• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Colts 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Note the obligatory dig-at-Sydney-Uni worked into Tahboy's post. This is clearly the way forward for the other clubs. If we can kneecap the front runners we all benefit. There is the predictable consequence of lowering the playing standard of the competition but that is a small price to pay.

I know the southern Districts GM well. He is arguably the best GM in the comp. He told me that when Southern Districts were in that 1st Colts grand final, Southern Districts told Rob Horne they would like him to play, but his response was that he didnt want to force a bloke out who got them there in the first place and it was Horne's decision not to play.

Bruce, Tahboy is correct though. Uni did make numerous representations to NSWRU expressing their thoughts that Horne should not be allowed to play. People in glass houses..............

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I know the southern Districts GM well. He is arguably the best GM in the comp. He told me that when Southern Districts were in that 1st Colts grand final, Southern Districts told Rob Horne they would like him to play, but his response was that he didnt want to force a bloke out who got them there in the first place and it was Horne's decision not to play.

Bruce, Tahboy is correct though. Uni did make numerous representations to NSWRU expressing their thoughts that Horne should not be allowed to play. People in glass houses..............

Who's arguing with that? They were entitled to argue that an established Super player should not play.

But what possible relevance does that have to the question which iluvmyfooty asked?

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Who's arguing with that? They were entitled to argue that an established Super player should not play.

But what possible relevance does that have to the question which iluvmyfooty asked?

None. It's relevance is to your comment in relation to Tahboys comment.
I have not heard of any developments in relation to iluvmyfooty's question. I have heard however, that Sydney Rugby Union are considering stopping Australian Schoolboy reps from last 2 seasons playing in 3rd grade colts...............

T

Tahboy

Bruce my relevance is that it doesn't matter what level rugby you play as long as you meet the age guidelines you are eligable
Southern districts were never going to play Rob Horne but I was interesting Uni blowing up like good sorts.
I have spent a good chunk of this week doing player points for registration which is just extra time wasted on uneccessary paperwork for a lot of people because of Uni.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
How is it wasted, Tahboy? If Uni folded tomorrow, there would still be a whole bunch of talented young footballers, and there would still be clubs in a position to offer more to them than others. Whether that is training programs, the odd scholarship, cash payments or any other incentive. The system is either of value, or not. It's not dependent on Uni's presence.

I also find it interesting that Bruce hasn't suggested that Uni should, or should be allowed to, play young elite rugby players such as Super rugby players, parachuted in for finals. If Uni tried to do that, every club under the sun, let alone in SRU, would kick up a stink. It should be likewise if Souths, Norths, Randwick or Penrith do it.

There are some sadly vitriolic and somewhat personal comments happening here, and I can't see how it's constructive to the Colts competition, or complimentary to those involved.

T

Tahboy

Mr mouse we only have to do the points because of 1 club and the only club caught cheating the points was Uni. No other club gets close to the maximum points.
Southern districts were never going play Rob Horne but just suggested it too see what the response was from Uni and they blew up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Mr Mouse has it right. If you want to have a knock-down, drag-out battle over Sydney Uni then create a thread specifically to do so. And the rest of us can ignore it because we have been over this thousands of times.

This thread is for a discussion of the 2012 Colts season, and from now on any posts that do not relate DIRECTLY to that subject will be deleted.

T

Tahboy

Any Fearless predictions on the top 6 for 1st grade colts?
Uni will be there and so will Randwick
Eastwood and West Harbour are always very strong at Colts and you would think Norths will go close and Manly had a great year last season and Easts are always strong at colts. Southern districts believe they will field a good side but young so they could be a year too early
Gordon finished last year with a bang and if they have a high portion of players returning they will be tough. Parramatta have good numbers and the years they have done well are years when they had good numbers
Going to be possibly the closest season for a long time
I think the top 6 in order will be
Randwick,uni,Eastwood, Wests, norths, easts

