• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France 3rd Test - 21 June Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well that was great to see. The Wallabies approached the game with the attitude and TACTICS from the first test. I choose to ignore the horrendous game that took place ion between.

My thought on the third test:-
1) As stated the intent was there from the start, with a more balanced game plan to the first test.
2) The application of the forwards was magnificent, in particular the grunt work done by Fardy, Slipper and Kepu around the rucks and in defence.
3) The running game of Palu was one of the best games I have ever seen from him at Super or Test level. When he was contained holes opened for the other running forwards in Kepu, TPN and Skelton. They all played extremely well in my view.
4) Set Piece - both scrum and lineout functioned well. I was somewhat disappointed in Simmons lineout calling when he attracted all the French jumpers and Skelton was alone at 2 and he didn't change the call for a quick 2 throw and lost the ball. They need to work on this aspect as Skelton is actually a lineout option if used properly, because unlike Timani before him Skelton actually has very good hands.
5) Nick White - I must say the last two games have disappointed me. The second test was a very poor match IMO simply because the skill execution was poor. White improved with a balanced game plan, but his skill execution was well below what he is capable of. Box kicks going 20 metres too deep and no where being contestable or even in a pressurable position. Loopy passes above, below or even behind the receiver. I have read much of the angst against Foley, but a key indicator of how he is playing is looking at what the dynamic is when White was replaced. The game sped up and the Wallabies play became more accurate directly leading to the try by Hooper. Foley has some issues by much of the problem is stemming from half back service.
6) To'omua - I feel that To'omua has been well below the form he showed at 12 last year. So far below that he is under genuine pressure from Beale for the position despite offering a totally different dynamic.
7) Skelton - despite the lineout issues that have been raised again and again by some I thought he had a dominating game. The fact that it was his debut is even more kudos. I have read that his numbers in terms of workrate and involvement were below some other lock prospects, but I care not one bit for statistics which take no account of actual effectiveness. I would take somebody who is very effective with 60% of the involvement of somebody else who has little to no effect on the outcomes.
8)A clean sweep against a 5 nations side, even a mid ranked 5 nations side, is nothing to dismiss. This is a very good result and the nature of the last test, in a great venue before a full house is just what Australian Rugby needed to show case the game.

One final thought, although it is impossible to compare games, the NZ v Eng Test 3 showed how far the Wallabies have to lift in terms of skill execution. The first 30 minutes by the ABs in heavy rain was at least as good as the Wallabies in the dry. The English did well to fight back as they did but that game was over before half time because of that brilliant execution of base skills. Anybody harping on about Brown being a great 15 needs to watch these last three tests, he wouldn't rank in the top 5 in the world IMO.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Re Fardy, I'm not too sure about his longevity as our starting 6 but he has the spot locked down at least for the immediate future. He does seem to balance our backrow quite well. But there is a pair of good backrows (McCalman/Higgers) breathing down his neck. Obviously your not going to get Higgers to play the same type of role for the team but if you to bring Carter back into the starting side you could probably afford to play a different type of 6.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sold on Higgers. I wonder if he is carrying an injury? I just haven't seen anything from him this year to warrant any notion of him having pressure on Fardy or even McCalman. IMO if Fardy falls foul of the Brumbies curse McCalman would be in the box seat to take over at 6 and I would consider looking elsewhere before Higgers came onto the bench, probably, Jones.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
On re watching the replay I notice that work the Cummins gets through, he ran about 6 or 7 decoys on the opposite wing drawing in one or two defenders. One occasion resulted in To'omua finding izzy and him scoring in the corner. Tomane is a great ball runner but I really like the Badge he will never let you down. He its rucks better then most forwards too

There was one point after he just injured his shoulder which wa clearly troubling him, yet he saw he need to get back in support - sprinted back and just as he got onside a kick was put through so he duly did a 180 and was the first chaser for the kick all the while his arm is hanging by his side.

