• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

B

Bobby Sands

I don't think he'll be that strong running the ball. I think his closest analog is probably Higgers.

Ummm no.

Huggers was a wide running back rower who was largely ineffective at shifting bodies, but could put on a hit.

Wilson does his work in close - which is much more valuable.

Reactions: TSR

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
For sure, I meant AT LEAST till after round 5.

At least the back half. Then we see form, combos that may or may not work, and sadly who gets injured.
BUT, at least it sounds like some exciting young talent is coming through now, so I get the speculation.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Alright, let's argue.

Which Super Rugby rookie has put their hand up for a locked-in position in the Wallabies for the next 3 years?

Let's make our crazy post-Round 2 predictions.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Doesn't mean that there won't be a handful or more of them who will make the grade, just can't identify them after two games. But Kata is certainly looking good.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone know with JP Smith is able to play for the Wallabies?
After his showing in South Africa he's gotta be in the conversation for any of the 4 Wallabies prop spots.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Doesn't mean that there won't be a handful or more of them who will make the grade, just can't identify them after two games. But Kata is certainly looking good.

I don't think Kata would be eligible for the Wallabies anytime soon - he's only been in Australia since June.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Swaps from loose head to tight, has a 20 kid in his second game come on at loose head, has the two wingers on the flanks and wins the penalty Amazing.

In my opinion he's without a doubt the reason Tupou's scrumaging has improved so much when Tupou started he was just a REALLY BIG body but since he's developed into an 80 min player and a fierce scrumager!

JP's just a career scrum pig! He's a monster, plus at 30 he's just coming into his prime as a scrumager, dude ought to be in frame for a Wallabies spot, he'll be fierce behind our big locks!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
With HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) not showing a great deal now moved to THP (though arguably useful as a utility, but....just not as good as Kepu)

THEN the Smith Twins IMO are the no.3 Props on their respective sides. Both are better at their trade then Robertson/HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) & Ainsley/Faulkner.

LHP: Sio, Slipper, Smith 1
THP: Ala'alatoa, Thor, Smith 2

2020 may be the year a few journeyman get their hands on a gold jersey, as right now their stocks are rising, behind the incumbents, but still a step ahead of the 20 yr olds who will develop and get their chance 2021/22.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think the Slipper vs Smith question will be settled by the style Rennie chooses to play. Slipper is stronger around the park, but Smith is so dominant in the scrum. If we want to be anything beyond 'sufficient' in the scrum then Smith is probably has the edge. So if Rennie choose to be a set-piece team it'll be Sio and Smith, along with Tupou and Ala'alatoa on the other side. If we go the other way then Slipper has a good case.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Great scrummagers, don’t offer a whole lot around the ground. Depends what Rennie wants from his finishers and who they’re playing

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I happily retract my Samu sentiments of last week regarding his Wallaby chances this year. He was one of the Brumbies best again. The back row will be interesting. Lots of options.