• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Unpopular opinion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
NSWRU and Shute Shield are to entirely blame for the mess that is Rugby in this country. Not the ARU. :)

Well, not entirely, but take a look at the NSWRL back in the day. They didn't wait for anyone to green light taking Sydney league comp and turning it into a national comp.

Shute Shield and it's teams should have aimed from 1995 onwards to grow into a national comp with a 2 teams from Qld, 1 from ACT,Vic, SA and WA. NZ can fuck sheep for all I care.

Configure it how you'd like, but rather than wait for the ARU to move on anything, how about taking control of your own destiny. You should have, you fucked up, you're fault.
Firstly, not all your views are unpopular.
Secondly, Shute shield did try: Canberra played in the comp and reached a GF

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
So did Newcastle. They beat Eastwood in their last game, which was the last game of the 1999 season, and the Woodies went on to win their first premiership.

And we won the Rugby and Cricket World Cups.

And I married Mrs Wamberal. What a year!!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So did Newcastle. They beat Eastwood in their last game, which was the last game of the 1999 season, and the Woodies went on to win their first premiership.

And we won the Rugby and Cricket World Cups.

And I married Mrs Wamberal. What a year!!!
I have to confess W that was my recollection but when I checked on Wikipedia there was no mention of them. I thought, rather than arm the pedants if my memory had failed me I'd stick to what I could prove.
You'll get any flack.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
Firstly, not all your views are unpopular.
Secondly, Shute shield did try: Canberra played in the comp and reached a GF

To be honest I didn't really know, my post was half jest half what could have been. Like most here I've been pondering how can Australian rugby move forward and I'm coming to the conclusion that the Shute Shield + others might be the best placed to transform the joint.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
To be honest I didn't really know, my post was half jest half what could have been. Like most here I've been pondering how can Australian rugby move forward and I'm coming to the conclusion that the Shute Shield + others might be the best placed to transform the joint.

I can't remember why it failed - I still think its a good idea

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
SS needs to regenerate western Sydney before they look to expand IMO

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I can't remember why it failed - I still think its a good idea
"The NSW Rugby Union is set to dump the second-placed Canberra Vikings from the Sydney competition in an effort to return the first-class premiership to a purely local competition.

Newcastle dropped out of the 14-team competition last year, citing a lack of funds and pressure from the larger established clubs such as Eastwood, Randwick and Gordon."

http://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_/id/15345401/act-urges-aru-halt-funding-new-south-wales

Reads like it come from today's paper

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My recollection is that the involvement of the Vikings in the SS didn't fail. It was believed in some quarters that the Vikings were too competitive against most of the SS sides and that led to them being excluded.

In any case, so much for the SS developing as a national competition even when apparently funds were provided to them for just that purpose.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Some quarters = the usual Bunglies tinfoil hat brigade.

I have very fond memories of Eastwood thrashing the Vikings (with Giteau and Henjak in the team) at Milner in their last season.

Travel was a huge problem, as was the management of four grades plus Colts games.

Blaming the SS for not being a national competition is a bit of a stretch. If there were to have been a national competition, the ARU should have done something about it.

They didn't. More's the pity.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
There's a solution to every problem, usually it involves money..

If they can't assist western Sydney,then they are not in a position to be looking to help elsewhere
If The Church of Rome and perhaps the Presbyterians built some boys schools out Penrith way and played rugby in other school comps then you would have the first building block in place.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^ Schools like St Dominics at Penrith or Patrician brothers Blacktown? - 2 pretty well known League nurseries.

ISA also have their training session on the Rugby fields at Blue Mountains Grammar.

Pretty sure an Anglican School out there used to be in the ISA?

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
How?

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Super Rugby team in Western Sydney, sign a few big name League players for initial interest. Pump money into them to make them interesting. BAM western sydney into rugby.

Ship has probably sailed now though, given GWS and Wanderers already did it to great success.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
"Pump money in". Mmm. Where does the money come from?

Soccer was big in the West for decades before the Wanderers came onto the scene. The AFL poured huge money into GWS. Izzy, for example. But far, far more than any normal code would squander.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My recollection is that the involvement of the Vikings in the SS didn't fail. It was believed in some quarters that the Vikings were too competitive against most of the SS sides and that led to them being excluded.

In any case, so much for the SS developing as a national competition even when apparently funds were provided to them for just that purpose.

Nah, nice spin, the other point of view is that they were given a easy ride, they didn't even have to field all the grades and Colts teams

Play the Vikings in those days and half the grades weren't getting matches.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nah, nice spin, the other point of view is that they were given a easy ride, they didn't even have to field all the grades and Colts teams

Play the Vikings in those days and half the grades weren't getting matches.

And this is the other point: rival codes are fielding their top grade and one other team - either U20 or a "reserve" squad which are mostly standby or development players.

Shute Shield can't compete at a professional level while its tied to the club structure that is slowly losing in Sydney.

I hear people saying "Nah its all good!" - but their club is travelling well. Look at the Emus right now. They can't field all teams and haven't fielded all Colts since forever.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And this is the other point: rival codes are fielding their top grade and one other team - either U20 or a "reserve" squad which are mostly standby or development players.

Shute Shield can't compete at a professional level while its tied to the club structure that is slowly losing in Sydney.

I hear people saying "Nah its all good!" - but their club is travelling well. Look at the Emus right now. They can't field all teams and haven't fielded all Colts since forever.

Yeah, a thousand years ago each club was fielding 5 grade teams and three colts at a minimum

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
"Pump money in". Mmm. Where does the money come from?

Soccer was big in the West for decades before the Wanderers came onto the scene. The AFL poured huge money into GWS. Izzy, for example. But far, far more than any normal code would squander.

I dunno, we could have pumped all the money we blew on the rebels into it?

'Normal' code. They invested and it paid off. Pretty sure anyone would do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.