each way and the top two teams play off in a final. 11 pool matches and 1 final, so about 168 mins of playing time. Factor in half time breaks and time between matches, you're all over in less than 4 hours - just like a T20 cricket match.

You might even get FTA coverage:)

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
I suggested a 10s competition for Sydney Juniors 16s to 18s in an effort to stop drain of players from sport. It fell on deaf ears as they want to concentrate on 15s pathway. Only problem is they are running out of teams to play 15s so 10s is perfect compromise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Given the league experience with injuries last year in the Auckland 9's (their desperate attempt at global relevance) I can't see any appetite for such a comp

Have NRL clubs come out and said they won't play players due to the injuries form last year?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Have NRL clubs come out and said they won't play players due to the injuries form last year?

They'll all field teams because of the money. It will be interesting to see if any big names are rested.

T

TOCC

They'll all field teams because of the money. It will be interesting to see if any big names are rested.

And that's precisely the reason I think if a credible proposal is put forward that the Australian Super Rugby teams will jump at the opportunity.

Rep players like Cam Smith, Gallen, Inglis etc will likely be rested, but they'll still be plenty of high profile players.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From, presumably, people who watch loig.
The last thing s15 franchises need is to play more or earlier games: their wallabies are not even back to training, they lose them most years to inbound tours IN JUNE , and their non wallabies now play club and then NRC.
And if you ditch wallaby or fringe wallabies, Lo and behold it's an NRC 10s tournament.
Prevailing wisdom in Tahland seems to be that if you play 15s you don't play short form and I think its likely to become even more specialized. Of course there will be some very special exceptions, folau perhaps

T

TOCC

Hmm well it's all an opinion isn't it..

I've said It a few times, but Australian rugby can't ignore an opportunity which offers $million In prize money and some much needed exposure for players and clubs..

Heck if it's on FTA it could do wonders for letting the general public know that Super Rugby is about to begin.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And that's precisely the reason I think if a credible proposal is put forward that the Australian Super Rugby teams will jump at the opportunity.

Rep players like Cam Smith, Gallen, Inglis etc will likely be rested, but they'll still be plenty of high profile players.

The credible proposal, if there is one, should be 7s for the reasons outlined in post #48. 7s by its very nature also involves far less chance for injuries - and if it was on FTA, even league supporters could understand it.;)

Let's capitalise on the Olympics, it's one thing that league and afl will never have. Put it on one Saturday night at the end of January at Suncorp, which would probably attract bigger crowds than SFS. It would also lead into the 1st leg of the World 7s circuit which is in NZ on the 1st weekend of Feb.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.