• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Membership Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds are 20 shy of 30,000. Not sure if they will reach their 2012 number of about 34k at this stage.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
The Tahs are giving free memberships to junior players. If they get 15k to tomorrow night's game I'll eat my Nrl branded Tahs members cap. Going to be some low crowds this year but I hope I'm wrong

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
^ Crashy, I had to eat my hat recently for a post about Folau signing with the Tahs. I found the hat goes down easier with a little bites and lots of water.

Is that true bout the free memberships? That explains the surge in numbers.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Is that true bout the free memberships? That explains the surge in numbers.

Reported in the SMH a couple of weeks ago (refer Tahs connect article):

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...per-test-overseas-options-20130228-2f91t.html

The weather should be good tomorrow night so there should be at least 10K there.

Giving away tickets just devalues the event. Maybe that's all they're worth $0.00 which is a sad indictment how far the Tahs have fallen in the eyes of the rugby community.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
It doesnt devalue the event in my opinion, its what you have to do to get the next generation of fans. If you get one of these lads/girls let in for free hooked you could be looking at 70+ years of membership $$$. Given as we need all the fans we can get, I can't really see the problem given the potential upside is massive.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
^ I appreciate what you say. Not saying it shouldn't be done. From my experience, if tickets are given away, it is perceived the event (sporting or otherwise) isn't good enough for people to actually pay for it. If it's expected that freebies will be available, then it may be difficult to persuade people to pay for tickets. Furthermore, there's a chance you will alienate season ticket holders who pay their $$$ to come and watch.

In 2012, it's unlikely anyone that got in for free would be keen to come back for more. Free tickets alone isn't sufficient to develop a loyal fan. It has to be done in the context of an overall engagement strategy.

What happens when tickets are given away and people still don't turn up?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Free tickets are alright if they're targetted.

Give some free tickets to Under 12 rugby players who will need one of their parents to buy a ticket to bring them (or a couple of parents can bring a group).

I agree with Badger that free tickets can be a bad thing. You especially don't want to make free tickets easy to get for adults who will then make the connection that they are desperate for fans.

Club rugby players and university students could be offered really cheap GA tickets as part of a promotion. I think that would be a good idea.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
^ I appreciate what you say. Not saying it shouldn't be done. From my experience, if tickets are given away, it is perceived the event (sporting or otherwise) isn't good enough for people to actually pay for it. If it's expected that freebies will be available, then it may be difficult to persuade people to pay for tickets. Furthermore, there's a chance you will alienate season ticket holders who pay their $$$ to come and watch.

In 2012, it's unlikely anyone that got in for free would be keen to come back for more. Free tickets alone isn't sufficient to develop a loyal fan. It has to be done in the context of an overall engagement strategy.

What happens when tickets are given away and people still don't turn up?

I think free tickets for kids should be limit of it, maybe give an adult supervisor $5 off a GA ticket. Nothing wrong with letting kids in free, but I'd bet that most young rugby players in NSW dont even know they are entitled to this.
I agree that it requires more than free tickets to develop loyalty, the Tahs should be sending their players and coaches to junior clubs etc (not involved at this level so I don't know if this occurs?).
However it is hard to create this loyalty to the Tahs and the passion for the club when the team is going through a bad spell on the pitch, this is where the Waratahs marketing and promotions departments should step up and try get the punters in (although we've been over that side of things before).

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Free tickets are alright if they're targetted.
The Tahs have decided that negative feedback on the team and NSW rugby from old players is no good, so they've decided to offer them some targeted freebies.

At the same time as feedback on the ills of the administration are being ignored from at least one former Waratah and Wallaby tourist that I know, they've sent out free tickets to all "NSW Rugby Alumni".

Quite a good idea, until you realise that a) they live all over the country and b) they've sent them all ONE game's GA Family ticket.

GG NSW Rugby, GG.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I think free tickets for kids should be limit of it, maybe give an adult supervisor $5 off a GA ticket. Nothing wrong with letting kids in free, but I'd bet that most young rugby players in NSW dont even know they are entitled to this.

An alternative could be to give each child a family two game membership rather than a kids membership alone. Giving a child a kids season membership means Mum and/or Dad still have to shell out for tickets for themselves and any other siblings (who don’t have a membership) plus parking and munchies etc so it all adds up. A family membership for 2 games at least defrays some of the cost so they only need to pay for transport and munchies.

Offering to bus in rugby clubs/school and community groups could also be an option if they get sufficient numbers…maybe workable if the discounted tickets cover the cost of bus hire. It makes it easier for them to organise to get people to the game.

The goal should be to make it so easy to get to the game that people have no excuses to not come along (excluding what happens on the field).:D

Club rugby players and university students could be offered really cheap GA tickets as part of a promotion. I think that would be a good idea.

Your suggestion about giving discounted tickets to Uni students is an excellent idea. The Zoo at Highlanders home games looks like a lot of fun and a great party atmosphere. IIRR, it’s targeted at students from the University of Otago. With the number of Unis within the Sydney metro area, it would be remiss of the Tahs to not have at least considered this idea.

Work with Uni student associations to come up with an offer and promote through the associations. As the season starts around the time as Uni orientation, it would be a good opportunity to connect with potential fans and raise the Tahs profile. Should be considered at Sydney Uni at the minimum.

b) they've sent them all ONE game's GA Family ticket.

Why would you offer former players GA tickets? :confused:

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
re the Force - looks like tickets are getting scarce which is a good sign. What does the new stadium config seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.