That is the true spirit that wins big games.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Last time we won a World Cup we used a very similar type mix in the backrow, albeit with a 7 who competed better at the breakdown but was less effective with ball in hand.

Certainly you could compare the two sixes as alike though.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
There was one point after he just injured his shoulder which wa clearly troubling him, yet he saw he need to get back in support - sprinted back and just as he got onside a kick was put through so he duly did a 180 and was the first chaser for the kick all the while his arm is hanging by his side.

That is the true spirit that wins big games.
He also made a tackle during that passage of play with one good paw was inspiring stuff showed how committed he was great to see!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I really have read some odd things over the course of this series, like criticism of two of the members of our excellent back row. Hooper has been incredibly industrious across the series and some of his work yesterday was inspirational, even though he made a couple of fairly uncharacteristic handling errors. Not a real openside, my arse. The talk that Fardy is under pressure is utterly bizarre in my view. He does so much of the dirty work in tight and is probably the best rolling maul killer I've seen in recent times. He may not be as eye catching as he was last season but he'd be in the first couple picked on my team sheet.

The pack have come on massively as a unit in this series. The fact that we've dominated so much IMHO creates the impression that maybe a couple of blokes aren't at their best. For mine that only means that the overall performance level has increased. Look, we've dusted a tier one forward pack three weeks in a row and done it while losing a couple of blokes to injury in the process at various times. Let's not make the perfect the enemy of the good here, we've been excellent in the pigs in June, even though there is plenty of improvement left in them (there'll need to be when I look to what we'll be up against in TRC).

In the backs I've felt we've been a little uneven, but the endeavour and intent have been there. We got very loose in the last 20-30 yesterday and in a game against the Poms, Boks or Blecks we'll need to be a lot more accurate. The halves have been good, but again they'll need to be better. Izzy's passing (or the timing thereof) will need to improve as well to make him the complete player. I felt that at times he didn't give the ball early enough or compressed the space for the men outside him by going the outside break every time. That said, his two tries were absolutely top drawer and the brilliant passing from To'omua and Skelton set him up beautifully.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Could we possibly be turning a corner in regards to the scrum?

Watching our bench front row of Sio, Charles, and Weeks dominate in a couple of scrums against the French warmed the cockles of my heart.

Thomas Domingo, Christopher Tolofua, and Vincent Debaty are no mugs, that's for sure.

I guess the key will be keeping our first choice forwards injury free

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
First half replay from my lounge.

1France kick off. Fielded by White, kicked to touch
French lineout. Throw to 4, knocked back by Simmons for a steal
Couple of phases, resulting in a penalty.

2Foley takes 3 as he creeps it inside the left

3French restart. Fielded my Fardy who is tackled at The Beast's feet. Hooper, Slipper, abnd Skelton fail to shift The Beast who gets the penalty for not Fardy releasing. Strong

4Penalty kick France misses to the right as it hits the post

522 restart Foley goes to the French 35m line. Big tackle Kepu. French passing breaks down and White drags Bastareud into touch with help from Slipper
Lineout Wallabies straight to Skelton. Ball wide, Foley hits Kuridrani on the chest and he goes into contact.

6Next phase sees some good passes from White, Foley and To'omua to put Simmons into contact - straight to ground.
Pass from White goes behind Foley and he drops it, having a peek at the opposition. He scrambles and recovers, losing 20m
Simmons goes up followed by Skelton as Foley hits three targets with accuracy, including THB who goes to deck and has barely any forwards to cover it.
When White delivers the subsequent ball under severe pressure, Foley isn't ready - looks like he's setting up the outsides and To'omua is back and deep. Foley catches and lobs to To'omua.

7BIG cleanout from Skelton after Simmons flops a ruck. Ball goes wide again and White isn't at the ruck base so Kepu steps in.

