• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Rays .. NRC Team Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
When is this comp starting? I recall that the ARC had established squads and ads running on the tele well in advance of the first match.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Starts after the last round of super rugby. Hopefully the squads start getting announced soon and the promotion starts soon as well.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Thanks Fowi, so about 8 weeks away? Doesn't give them much time to get their shit sorted.

I hope their is some advertising. I recall there was a cracking ad for the ARC going around. Hopefully they have the funds to do something similar

R

Redsfan

North Harbour Rays team up with Macquarie University

16 June 2014

The North Harbour Rays today announced Macquarie University as their principal partner for the first two seasons of the National Rugby Championship, Australian rugby’s exciting new competition.

The NRC franchise will be officially known as the Macquarie University North Harbour Rays and prominently display the University’s name on its playing gear and at its home ground.

Deidre Anderson, Macquarie’s Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students & Registrar), said the partnership, which will include financial and in-kind support, was seen as an excellent opportunity for the University to play an even greater role in its community.

“This club draws from the rugby talent of our local area – Manly, Warringah, Gordon and Northern Suburbs – and represents Sydney’s North Shore in a national level competition,” she said.

“We see this as a great chance for the University to support sport, to be a good community partner, and to engage with the schools in our region, particularly those that have strong Rugby programs.

“Already, more than 30 per cent of our current students come from north of the Harbour. We’ll be establishing a supporters club with special offers for our students so they can get behind the Macquarie University North Harbour Rays.”

Head coach Geoff Townsend toured the University’s impressive sporting facilities at a Rays induction and information day last week and came away enthused about the opportunities the partnership will bring.
The grounds, gymnasium and aquatic facilities are currently used by a range of elite sporting teams, including Sydney FC.

“Making sure our preparation, recovery and rehabilitation is spot on is going to be an important part of playing in this competition (the NRC), which in many ways will be like a 100-metre sprint,” Townsend said.

“You’ve got to hit the ground running and make sure that you’ve got it right early on, as there is not much room to make major adjustments and that is where access to these facilities gets us on the front foot.
“The gymnasium is world class and the aquatic centre and fields are right up there with the best in this part of the world. I for one am looking forward to working in this environment.”

Rays chairman Gary Flowers said the partnership with Macquarie University was an important part of the jigsaw of pulling together a professional rugby team in such a short period of time.

“Macquarie University have played an important part in getting the North Harbour Rays to where they are today,” Flowers said, “and we hope it will be a long lasting and fruitful relationship.

“They are partners in the truest sense of the word, because they will be a big part of whatever success we achieve as a club and on the rugby field. Their support in terms of player welfare and education programs, post-career transition, educational scholarships, and even involvement with research in and around elite sporting team development and performance, will all be priceless.

“It’s an exciting time for the game when an organisation with the standing of Macquarie University puts its hand up to be involved and we are all looking forward to what lies ahead.”

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Rays home ground Brookvale, and some dates for the diary
First home game Thurs 4th Sept V NSW Country Eagles
Second Sat 20th Sept v Perth Spirit.
Third Sun 28th Sept V Rams
Forth Sat 11th Oct V Bris

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting to see the times for games.

Thursday 7:30pm (I'm surprised it's not a little earlier), Saturday 5:30pm and Sunday 3pm. I wonder what the 4th time slot will be for the competition.

Or maybe they'll have some games on at the same time given only 1 match per week will be televised.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Interesting to see the times for games.

Thursday 7:30pm (I'm surprised it's not a little earlier), Saturday 5:30pm and Sunday 3pm. I wonder what the 4th time slot will be for the competition.

Or maybe they'll have some games on at the same time given only 1 match per week will be televised.
Any other home grounds been announced.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ok , we now know when the rays are playing?
But who are the players In the team ,Does anybody have any idea?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Any other home grounds been announced.

Leichhardt Oval for the Stars, AAMI Park for the Rising, NIB Stadium for the Spirit, Brisbane City will surely play at Ballymore, Canberra will play at the Vikings ground.

That just leaves the Rams and the two country teams, who haven't announced where they're playing yet as far as I know.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This has been mentioned more than once on this forum - country will be playing their home games at various country centres.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I know that Country won't be playing a home game in Newcastle, the local union pulled out of the application process saying that it would be too costly to host a game apparently.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Rising social media person indicated that squad announcements, memberships pricing and game day scheduling will be made in mid-July.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
North of the Bridge centric though I am and hoping that the whole damn thing works I've got to say that the Rays will be the pit canary for all. Organised early , well connected and with Macquarie Uni on board now well resourced . Although Shute Shield players not compelled to join their nearest franchise the Rays will benefit from strong Marlins and Rats squads . With the rugby community of the northern beaches as a spectator base and Warringah Council making Brookie readily available if the Rays fail forget the rest - even one town teams

Marlins Tragic

Frank Row (1)
Rays have confirmed that they will play four home games at Brookvale Oval & also the draw seems to have been released - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...lay-at-brookvale/story-fngr8iii-1226965359907

Home Games:
  • NSW Country Sept 4, 7:30pm KO
  • Pert Spirit Sept 20, 5:30pm KO
  • GWS Rams Sept 28, 3:00pm KO
  • Brisbane Oct 11, 3:00pm KO

Away Games
  • Melbourne Rising Aug 22, TBA KO
  • Queensland Country Sept 13,TBA KO
  • Uni of Canberra Vikings Oct 4, TBA KO
  • Then the BIG one v the w----rs from Sydney Stars on Oct 19 @ Leichhardt Oval.

Also, team colours look like they will reflect Mac Uni's with a predominantly red jersey, sounds like they will have green & blue added to keep the Rats, Marlins & Highlander fans happy, not likely!

I wonder if any Uni students that play in the 1st XV will get a look in even though they play subbies, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.