• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Test ticket prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJHiggins12

Frank Row (1)
Hey all, bumping this up. I'm a rugby player in the States and me and the girlfriend are visiting Aus and NZ. Wallabies have been my favorite team for some time, and I saw them in the US and it was a blast.

I'm planning my trip so I can see the final test in Sydney on the 25Jun, what's a reasonable amount to pay for decent seats? I'm finding some behind the goalposts for 160 and some in the corner for 120 (American dollars). Are those unreasonable to pay for bad seats? Or should I go for the super expensive sideline seats and pay $290? Zero clue what a reasonable price for a test like this is.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
For a test of this nature, with a packed crowd I reckon the pricing is about right.

It depends what you are there for. If you only care about watching the game, then the sideline seats are probably worth it. But if you want to soak up the atmosphere, have a few beers and just be a part of it, then save your cash and go for the cheaper seats.

They aren't cheap, but considering the Sydney game is virtually sold out already it seems the ARU have got it pretty spot on.

RJHiggins12

Frank Row (1)
Appreciate the response! I think we may get some seats in Section 9 right on the try line for 170 (US). It'll be a good mix of being able to see the game but also just soaking up the atmosphere. I imagine I'll be much more into the game than my girlfriend, still working on explaining the rules to her. But it'll be fun. Appreciate it much.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Good luck RJH. I'd try and get tickets from an Aussie website if possible, given platinum sideline seats were @A$169 when they first went on sale here. US$290 or approx. A$400 is quite a mark-up.

Agree with Barbarian, spend the money saved on beers and just enjoy the atmosphere

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Appreciate the response! I think we may get some seats in Section 9 right on the try line for 170 (US). It'll be a good mix of being able to see the game but also just soaking up the atmosphere. I imagine I'll be much more into the game than my girlfriend, still working on explaining the rules to her. But it'll be fun. Appreciate it much.

Behind the posts is great at the SFS - nice and close to the action. Where I'll be!

T

TOCC

A-League have a deal going for $15 tickets for the Sydney derby(Sydney FC vs WSW).. will likely draw a crowd close too, if not greater then most recent Wallaby attendances as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm struggling to see what your comparing here?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

How a rival crowd draws 60'000 fans to a club game doesn't interest you? This was he only thread for talking ticket prices...

I'd love to know what impact $15 tickets had on their margins. Maybe the Wallabies should look at their ticket prices for events like the Bledisloe which are falling well short of stadium capacity in recent years... what's better, 50'000 fans paying $40 or 40'000 fans paying $50 each.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If it cost $1000000 to run the event neither.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

So hypothetically if margins remained the same, you see no benefit to having an extra 10'000 fans at a game?

I read an article not long ago discussing the growth of new sports and the decline of others in the social media age. It examines the theory that once an event reaches a certain scale that the demand for an exclusive event and the sheer size size of the event were growth drivers in themselves.

It looked at the BBL and how it established itself as an event to attend, despite having teams with no historical affiliation, it discussed how the sheer number of people attending supported further growth in attendance and popularity by more people who desired to participate in a new and popular event.

It questioned why events which people had no traditional interest in were high on their bucket lists, things like the FIFA World Cup. Many non soccer fans have this as a bucket list item, the attraction to attending an event of such scale and exclusiveness is a growth driver in itself.

Bledisloe Cup used to be one of those events, but prices and poor performances have killed that.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'd love to know what impact $15 tickets had on their margins. Maybe the Wallabies should look at their ticket prices for events like the Bledisloe which are falling well short of stadium capacity in recent years. what's better, 50'000 fans paying $40 or 40'000 fans paying $50 each.

Cost for ground hire goes up with more people in the ground right? So higher price, fewer people gets you more $$$ (who keeps the money from extra beers and chips?)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Sydney vs Western Sydney game is the only one that draws a huge crowd. Sydney FC are leading the comp and had 11k at their last home game.

Wanderers are regularly drawing under 10k.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
So hypothetically if margins remained the same, you see no benefit to having an extra 10'000 fans at a game?

I read an article not long ago discussing the growth of new sports and the decline of others in the social media age. It examines the theory that once an event reaches a certain scale that the demand for an exclusive event and the sheer size size of the event were growth drivers in themselves.

It looked at the BBL and how it established itself as an event to attend, despite having teams with no historical affiliation, it discussed how the sheer number of people attending supported further growth in attendance and popularity by more people who desired to participate in a new and popular event.

It questioned why events which people had no traditional interest in were high on their bucket lists, things like the FIFA World Cup. Many non soccer fans have this as a bucket list item, the attraction to attending an event of such scale and exclusiveness is a growth driver in itself.

Bledisloe Cup used to be one of those events, but prices and poor performances have killed that.

Many (many) years ago, I remember my sales manager at the time teaching me - "Price it to sell - sell it out - put the price up". I reckon it's still a good strategy. Sold out events always have a sensational atmosphere and create a buzz around town. 60% full stadia makes it look like people don't give a crap.

Last night, the womens' AFL match (televised live on FTA and Foxtel) at Princes Park pulled a crowd of 24,500 with over 1,000 people unable to get in to the ground. They're already talking about moving other games to bigger venues. Momentum.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bledisloe prices for this year for Adults look to be:

Platinum - $203
Gold - $172
Silver - $132 &
Bronze - $91.

http://m.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=WALLAAUS17

They do know we haven't actually won it for 15 years dont they so demand amongst the local fans, might not be so high...

At least, the June Tests tickets are priced much more realistically.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Bledisloe prices for this year for Adults look to be:

Platinum - $203
Gold - $172
Silver - $132 &
Bronze - $91.

http://m.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=WALLAAUS17

They do know we haven't actually won it for 15 years dont they so demand amongst the local fans, might not be so high.

At least, the June Tests tickets are priced much more realistically.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Im a rusted on rugby supporter with a kid-free lifestyle and decent income, yet there is no way i could justify spending that much on a ticket.. What a ridiculous pricing..

Lowest Bledisloe Cup crowd is certainly on the cards...

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Lowest Bledisloe Cup crowd is certainly on the cards.

I understand the point your making here and no way will I be paying that either - but I was just looking at some highlights from Carozza's 1992 Bled at Ballymore.

Great game, and sold out but relatively tiny crowd!

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I queries the ARU once about ticket pricing, asking how they justified charging more for a test match than the AFL Grand Final (at the time). They basically said that every test is like the AFL grand final and they priced to that.

Proof will be in the sales I guess, but I do feel the grip on reality is tenuous at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Im a rusted on rugby supporter with a kid-free lifestyle and decent income, yet there is no way i could justify spending that much on a ticket.. What a ridiculous pricing..

Lowest Bledisloe Cup crowd is certainly on the cards.

Agree TOCC. It's also economically stupid in that I'd guarantee these high prices in relation to (a) generally falling Wallaby crowds (b) rapidly building bad PR re the state of rugby in Australia and (c) total Bled trophy fails in recent years, will in aggregate ensure that gross Bled Test income is minimised not maximised.

Much smarter would have been to adjust ticket prices down from historical levels, done things like discounts for multiple ticket buys, heavy family discounts, etc.......and the ARU's gross $ income (which is what really matters not false commercial pride re 'how valuable BC events are') from the BC games would have been higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.