• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Number Eight Situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Elsom to 8, Mumm to 6, Douglas to locks and Dennis on bench.

I am sorry for my bias opinion

T

tranquility

On form, Hodgson.

He has been dynamic, inspirational even. I am not completely cynical of that particular backrow working, however I am doubtful.

For my mind with the World cup around the corner is had to be Higginbum, he is so raw - yet he is still playing so well. Give him 10 test matches under Robby and Jim Williams in a Wallaby first XV environment and he could be a massive X factor come world cup time.

You can't put in what god left out, and god gave him plenty.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
tranquility said:
On form, Hodgson.

He has been dynamic, inspirational even. I am not completely cynical of that particular backrow working, however I am doubtful.

For my mind with the World cup around the corner is had to be Higginbum, he is so raw - yet he is still playing so well. Give him 10 test matches under Robby and Jim Williams in a Wallaby first XV environment and he could be a massive X factor come world cup time.

I think that's a roughly my opinion on the matter.

At the same time, if they were to go with Higginbotham, I'd be inclined to move him to 6 and Rocky to 8. Why? Because as you said, Higginbotham has to develop as a player in that environment and the responsibilities of 6 are less than those of 8. Its simpler for a player to get up to speed at a Test level when his responsibilities are largely ball carries, rucking and tackling (in no specific order). An 8 requires a more complete passing and linking game and is a more technical position at scrum time. Also, there's the positional elements that people have discussed previously, including the dropping back to be ready to receive kick ball. Given that, I'd be more inclined to let Rocky who is already up to speed at Test level be worrying about getting that right rather than asking Higginbotham to do it all.

If they go with Hodgson, then either or. He's spent time at 8 before now and knows some of the ins and outs of the role. Although, you could suggest the same things as Higginbotham for him as well (since despite having red hot form, really hasn't played at Test level yet).

T

tranquility

I was looking more at the backrow equation rather than specifically the 8 position. But I tend to agree, he would be better off learning the ropes from the flank.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Rocky to 8 for me. Would like to see Higgers in the Wallaby mix. with his build and style, Robbie could do similar things as he did for Kiren Read at the Saders.

S

steiner

Trialling TPN at 8 would be my choice. He's quicker off the mark than Palu and with his low body height as he hits the breakdown behind Pocock, could be effective in de-stabilising it before the troops arrive. Better in this area than Palu anyway. Might lose a little bit on the run and ball-carry but TPN still good enough at this.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ball control at the back of scrum/option taking off the back of the scrum is not a generic skill. TPN is not a wallaby 8. At the start of his career he well could of become one but he has been blooded as a hooker and will (and should) remain as such.

I think the best option would be playing Rocky as a 8 in attack, 6 in defense. The jersey he wears doesn't matter. He has always shouldered much of the fielding the long ball work (like an 8) and has played there in a wallaby jersey with some success in the past. I don't see this as an issue.

What is more important than what positions back row players play is the balance they bring around the field. Pocock-Hodg-Rock might balance well or Pocock-Rock-Brown might balance well. Im sure Robby will suss this out with some success.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Please not Brown - even if he didn't have regular brain explosions he isn't big enough.

Hodgson, Pocock, Elsom - 6, 7, 8

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
tranquility said:
On form, Hodgson.

Yeah, I think that's what I reckon, but with Mowen / Higgsy options. The 'bottom is maybe too raw. He drops pill, and has minor brain explosions. There's something smart about Mowen's play that combines nicely with his size.

Aren't you guys worried about the size of Hodgson / Pocock / Elsom as a combination?

And I reaaaaaally think that Mumm plays world class rugby at lock and pretty ordinary at 6. I don't know why, but there it is.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If you want a guy who tackles his arse off, the stats say its Hodgson

Tackling your arse off doesn't mean you are a destructive tackler, like Scarfie wants.

Aren't you guys worried about the size of Hodgson / Pocock / Elsom as a combination?

And I reaaaaaally think that Mumm plays world class rugby at lock and pretty ordinary at 6. I don't know why, but there it is.

I am worried about the size - I don't think this combo will work against the likes of the Boks. S14 is one thing, test matches another.

I am still willing to see Mumm get a shot at 6 to see if he can prove himself there. Otherwise also trialling Higgin and Mowen is important. Hodgson and Pocock can share openside. So obviously my squad would have those six loosies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Would I like bigger guys like Mowen and Higgers to smash guys in tackles and make metres? Yes

Do they? No.

So the choice is between a guy who is doing it at S14 level, and two guys who aren't. Or, you pull Mumm outta lock.

Out of interest, is Michael Jackson your source of special info Scarfie?

PS - Last year I woulda been advocating Mowen on size and performance (before he was injured). But not this.

S

Spook

When does Horwill recover? Chuck him in at 6. Mumm, Sharpe at lock. Elsom to 8.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Gagger said:
Would I like bigger guys like Mowen and Higgers to smash guys in tackles and make metres? Yes

Do they? No.

So the choice is between a guy who is doing it at S14 level, and two guys who aren't. Or, you pull Mumm outta lock.

Out of interest, is Michael Jackson your source of special info Scarfie?

PS - Last year I woulda been advocating Mowen on size and performance (before he was injured). But not this.

I agree with your arguement, but I doubt that Hodgson is going to have that effect at international level, so the better option may be to go for one of the bigger guys, with more potential, than the smaller one that has reached his potential. It is now or never in regards to the world cup next year.

You are more or less advocating a return to two opensides, and that was generally a failure at international level.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
#1 Tah said:
Goddamnit. why did smith have to retire

He is injured anyway.

I know I'll be keeping my eye over 'botham the next few weeks as I think he would give the right balance to the backrow. Having said that, I don't think size is everything. And Pocock and Elsom are big lads and make up for any of Hogdson short comings

Status
Not open for further replies.