• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs v Lions, round 14, SUNDAY 18 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
And I wouldn't be throwing Cock on against a South African front row either, even from the bench. The Lions scrum are no mugs.

@Lindommer made a good point on Saturday - Foley against the kiwis at 10, KB (Kurtley Beale) against the Saffers. Horne at 12 for either.

Figure out why. Answers tomorrow in class

KB (Kurtley Beale)'s best posi is as utility off the bench if that. Much prefer To'omua and lelo covering 10 and 12. in 12 McCabe and Horne warrant possibilities at 12 as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah but we're talking about against the Lions. And the Wallabies don't play the Lions any time soon...

Lilo is shite at the moment. Nowhere near Wallaby selection. To'omua is our 12.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We dropped from fourth to eighth on the ladder after having the bye.

Aside from the Sharks losing, every other contender won on the weekend which has closed things to a nine horse race for the finals but also increases the pressure on everyone immensely.

The Tahs have to take five points away from this game.

With the Canes playing the Highlanders and the Crusaders playing the Sharks there's a guarantee that some teams above us will fall back this weekend.

Given their current form you'd expect both the Force and Brumbies to win in South Africa against the Stormers and Cheetahs respectively.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah if the Kiwi teams keep knocking each other off, and we can win all our home games, at least the finals look a sure bet, and maybe even a top 2 spot?

No Pfitzy, don't get too far ahead of yourself. That leads to heartbreak...

Richo

John Thornett (49)
5 points is essential here, but we have a reasonable run home.

I suspect we'll need something like this to end up in a strong position:

Lions - home (5)
Rebels - away (4)
Chiefs - away (1)
Brumbies - home (4)
Highlanders - away home (4)
Reds - away (5)

That's 23 points from 6 games, leaving us at 52 for the season. Typically, more than that has been needed for a top finish, but teams used to get 8 free points every year too. The Chiefs topped the table with 66 (58) and Brumbies were third with 60 (52). Things are tighter this year, but the Sharks already have 36, Chiefs 35 and Brumbies 34.

I reckon the Rebels will be tougher to put four tries on than the Reds, whose defense was utter rubbish agains the Cru.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think we need to worry about getting the games won first before thinking bonus points. The last thing we want to happen is go for tries for the off and see some of the error ridden rubbish that we've seen all too often this season and in truth will probably cost us a top 2 finish

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think we need to worry about getting the games won first before thinking bonus points. The last thing we want to happen is go for tries for the off and see some of the error ridden rubbish that we've seen all too often this season and in truth will probably cost us a top 2 finish

Absolutely.

Regardless of the opposition, we should be taking any points on offer until the game is well out of reach.

Anyway, I think it is probably easier to score tries when your team is up by 15+ points than when you're up by 5 and the match is still in the balance.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Bulls don't have enough matches left (four) compared to the Tahs, Clan, Force and Saders (six) while the Canes have five. The Tahs and Clan play each other, as do the Force and Saders. One each of that pairing will win putting the winners four points further away from the Bulls (the Tahs could be on 33 and the Bulls on 27) while still having a game in hand over them. The Bulls are no chance of making the finals, it's now an eight horse race.

Still be nice to garner five points from the Lions match. Bh, what'd you say earlier about Tahs' victories after Braveheart, Lindommer and Pfitzy getting on the turps pre-match? Putting my best drinking shoes on..... :cool:

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Mrs. boyo and I will be at the Clock for the lunch do.

What time does it kick-off please?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
5 points is essential here, but we have a reasonable run home.

I suspect we'll need something like this to end up in a strong position:

Lions - home (5)
Rebels - away (4)
Chiefs - away (1)
Brumbies - home (4)
Highlanders - away (4)
Reds - away (5)

That's 23 points from 6 games, leaving us at 52 for the season. Typically, more than that has been needed for a top finish, but teams used to get 8 free points every year too. The Chiefs topped the table with 66 (58) and Brumbies were third with 60 (52). Things are tighter this year, but the Sharks already have 36, Chiefs 35 and Brumbies 34.