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Any Fearless predictions on the top 6 for 1st grade colts?
Uni will be there and so will Randwick
Eastwood and West Harbour are always very strong at Colts and you would think Norths will go close and Manly had a great year last season and Easts are always strong at colts. Southern districts believe they will field a good side but young so they could be a year too early
Gordon finished last year with a bang and if they have a high portion of players returning they will be tough. Parramatta have good numbers and the years they have done well are years when they had good numbers
Going to be possibly the closest season for a long time
I think the top 6 in order will be
Randwick,uni,Eastwood, Wests, norths, easts
Are you basing your predictions on your knowledge of each clubs players , or mostly on which teams are traditionally strong?
There hasn't been much written about the new players of each club , nor the players which each has lost.
Of course Uni always recruit well & have done so for a number of years , & so it is certain they will be up there , & Norths have apparently recruited well also ,but then last years team was not one of the strongest, so they needed to.
I haven't heard anything about Eastwood ,Easts or Manly gains , & I know Wests , as usual have lost players to rugby league.
My knowledge of Randwick comes principally from your posts , & you say they will come first ,so clearly you believe they have gained more than they lost in the off season.
Could be an interesting year.

T

Tahboy

I'm basing my predictions mostly on how clubs generally do each year
I just know with Randwick just about all of last years 1st colts are returning and that is a big advantage. I agree Norths struggled last year but have been the big movers in recruitment and have some very good players joining them
Eastwood are always strong and have good juniors
I have not heard anything on who they have joining them sane as with Easts
It's been very quiet but do have Glenn Ella coaching there
The critical factor in how your 1st grade side goes is your depth in 2nd colts
Generally around 40 players will spend sometime on the field playing 1st colts so depth is critical

and this

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I'm basing my predictions mostly on how clubs generally do each year
I just know with Randwick just about all of last years 1st colts are returning and that is a big advantage. I agree Norths struggled last year but have been the big movers in recruitment and have some very good players joining them
Eastwood are always strong and have good juniors
I have not heard anything on who they have joining them sane as with Easts
It's been very quiet but do have Glenn Ella coaching there
The critical factor in how your 1st grade side goes is your depth in 2nd colts
Generally around 40 players will spend sometime on the field playing 1st colts so depth is critical

and this
That's interesting.
I formed the opinion from your previous posts that Randwick were losing a few to grade ,Wakim was going to England to play cricket ,& 2 had gone to Norths .
Is this not the case ?

T

Tahboy

Randwick have lost Tom Connor (7) Liam walker (9) to norths, Dan Flemming (10) grade, Tom Reddin (11) to norths , Terence Hepetema (13) to grade and Charlie wakim (15) to cricket but have picked up Mark Baldwin, Ben Black,Andrew Norton, Giorgio Phillips, Nathan Roye and Sameuel Muller plus a number of other players which will strengthen 2nd grade who last year missed the semi finals so the depth was just a bit lacking compsred to some other clubs.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Randwick have lost Tom Connor (7) Liam walker (9) to norths, Dan Flemming (10) grade, Tom Reddin (11) to norths , Terence Hepetema (13) to grade and Charlie wakim (15) to cricket but have picked up Mark Baldwin, Ben Black,Andrew Norton, Giorgio Phillips, Nathan Roye and Sameuel Muller plus a number of other players which will strengthen 2nd grade who last year missed the semi finals so the depth was just a bit lacking compsred to some other clubs.
Losses & gains pretty much balance up in most cases.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Tom Connor to Norths. Didn't he play in the Grade trial against Gordon last week ?
I would think that all of those Randwick players going to Norths will play grade.
Connor had a good year in colts last year but I think he will find it difficult in grade because of his size.
Mark Baldwin a strong player defensively ,is a good addition to the Randwick pack which it seems ,based on last years players , will not be as big as some of
the opposition packs.

T

Tahboy

Sorry Tom Connor has gone to grade at Randwick
He has really put in during the off season and put on 10kg muscle
He went well in the trial last week but it will be interesting how he goes week after week with the physicality of grade
I think they will have one of the biggest packs
4 guys 195cm plus
Just glad the footy is starting and the end of the silly season and no more watching on TV a little red ball get hit around a big field

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Honestly I dont see either Tom Connor or Mark Baldwin starting much First Grade throughout the year unless injury occurs, but I do see them playing games off the bench. It is believed Stephen Hoiles will join Randwick in this year's Shute Shield competition and with the stocks of Seilala Lam and Tim McGann there it would be tough to crack a spot. Although they are in a good position to learn and develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.