8Awful pass from White puts Foley under pressure. and he hits Slipper on the chest. Foley forced to clean out because no forwards are there.
He also goes in at a subsequent ruck that he probably doesn't need to, but there aren't enough forwards there.
Who the fuck said it was Dusatoir he ran over? Was the 7

9Foley kicks the conversion

10French restart, Simmons bobbles but takes. Couple of phases and Foley drills it into the French 22.
Dulin puts its out near the 40

11Great take Simmons, ball from To'omua to Skelton who speed bumps Dusatoir
To'omua to Foley who has a peek at the oncoming and loses it backwards
Palu recovers, White puts in the fucking dud grubber kick I was talking about earlier

12French play a phase then Dulin nails a lovely kick into our 22.
Fardy knocks it on at the lineout. First scrum.

13Mess. Reset. Short arm to us as the French wiggle before impact

14Lineout France just inside their half. Numbers against us though Simmons got up for the ball
France call scrum. Good scrum from their loosehead and penalty France. Take the shot and get it. Monster kick Dulin.

17Foley restarts - Hooper offside by about 2 metres but makes the tackle on Dulin. Fofana drops onto the ball as our cavalry arrive, and Foley kicks the penalty
Though he was offside, jeez Hooper has some wheels!

18French restart to Simmons. Palu takes and charges. Slipper takes the next and Skelton gets Dusatoir off the ruck even though Dusatoir wasn't doing anything.

19Foley takes it to the line. Then the first of White's awful box kicks. Forward pass France as TPN and THB cut Fofana in half

20TPN a bit hurt. Scrum Wallabies. French THP goes down, reset.

21Slipper drops his elbow a little but ball out and play on. Folau takes three then next pass from White is poo. Kepu cleans up. TPN into the gap off a Foley short ball. Great line
White produces another crap pass and Foley and Kuridrani let it bounce to THB. Knock on in contact from the Badge.

22Scrum France. Good pressure Wallabies, particularly Slipper

23Simmons penalised for not using his arms when diving at the ball tackler's legs. Uh. ok. Weird but I guess its in the Laws.

24French lineout. Ball to 2, Skelton smacks the bloke as he comes to deck. French kick.

25Solid run Kepu, then Hooper drops it cold from a low White pass. Skelton hammers Dusatoir.
Simmons takes it in, is stopped behind the ad line, and nearly turned over due to poor cleanout but we get the penalty.

26Simmons calls to himself and TPN threads the needle. It was a dangerous call given the Frogs were guarding 4 and 6, but well executed
French have 10 missed tackles to zero at this point.
Some nice passing from White, Foley, and To'omua, but the movement is a bit lateral and Folau has to come in from touch
THB cleans up, but is driven back. Foley takes the line on, makes back the ground lost, then White and To'omua put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) into contact
Folau gets his hands through two phases later, but tries to offload and stuffs it.

27Yellow card French #3. Looking back at it, Hooper was never getting that ball as French #2 had the ball covered. But its still a pro foul.
Quick tap Foley, a couple of great phases back and forth, then To'omua gives it to Folau. French backs badly caught out.

28Foley nails the sideline conversion. Suck it haters.

29Palu takes the restart and To'omua goes into contact. Simmons goes subsequently but is knocked over, then Foley stuffs the pass to To'omua/Folau

30French lineout. They're knocked over by Simmons and Skelton in tandem, then get a bit hesitant. Foley cuts down their big #5

31Two phases later Bonnevalle gets away from White but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) nails him
Lineout Wallabies. Good take Simmons. Another box kick - better this time, and Dulin evades AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but runs into Fardy.

32Good tackle Simmons and TPN together. French just starting from too deep. Box kick. Folau majestic, offloads to Fardy then Kuridrani bosses it up but no support and White (I think?) gets penalised for being off his feet.

33French put the penalty kick into touch around 25 out. Maul and Kepu goes in the side. Good foot speed from the French forwards.
20-6

35Restart, French exit after two phases. Simmons uncontested on the French 30m line.
Foley waits too long to deliver the pass to Kuridrani - needed to go a couple of steps earlier. France kick ahead to out goal.
Bit of a mess after that with errors from THB and the French until the French knock it on. Poor clearance from Foley.