The fact that we have to win five out of the next six to get a good total is pretty scary because three games from that six are against teams above us on the table and the Reds will turn the last game into a shit fight. On that basis I think the most likely outcome is an away quarter final. Not many teams will want to meet us there.

But most likely is not the same as what will happen. If we can maintain the form we showed against the Hurricanes, especially against the Chiefs and Brumbies, top spot is still a real outcome for us to target. Consistency will be the key. Now we have to break the WLWL cycle that has been our hallmark this year. I am still incredibly optimistic and hopeful this could be our year. Its not a sure thing, not even remotely sure, but it is a valid hope. I felt the same way mid season in 2005,2006 and 2008. We didn't win any of those years but we sure gave it a red-hot go.

I agree 110%. Instructions for each week have to be to get a lead of 15 (three scores) and then unleash hell. But not a minute before and if we lose the buffer we have to go back to taking points until we restore the buffer.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

Obviously.

But the reality of Super Rugby has always been that winning isn't enough. You need to target matches for bonus points and then execute correctly, both tactically and with the ball.

Regardless of the opposition, we should be taking any points on offer until the game is well out of reach.

Anyway, I think it is probably easier to score tries when your team is up by 15+ points than when you're up by 5 and the match is still in the balance.

Exactly. Scoreboard pressure creates opportunities, especially late in the game if you're 10+ ahead.

There is a difference between madly trying to score tries (which we've done too many times this season) and getting the game into a situation where tries become more available due to pressure on the other team.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah if the Kiwi teams keep knocking each other off, and we can win all our home games, at least the finals look a sure bet, and maybe even a top 2 spot?

No Pfitzy, don't get too far ahead of yourself. That leads to heartbreak.

Just following the Tahs leads to heartbreak. Every bloody year.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sunday lunch is now at the Clock Hotel in Crown Street, Surry Hills. Much as I'd like to tackle the Centennial the recent renovations have left it uber-gentrified, and very expensive, sorta place one'd like to try after a BIG win. Unfortunately, the Sunday roast went out with the old décor, another reason to look elsewhere. The Clock has the best combination of value/food/beer/wine list of pubs around Moore Park.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sunday lunch is now at the Clock Hotel in Crown Street, Surry Hills. Much as I'd like to tackle the Centennial the recent renovations have left it uber-gentrified, and very expensive, sorta place one'd like to try after a BIG win. Unfortunately, the Sunday roast went out with the old décor, another reason to look elsewhere. The Clock has the best combination of value/food/beer/wine list of pubs around Moore Park.

10-4.

See you at the Clock.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Word from SMH is that Potgieter is still doubtful for the Lions game. I personally implore Chieka not to play him, or if he must play only for 15 minutes from the bench. He is so important to our games against the Rebels and particularly the Chiefs, that he must not aggravate the injury on Sunday. We'll do the Lions Sunday if the scrum holds up. But Jackpot must be fit for the next two games.

That said, team selection is pretty straight forward this week. I would rotate Phipps and McKibbin, but Chieka seems to like Phipps. Roach will play 16, Horne and Alofa the wings with Crawford on the bench. Both Crawford and Alofa need time on the park. Cutch and Hoiles to cover the back five. If we lose a lock then Dennis goes to the second row.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apparently the team is:

Tahs

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Will Skelton
5. Kane Douglas
6. Dave Dennis (c)
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Rob Horne
12. Kurtley Beale
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Matt Carraro
15. Israel Folau

Reserves:
16. Hugh Roach
17. Jeremy Tilse
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Jacques Potgieter
20. Stephen Hoiles / Pat McCutcheon
21. Brendan McKibbin
22. Taqele Naiyaravoro
23. Alofa Alofa

Just editted it. Apparently Taqele is on the bench with one to be omitted. I've made the assumption that it will either be Hoiles or McCutcheon.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Stunned. It doesn't look like any players will get rested since this was the only game to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.