• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Team of the Week

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
1. Orr
2. McInerny
3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Phillip
5. Neville
6. McCaffrey
7. Hooper
8. Dempsey
9. White
10. Kuenzle
11. Wright
12. To'omua
13. Walton
14. Muirhead
15. Banks

16. Uelese
17. Sio
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Hanigan
20. Samu
21. Gordon
22. Simone
23. Maddocks

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
GAGR team of the week:

1. C. Orr (REB)
2. J. Uelese (REB)
3. H. Johnson-Holmes (WAR)
4. M. Philip (REB)
5. C. Neville (BRU)
6. J. Dempsey (WAR)
7. M. Hooper (WAR)
8. I. Naisarani (REB)
9. J. Gordon (WAR)
10. B. Kuenzle (BRU)
11. A. Muirhead BRU)
12. M. To'omua (REB)
13. J. Walton (WAR)
14. T. Wright (BRU)
15. T. Banks (BRU)

16. C. McInereny (BRU)
17. J. Slipper (BRU)
18. A. Ala'alatoa (BRU)
19. N. Hanigan (WAR)
20. F. Lee-Warner (FOR)
21. N. White (BRU)
22. W. Harrison (WAR)
23. M. Koroibete (REB)

Players of the round - Hooper & Walton

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This week's cumulative team, the first with each team playing the same number of games:

1. C. Orr (REB)
2. J. Uelese (REB)
3. T. Tupou (RED)
4. M. Philip (REB)
5. L. Solokai-Loto (RED)
6. L. Wright (RED)
7. M. Hooper (WAR)
8. I. Naisarani (REB)
9. T. McDermott (RED)
10. J. O’Connor (RED)
11. F. Daugunu (RED)
12. M. To'omua (REB)
13. J. Petaia (RED)
14. T. Wright (BRU)
15. J. Maddocks (WAR)

16. B. Paenga-Amosa (RED)
17. J. Slipper (BRU)
18. H. Johnson-Holmes (WAR)
19. A. Blyth (RED)
20. J. Dempsey (WAR)
21. J. Gordon (WAR)
22. I. Simone (BRU)
23. M. Koroibete (REB)

Top scoring player - Tupou

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just for interest, and because it's going to be a 46 man squad, this is the 'B' team. Would love to see these teams play each other:

1. T. Robertson (WAR)
2. T. Horton (WAR)
3. A. Ala'alatoa (BRU)
4. N. Hanigan (WAR)
5. C. Neville (BRU)
6. H. Wilson (RED)
7. F. McReight (RED)
8. P. Samu (BRU)
9. N. White (BRU)
10. W. Harrison (WAR)
11. A. Muirhead (BRU)
12. K. Hunt (WAR)
13. C. Magnay (REB)
14. J. Ramm (WAR)
15. T. Banks (BRU)

16. F. Fainga'a (BRU)
17. S. Sio (BRU)
18. P. Fa'amausili (REB)
19. T. Hosea (REB)
20. R. Valetini (BRU)
21. J. Powell (BRU)
22. B. Kuenzle (BRU)
23. J. Campbell (RED)

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Just for interest, and because it's going to be a 46 man squad, this is the 'B' team. Would love to see these teams play each other:

*snip

Yes! I really like the idea of a Baa Baa's style "All Star" game. Could be coached by each of the grand final coaches.

Much better idea than SoU, IMHO.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
This week's cumulative team, the first with each team playing the same number of games:

1. C. Orr (REB)
2. J. Uelese (REB)
3. T. Tupou (RED)
4. M. Philip (REB)
5. L. Solokai-Loto (RED)
6. L. Wright (RED)
7. M. Hooper (WAR)
8. I. Naisarani (REB)
9. T. McDermott (RED)
10. J. O’Connor (RED)
11. F. Daugunu (RED)
12. M. To'omua (REB)
13. J. Petaia (RED)
14. T. Wright (BRU)
15. J. Maddocks (WAR)

16. B. Paenga-Amosa (RED)
17. J. Slipper (BRU)
18. H. Johnson-Holmes (WAR)
19. A. Blyth (RED)
20. J. Dempsey (WAR)
21. J. Gordon (WAR)
22. I. Simone (BRU)
23. M. Koroibete (REB)

Top scoring player - Tupou

I think this is a very good view of the cumulative form team - but it surprises that there are so few Brumbies given that they are the form team.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think this is a very good view of the cumulative form team - but it surprises that there are so few Brumbies given that they are the form team.

I think that might reflect their quality across the park. Also given the changes they've made in their last two games, and the returning players (Banks, White, Neville) they may have less games per player across the voting period.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think that might reflect their quality across the park. Also given the changes they've made in their last two games, and the returning players (Banks, White, Neville) they may have less games per player across the voting period.

The first round scored was when the Brumbies played appallingly v the Rebels. That round drops out and is replaced by the current one so as long as the Brumbies play well a few more will sneak in.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The first round scored was when the Brumbies played appallingly v the Rebels. That round drops out and is replaced by the current one so as long as the Brumbies play well a few more will sneak in.
Is it not the first brumbies v reds game that drops out for this one?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All good KOB. Not a criticism of the exercise which I've taken part in every week.

But I do think the small representation of the Brumbies is more complicated than the one poorer performance against the Rebels. It more likely, imo, reflects a smaller voting population among Brumbies fans. You might be able to confirm that. So, if t8hree Brumbies fans vote for Sio, for example, and eight Rebels fans vote for Orr, then there is some skew in the result possibly reflecting team bias rather than indicating superior performance. Same could be said for other positions like Maddocks tallying fewer votes than Campbell (just an example).

Is there some way to correct for differences in team's supporters? Maybe some sort of average over the number of inputs from supporters from each of the five teams?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
All good KOB. Not a criticism of the exercise which I've taken part in every week.

But I do think the small representation of the Brumbies is more complicated than the one poorer performance against the Rebels. It more likely, imo, reflects a smaller voting population among Brumbies fans. You might be able to confirm that. So, if t8hree Brumbies fans vote for Sio, for example, and eight Rebels fans vote for Orr, then there is some skew in the result possibly reflecting team bias rather than indicating superior performance. Same could be said for other positions like Maddocks tallying fewer votes than Campbell (just an example).

Is there some way to correct for differences in team's supporters? Maybe some sort of average over the number of inputs from supporters from each of the five teams?

In theory you are right. Someone brought this up a couple of weeks ago and I looked at the results and figured that if I removed all the votes for players who are from the franchise that the voter supports the results would be largely the same because inevitably the player who is voted in has caught the attention of voters outside his supporter base.

It's an exercise I'm prepared to do, but only once as it would be very manual, and there are different voters each week. So I will do it after this round on the 'form team of the season (last 5 rounds)'.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Who knows, maybe rugby fans could be "voting for" the players they reckon are best, even if they're not from the franchise with which they are aligned? Maybe not accounting for the odd skew that so few Brumbies are in the cumulative team, but this process does not necessarily reward the best "team", and take into account the best drilled playing group, maybe.
I like it, for what it is.