• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The case for Anthony Fainga'a to wear the Green and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) wing or bench?

Probably wing, along the same argument that he is just too good not to play, and he did well at wing last year. I think his best position will be 12, but at the moment, I doubt he will be the mainstay there. Also, playing him on the wing gives flexibility to the bench options, as he can shift to 12, 15 or even 10 later in a game if needs be.
All up:-
Genia / Cooper / Ioane / Barnes or Gits / AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) / JOC (James O'Connor) / Beale. Bench players would be Burgess / Barnes or Gits / SomeOtherBloke like McCabe / Turner / Morahan / Shepherd

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think he is the second best 13 in the country, but not quite good enough to be in the 22

Genia,Cooper,Ioane, Barnes,AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper),O'Connor,Beale Bench: Burgess, Giteau, Shepherd

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
He's the kind of guy you have starting to help you control the game - don't think he's made for the bench. You'd have to think he's a certainty for the World Cup squad.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Absolutely no disrespect to Ant, but I don't think he is the answer at 12. If we are selecting our best possible back line, I want every player to make the opposition think about how they are going to stop and get over or around them. In comparison to the other options at inside centre, I do not feel that Ant gives the other teams enough to think about. He is a good honest player who rarely let's anyone down, but he isn't a bruiser, nor is he ball player, which are the kinds of attributes you find in test centres. Outside centre on the other hand I think could be an option for him as backup for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Absolutely no disrespect to Ant, but I don't think he is the answer at 12. If we are selecting our best possible back line, I want every player to make the opposition think about how they are going to stop and get over or around them. In comparison to the other options at inside centre, I do not feel that Ant gives the other teams enough to think about. He is a good honest player who rarely let's anyone down, but he isn't a bruiser, nor is he ball player, which are the kinds of attributes you find in test centres. Outside centre on the other hand I think could be an option for him as backup for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

I disagree that you need every player to be an x factor attacking player. A player's defense is just as important as their attack, especially come the knock out stages of the RWC, where games will be won and lost in defense. Moreover, Anthony Fainga'a has been an intergral part of a very dangerous Reds backline, so clearly he is providing some opportunities for his outside players to score tries.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I disagree that you need every player to be an x factor attacking player. A player's defense is just as important as their attack, especially come the knock out stages of the RWC, where games will be won and lost in defense. Moreover, Anthony Fainga'a has been an intergral part of a very dangerous Reds backline, so clearly he is providing some opportunities for his outside players to score tries.

It's not a question of being an "x-factor attacking player" per se. Quade Cooper is the archetypal x-factor. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is not an x-factor player. The problem is that Fainga'a doesn't present a sufficient threat for his presence in the back line to be warranted. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has greater line-breaking skills and is of similar defensive ability. Barnes has a much more rounded game and is a better defender. Giteau is more of an x-factor and is in good form. It's hard to see how Fainga'a gets selected over these three for 12 or 13. There is no point in having him on the bench. I certainly think he is a very good player and should be in the squad for the RWC. I just don't see how, short of injury, he makes the 22.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Agree with this. Defense is a more important attribute than attack for a centre in a cup final. Ant along with mortlock and Horne is the most attacking backline defender we have. It is worth a try in the 3n vs the big ab and bok centers.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I'm not slotting Fainga'a A in there for the wobs but he was a standout last night - the standout for the reds. In terms of being rounded, his kicking is woeful, but he does distribute reasonably well and some of the run arounds with Cooper have been genuinely creative. His defense and involvement were superb.

Giteau and O'Connor are ahead of him for mine, notwithstanding O'Connors role on the wing with the wallabies sans Mitchell. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12 is not something I've seen a lot of, and it's still a surprise to see him pass the ball no matter where he's playing. 13 for him. Barnes - well we shall see.

Edit: Anyway, Fainga'a A is broken, and just at the wrong time.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Still think Giteau and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are perfect for the bench. They together cover 9-15 and would allow a 5-2.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I liked McAbe at 12. Led the defence extremely well, in fact you could say it was the most offensive defensive effort an Oz side has produced for quiet some time. With ball in hand he can pass well off both hands, can kick passably well and nobody can doubt he can straighten the attack.

As I alluded to earlier these are what I rate as the key attributes of a true 12. I dislike the two playmaker system and would prefer not to see Giteau play that sort of role at 12. I seriously doubt the longevity of Barnes and hope for his sake that he gets some more advice on his condition.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would rather have McCabe than Fainga'a.

Both are defensively excellent, but McCabe is infinitely better in attack and as Gnostic pointed out can kick.

However, I'm hanging out for McCabe to get more game time at 13. I think he can really shine there.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I would rather have McCabe than Fainga'a.

Both are defensively excellent, but McCabe is infinitely better in attack and as Gnostic pointed out can kick.

However, I'm hanging out for McCabe to get more game time at 13. I think he can really shine there.

How much time has he spent at 12/13 at Super level?

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think it's all about the balance of your backline.

If you look back through the better midfields in recent years, they have been balanced, offering equal measures of attacking dynamism, distributive skill, defensive solidity and rugby smarts. Ma'a Nonu and Conrad Smith are so successful because Nonu's attacking potency is balanced by Smith's rugby smarts and defensive nous. Similarly, Walter Little's attacking genuis was balanced by Frank Bunce's defensive strength. Giteau and Mortlock offered a balance of attack and defense, of evasive skills and strength.

With AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) being the likely Wallaby first choice 13, Deans has a very good all-round player. He is a very dangerous attacking player, but he is also a strong and reliable defender. This allows Deans to choose either a Giteau-esque attacking no.12, a defensive style stopper in Anthony Fainga'a or an all-rounder in the Berrick Barnes mould, who is strong defensively but also plays a a genuine second five eighth.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I want him at 12, not 11 or 14.

What I was hinting at was the thought process of Deans. JOC (James O'Connor) has precisely zero caps on the wing at the Super level, yet was picked at wing by Deans for a Test match. And has been quite successful. What's to say he wont pick McCabe at IC? He already played McCabe at OC in a tour match.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
What I was hinting at was the thought process of Deans. JOC (James O'Connor) has precisely zero caps on the wing at the Super level, yet was picked at wing by Deans for a Test match. And has been quite successful. What's to say he wont pick McCabe at IC? He already played McCabe at OC in a tour match.

Blooding utility backs on the wing is a pretty common practice and relatively easy to get away with. Starting a player out of position in a pivotal like inside centre, in a World Cup, is not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.