• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The case for Anthony Fainga'a to wear the Green and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Blooding utility backs on the wing is a pretty common practice and relatively easy to get away with. Starting a player out of position in a pivotal like inside centre, in a World Cup, is not so much.

Really? Even against Russia? Or the United States?

I wasn't really referring to the RWC anyway, it could be against Samoa or in a Tri Nations game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I dont think his "hard straight running" will be effective against the ABs or the BOKs who are great defenders. His hard runs work at super level but come test time i don't think he will be getting over the gain line very effectively and would probably be prone to getting turned over.

I do believe defensively he is Test level standard, in fact i think he is one of the best defenders in Oz. But as an attacker he is very limited and he might actually slow the attack in the wallabies back-line down. I would love to see him develop an AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) type fend or anything! He is a great player, one of my favourites I would love to see him in the wallabies but only if he developes more of an attacking game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I disagree that you need every player to be an x factor attacking player. A player's defense is just as important as their attack, especially come the knock out stages of the RWC, where games will be won and lost in defense. Moreover, Anthony Fainga'a has been an intergral part of a very dangerous Reds backline, so clearly he is providing some opportunities for his outside players to score tries.

I'm not saying he has to be Giteau or Cooper Mk II, but every player in that back line must ask questions of the opposition, in defence and/or attack. Your example of Little and Bunce is a pretty good one: Little was the silky smooth ball player and Bunce the battering ram. They formed a great partnership that had many great battles with our premier centre pairing. Ant and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (who I think will play at 13) does not put enough doubt in the minds of guys like Henry, Johnson and De Villiers, either in terms of how to contain them or how to beat them in defence. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is your classic straight running, hard tackling centre. IMHO, you need someone with a bit of attacking flair along side that kind of player. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't pass the ball a huge amount, so I want someone at 12 who does. Barnes, Gits or JOC (James O'Connor) are those guys. Ant could be a drop in replacement for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) though, which is something worth thinking about should the need arise.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I liked McAbe at 12. Led the defence extremely well, in fact you could say it was the most offensive defensive effort an Oz side has produced for quiet some time. With ball in hand he can pass well off both hands, can kick passably well and nobody can doubt he can straighten the attack.

As I alluded to earlier these are what I rate as the key attributes of a true 12. I dislike the two playmaker system and would prefer not to see Giteau play that sort of role at 12. I seriously doubt the longevity of Barnes and hope for his sake that he gets some more advice on his condition.

McCabe is a great straight running hard nut player and a good defender. But we already have one of those blokes playing as the Wallaby 13. I don't want McCabe playing in the centres at test level until he has racked up a lot more miles in that position at Super rugby level. Were we to play McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as our centre pairing in the 3N and/or RWC, we are goners. The outside backs would never get their hands on the ball. It doesn't offer enough in attack for me. Now Gits and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or McCabe in the centres would a pretty good combination.

You know my stance on Berrick. I think he's the best all round 12 we have, but I worry about the blokes melon (as it seems you do also).

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I just can't see Deans mucking around with the backline, at all. With only 5 games before the RWC, he will use proven performers even for the Samoa game.

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Giteau
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

I have been critical of Giteau for the last 18 months, but his form reversal has been timely. Just so long as he can work with the other backs and not cut down their space and time, he will be given the spot. If he does crab and impede the other players, then JOC (James O'Connor) to 12 and Shepard/Turner to the wing spot.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The only spanner in the works would be if Shmoo makes a miraculous recovery and is fit and in form for the RWC.
You then have to think that both he and JOC (James O'Connor) need to be in the starting side with the latter at 12.
I reckon we will see Deans give JOC (James O'Connor) some time at 12 during the 3Ns and against Samoa so that he is a genuine option there come the RWC.

S

Skippy

We've been blessed with some great centres. Truly world class players who consistently performed on the world stage during the last 20 years, albeit with slightly different skill sets. Players like Horan, Little, Herbert, Nathan Grey, Gits and Mortlock and more recently AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and so on...
Then there have been the 'fill in' players (when the best are injured) who've often been strong Super rugby peformers but lacked the killer edge/the extra dash of speed or dominant tackling ability or distribution skills or ability to break the line when the team needs a great play or run.... or whatever it may be that makes someone 'world class'... such as Steve Kefu, James Holbeck, Graham Bond, Matt O'Connor, Rod Kafer etc all excellent players in their own right but not like the above.
Then's there been the disappointments at centre like Matt Rogers and Timana Tahu.
So given all these players... and when viewed in comparison with these players and the best of the rest of the World... O'Driscoll, Tindall, Nonu, Conrad Smith, SBW, J De Villiers etc where does Ant Fainga'a at this stage of his career fit in best with??
Good player at Super level, but lacking the 'whatever it is' to be a Wallaby 1st choice centre.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
We've been blessed with some great centres. Truly world class players who consistently performed on the world stage during the last 20 years, ... Players like ... Herbert, Nathan Grey, ...

I wouldn't have thought so, Skippy.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I would have Herbert on that list, certainly above Giteau, but not Little and Mortlock. Grey doesn't deserve to be there though - didn't play enough for the wallabies. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't deserve to be on that list either - yet.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I would have Herbert on that list, certainly above Giteau, but not Little and Mortlock. Grey doesn't deserve to be there though - didn't play enough for the wallabies. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't deserve to be on that list either - yet.

Really?!?! Wow...I don't know about Little but as an AB fan, Mortlock has scared the crap outta me for the last decade or so....

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Herbert, D. definitely on the list. Grey definitely not.

BR, I think Scotty was saying that Herbert was a better player than Gits, but not better than Little or Morts.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I heard that before Chuck Norris goes to sleep, he checks under his bed for Stirling Mortlock.

An old one....but it still got a chuckle from me :)

But I, for one, am kinda happy Morlock hasn't shown the form I was anxious he would this year. Only kinda happy cos he's one Wallaby that I have a lot of respect for.....OK, make that mostly happy...

B

Braveheart.

Blooding utility backs on the wing is a pretty common practice and relatively easy to get away with. Starting a player out of position in a pivotal like inside centre, in a World Cup, is not so much.

Berrick Barnes 2007?? I believe he was blooded in a Semi after a cameo in a quarter final??

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Berrick Barnes 2007?? I believe he was blooded in a Semi after a cameo in a quarter final??

Barnes played in all of the pool games except the first against Japan.

Deservedly so.

He'd been the best flyhalf behind Larkham for over a year and Connolly should've played him earlier instead of toying with Rogers and Sam Norton-Knight.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hadn't it been his second year of playing 10/12 for Reds? 20 or so games is a completely different story to McCabe who has played just 1 game there.

McCabe could be a potential 12, but his future is definitely 13... and he's played there for the Wallabies, albeit for 10 minutes.

Also, he's played at 13 for a few Australia A games.

T

tranquility

Each to their own, but I am not sure how so many can undervalue Ant's performances in games this year and last. I don't particularly want to get into a large debate about it, but the fact that he is injured is absolute bedlam for our side because we don't have anyone capable of doing what he does. I think he is a very good footballer, and I think he could be a very good Wallaby.

H

hurge

I think faainga would be an asset ton the back line.
Genia
Cooper
Iaone
Barnes
Faainga
Beale
JOC (James O'Connor)

Status
Not open for further replies.