• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Israel Folau saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Is it true that a couple of current Wallabies have "liked" his post? If so, what are the ramifications. (Given the number of players of PI ancestory, it would be surprising if there were not others who at least accepted his views).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
good for you, I still find no humour in this issue. nor do many of the sponsors and fans.
You can enjoy watching Folau improve his kicking in passing in another country or code.

It is part of the beliefs of a goodly chunk of Christian, Jewish and Muslim believers - all of which I think are pretty crazy, but they can say whatever they like.

It is nothing that isn't preached every day in the Sydney CBD by various loons trying to "save" me

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it likely that he'd be terminated without payout for this?

This is what I'm curious about. Even if they have multiple things in his contract about social media posts, rights of termination etc. it doesn't mean they are watertight.

If his contract gets terminated you can just about guarantee he will sue RA and the Waratahs for unfair dismissal and in my non-lawyer view would have a fairly solid case that the action taken to dismiss him was disproportionate to his behaviour.

The most frustrating thing about all this is the difficult position this puts RA in. They lose whatever they do here.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Can we be rid of this guy already? There are so many other places his >1m a year can be better spent.

If his views are of such personal importance to him, he should find an employer that embraces them, surely.

He could go back to League. He'd help class that joint up.

Seriously though, I was on Folau's side the last time around even though I don't share his beliefs. However, if it's the case that he was warned explicitly that further provocations on social media could lead to suspension or expulsion, well, he'd only have himself to blame if that eventuates.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And also I think it is a really difficult position for the powers that be, one of the biggest growth areas of rugby players are conservative christian islanders whose churches are positing these very same positions.
Do we want a belief test now before we offer a rugby contract?
Do we want stop praying on the field?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is part of the beliefs of a goodly chunk of Christian, Jewish and Muslim believers - all of which I think are pretty crazy, but they can say whatever they like.

It is nothing that isn't preached every day in the Sydney CBD by various loons trying to "save" me

It's kind of irrelevant though. As a public figure, all his behaviour has a very real impact on his employer.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Is it true that a couple of current Wallabies have "liked" his post? If so, what are the ramifications. (Given the number of players of PI ancestory, it would be surprising if there were not others who at least accepted his views).

A like doesn't necessarily mean a lot, I doubt there'd be too many ramifications from RA's end. Whether or not those players crack the shit with Izzy being punished is a different question.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
And also I think it is a really difficult position for the powers that be, one of the biggest growth areas of rugby players are conservative christian islanders whose churches are positing these very same positions.

Excellent point. You can't claim to be all in favour of equality and diversity and let a controversy like this become an exercise in Christian-bashing.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is a dreadful situation, that is for sure. I disagree, I reckon a "like" means a lot, unless the players in question are totally stupid, they know what they are doing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I wonder if the RA allowing a public display of religious belief on the field would encourage someone like Izzy, who apparently has strong religious beliefs, to take a public stand on those beliefs on Twitter etc? I personally think religion should be kept separate from the game of rugby. Players who want to pray for their opposition to lose should do so in the privacy of the change rooms, or elsewhere.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wonder if the RA allowing a public display of religious belief on the field would encourage someone like Izzy, who apparently has strong religious beliefs, to take a public stand on those beliefs on Twitter etc? I personally think religion should be kept separate from the game of rugby. Players who want to pray for their opposition to lose should do so in the privacy of the change rooms, or elsewhere.

So actions like this are unacceptable? and should be banned?

Bk8DYpuCcAAYAZg.jpg

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It's not really. It's just the commercial reality of operating in a competitive market.

And he is so commercially viable that he will find a contract elsewhere, as we make assumption the bizarre that assumption that thousands upon thousands of qantas ticket buyers will choose other airlines because of an instagram post. And that very same instagram post will also drive down the sales of Daikon products

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
This is a very simple position for RA.
Izzy is allowed to have his opinions and even to express them but when his comments directly impact RA and their sponsors etc... Then he must accept the consequences therein.
This is a man who makes a huge amount of money based upon his position with the Waratahs and RA.
You can argue that he earns the money because of ability but that is only true in as much as it is his ability that gives him the in with RA.
RA makes the money used to pay him through sponsors and the wider Rugby community.
If his comments put those funds under risk then he cannot expect that risk to not be passed on to him.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom from criticism and consequences.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And he is so commercially viable that he will find a contract elsewhere, as we make assumption the bizarre that assumption that thousands upon thousands of qantas ticket buyers will choose other airlines because of an instagram post. And that very same instagram post will also drive down the sales of Daikon products

You've kind of missed the point here.

RA/NSWRU have to keep their sponsors happy. They are reliant on the income.

Do you think those sponsors will be happy their brands are being dragged into this?

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)

No, he will probably not cause thousands of ticket buyers to choose other airlines. His comments could however cause Qantas to withdraw sponsorship as they do not want their brand associated with him and his very vocal opinions.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
You've kind of missed the point here.

RA/NSWRU have to keep their sponsors happy. They are reliant on the income.

Do you think those sponsors will be happy their brands are being dragged into this?

Exactly, in any business, if the client takes offence to something you've said, you're going to be at least taken off that project. Likewise, if you violate your company's ethics policy you're going to be disciplined. RA will have to weigh up the costs/benefits of sanctioning Folau and make a business decision accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.