• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Number Eight Situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Spook said:
I think his mobility is underrated. Anyway, he can move to number 8 on defensive scrums.

Perhaps. I'd rather just have him and Sharpey pushing at lock. That is some serious motor for the scrum.

S

Spook

NTA said:
Spook said:
I think his mobility is underrated. Anyway, he can move to number 8 on defensive scrums.

Perhaps. I'd rather just have him and Sharpey pushing at lock. That is some serious motor for the scrum.

Isn't his scrummaging dodgy? :nta:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It was. But on the evidence of his season so far, there is little to argue about where the Force scrum is concerned. They gave QLD some real misery for example, and the Highlanders couldn't shift them.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This thread demonstrates why it's good that the wallabies aren't chosen by fans.

On an interesting side note, there are theories that democracy's greatest failing is that it is a popularity contest and that the average voter is swayed by policies which may not neccessarily be for the greater good. Undoubtedly a question for another time.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Which is a good reason to abolish compulsory voting. When it is optional to vote, you are more likely to get the more informed of society turning out to vote, and thus a better long term benefit to the country/state etc.

The politicians would be more likely to speak bs and constantly market themselves if we cut out voters that only get to the polls because they have to.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Scotty said:
Gagger said:
Would I like bigger guys like Mowen and Higgers to smash guys in tackles and make metres? Yes

Do they? No.

So the choice is between a guy who is doing it at S14 level, and two guys who aren't. Or, you pull Mumm outta lock.

Out of interest, is Michael Jackson your source of special info Scarfie?

PS - Last year I woulda been advocating Mowen on size and performance (before he was injured). But not this.

I agree with your arguement, but I doubt that Hodgson is going to have that effect at international level, so the better option may be to go for one of the bigger guys, with more potential, than the smaller one that has reached his potential. It is now or never in regards to the world cup next year.

You are more or less advocating a return to two opensides, and that was generally a failure at international level.

Definitely not a double openside fan, but the biggest thing Cliffy gives us is go forward, and Hodgson's making more metres per game than Palu or Rocky, or any other Aussie backrower for that matter.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Gagger,

Part of the reason he is making more metres, is because he is running more. I believe your stats have Mumm making more metres per run than Hodgson.

Anyway, the question partly needs to be what the player can do in internationals, not just what he is doing in S14.

I personally would prefer to see Hodgson as openside backup, and a good player to have on the bench to cover all back row positions. He is likely to make more impact against tiring defenses, even if he comes on in 6 or 8 position.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Gagger said:
Definitely not a double openside fan, but the biggest thing Cliffy gives us is go forward, and Hodgson's making more metres per game than Palu or Rocky, or any other Aussie backrower for that matter.

While I have nothing against Hodgson and agree he's having a blinder of a year, statistics like that can be misleading.

It doesn't disseminate between meters gained in broken or support play versus meters gained from the initial hit up, which is what Palu provides.

I didn't support the Rocky to 8 idea until I watched the game last weekend. Disregarding the opposition, Rocky was playing like an 8.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Scotty - I suspect our thinking isn't that far apart. If I had my choice I'd like more size in the 6/8 possy as well, and I would have Mowen/Higgers around the squad as well. But I wouldn't sacrifice work rate and metres for tall timber/height either in deciding my 22.

I'd say Mumm's total metres/game are nigh on the same as Hodgson. He's also hitting a good number of rucks and hitting the gain line well. He's 12cm taller and 9kg heavier as well. Questions is, can we afford him out of lock this season?

In terms of metres, you drop a fair way then to Higgers and Mowen. By eye, out of the two I think Higgers has the better body shape and potential for power, he's also hitting a good number of rucks. However, we've talked about his failure to deliver with the tight running with his body height - reflected in his gain line stat.

To James' point, by memory/impression, more of Higgers' metre-making runs are in space, I'm thinking of the tries vs the Chiefs as examples. By converse my impression is that Hodgson's runs have been in the traffic, with a Force unit that hasn't exactly been on top. The stats obviously don't capture this.

Finally, with the NRI's, I believe counter-rucking will be invaluable this season as a way to slow ball / force turn overs. (Even last season, look at what Adam Fucking Thompson did to us in Wellington). Hodgson and Waugh are light years in front of the other contenders. Could be influenced by them playing as open sides, but then again Braid is only making 8 and G Smith 9 per game vs 13 for Hodgson, and 3 for Higgers or Mowen. This ability alone could be gold dust at 6 in 2010.

In short, I definitely wouldn't go two fetchers, but I would consider Hodgson the best current candidate for blindside, outside of Mumm. The rest have a long way to come before challenging.

backrowers-by-metres2.gif

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
my solution.

1 Robinson
2 TPN
3 Weeks
4 Mumm
5 Sharpe
6 Elsom
7 Pocock
8 Benny Alexander!!!!!

I have a ten point argument justifying this selection.

But I'm tired.

Off to bed.

G'night.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
It's a shame Braid isn't eligible. He'd probably make a respectable fill-in 8.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Noddy said:
my solution.

1 Robinson
2 TPN
3 Weeks
4 Mumm
5 Sharpe
6 Elsom
7 Pocock
8 Benny Alexander!!!!!

I have a ten point argument justifying this selection.

But I'm tired.

Off to bed.

G'night.

And you can sleep at night without arguing it?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think people who question Elsom at eight probably didnlt see him play there for Leinster? I saw a good few games and he was bloody good.

I think he has the ability.

Pocock, Elsom, Hodgson is definitely worth a start in one of the warmup tests I would think.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scarfie,

By those stats Hodgson has around 4.5m per run on average, while Higgers is over 5.5 and both Mumm and Mowen are over 6.5 (which equates to more than 40% more than Hodgson). Hodgson may still work out to be the man, but I am getting the feeling he is being a little overrated on this site, mainly due to the poor team mates he has had around him.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Status
Not open for further replies.