• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The case for Anthony Fainga'a to wear the Green and Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maroon Army

Harris qualifies for the Wallabies through an Australian grandmother.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yes, except for the Kiwis. I can tell you where DC & SBW will be running right now. A little gap between cooper and barnes. I'd do a swap of Ioane and JOC (James O'Connor) too, just cause it looks better on paper. If only Mike Harris could play for the green and gold

Berrick is an excellent defender at 12 and would handle SBW (assuming he even plays) or at the very least would be able to blunt some of his influence. That is, if his head is OK.

Reactions: daz

Richo

John Thornett (49)
So we're assuming that SBW comes off the bench for the ABs? Surely he has had a better season than Nonu, although I can see the merit in retaining the Nonu-Smith combination -- certainly a very well-balanced and experienced one.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
For me, it doesn't matter who plays 12,13. 10 is going to quade and kurtley has 15 sealed. As long as we have someone who can kick the ball between the posts at least 75% of the time from within 40m. Quade shouldn't be kicking, Gits is worse than my grandmother, I dont remember the last time I saw Barnes kick. Dingo, look at the last 2 winners.
South Africa - Morne Steyn
England - Johnny Wilkinson.
both sides didn't miss a kick add to this Dan Carter for the All Blacks, Contempomi for the Puma's, O'Gara for the Irish and Australia is the only nation who can't kick.

I'm looking at JOC (James O'Connor)

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
DC's kicking hasn't been that great this year. He's missed some not too tough ones.

I actually think his goal kicking is extremely over rated by many. I mean sure, he can kick, but he doesn't have the accuracy of the Wilkinson & O'Gara's of this world. not even close.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can someone get Elton Flatley to teach these guys how to kick?, I'd even settle for Matt Burke or Joe Roff at this point

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
So we're assuming that SBW comes off the bench for the ABs? Surely he has had a better season than Nonu, although I can see the merit in retaining the Nonu-Smith combination -- certainly a very well-balanced and experienced one.

Nonu's form has been outstanding these last couple of weeks, his combination with Smith is invaluable as well. He was arguably the form midfielder in the world last year, SBW is going to have to do something pretty special in the warm-ups and 3Ns to wrestle the jersey off him.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nonu + Smith with either SBW or Fruen on the bench. If the kiwi's weren't such chokers I'd actually be quite worried that the boys across the ditch might win it. Nevertheless, I'm more worried about the Boks and the idiot who decided to give Morne Steyn a kicking tee when he was growing up.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Nonu's form has been outstanding these last couple of weeks, his combination with Smith is invaluable as well. He was arguably the form midfielder in the world last year, SBW is going to have to do something pretty special in the warm-ups and 3Ns to wrestle the jersey off him.

Obviously Nonu has the pedigree and past form, but he did play poorly earlier in the season. Haven't seen him play lately though. Can't say I'm happy to hear he is back in form!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Considering this thread is about Faainga's chances, anyone asked the bloke if he can kick?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Nonu + Smith with either SBW or Fruen on the bench. If the kiwi's weren't such chokers I'd actually be quite worried that the boys across the ditch might win it. Nevertheless, I'm more worried about the Boks and the idiot who decided to give Morne Steyn a kicking tee when he was growing up.

Freuen won't be on the bench, he'll be lucky if he makes the squad - his front on defence is really pretty average. SBW might make the bench, more likely to be McAlister and iDagg though.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Doesn't matter, he's the best defender in Australia and can read Cooper's mind, no one else is really in the same league.

Plus Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale are already locked in, hardly need to be going out of your way to find another kicker.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
That's a stretch, even assuming you're just talking about 12s. IMO, Barnes is a better all-round defender than Fainga'a.

Ahh, my tone clearly didn't come through properly, I wasn't actually being serious. I'd take JOC (James O'Connor), Giteau, Barnes and McCabe over him - in that order as well. He's a fantastic player at SupeRugby level, but I just don't think he's got it in him to step up effectively at test level. Some people just can't, Stephen Donald, Mark Chisolm, Richard Brown etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.