38Scrum just outside our 22 our ball. Another abort as the French wiggle before the set.

39Reset as the French THP collapses. Solid scrum by us picked up by Palu to White. Box kick straight to Dulin.

40Dulin returns a bomb - Skelton and White confuse each other and it bounces. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) picks up to Slipper in contact, then Fardy and Hooper make yards.
Palu breaks hard through the line shedding tacklers
Another loopy pass by White misses Foley completely and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) knocks it on.
French scrum ends the half

Hopefully will get to relay the second half some time tonight.

As I said earlier - a number of errors, mostly across the backline.

As I ALSO said earlier, with my usual accuracy, all the hate for Foley should probably include White as well for this half of football. Between them they probably came up with 8 or 9 outright errors handling wise, and White's kicking from hand adds another two or three to his execution failure total.

Rest of the backline had a lower error rate. To'omua and Kuridrani were probably close to error-free, without having watched both of them closely. In general, we were quite lateral and not as penetrative as we should have been, and To'omua was partly responsible for that, releasing nice passes, but to players being shepherded. Maybe Kuridrani could have cut into second receiver a bit more, or a runaround between Foley/To'omua could have created holes.

Its interesting that people say Foley isn't dominant enough and that To'omua could be better at 10 for the Wallabies. I think you're missing the point of having two playmakers.

Folau's try, for example, features Foley several times in the leadup as first receiver, hitting his targets superbly. When he goes openside, the French back three start to move that way, and To'omua's ball finds Folau with space as a result. Why was the space there? The French fullback has left that wing because Foley is going open.

Just like Folau's second try, when Skelton draws an extra man to create space that Folau waltzes right through. That is partly Folau's ability to follow the ball, but partly Skelton's ability to draw a defender.

Similarly, those who think Beale is a better answer at 10 are ignoring the fact that he's coming on late in the games and against a tiring defence.

As I said upon his first selection - Foley is a solid player, and will grow into the role. He's an enabler, not a freak, and his mix of play between passing and taking the line directly fit into a puzzle, they don't change it radically.

On the flipside of that, his clanger rate is pretty low. Yesterday he made three errors in the first half that were outright his fault. But one pass from White in particular was outright garbage that he dropped, and another couple of White passes were so bad they denied any of the backline a chance to do something with it.

Reading this after watching the replay, reminds me how scrappy that first half actually was. I also think that To'omua still has the habit if standing deep and just shoveling the ball rather than bringing it to the line at pace. He tended to only do that if he was going crash ball himself IIRC. Apples and oranges I know but watching the AB game straight after this one (at least the first half of AB) made me realize sterner stuff awaits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
As always we need most of our first pick forwards available but in this series we have been without Moore, Pocock & Alexander and their replacements (if you can call them that) have all stepped up admirably.
I think part of the reason our scrum improved was Horwill coming on in place of Skelton. This is an are that WS will need to work on. I noticed in his last NSW game that their scrum performance dropped off severely when Skelton and Kepu replaced Potgeiter and Ryan. More to do with the second row rather than the front.He is improving but has a long way to go in this area.
Sio is an amazing prospect and it is hard to believe that it has taken this long for Weeks to get a run considering the scrummaging issues we have had in recent times and his Super rugby performance since he was at the Reds.
Charles has been on the radar for a year or two and looks the goods.
Exciting times for the Wallabies.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Good to see a full stadium again, makes all the difference to a game imo.

Saturday arvo tests are clearly a winner with the fans, why can't we get more of this during the year like in Europe?

T

Train Without a Station

Barney, weeks rightfully fell off the radar when he went to the rebels as his form dropped for a couple of years. He's finally kicked on from where he was in 2010.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Reading this after watching the replay, reminds me how scrappy that first half actually was. I also think that To'omua still has the habit if standing deep and just shoveling the ball rather than bringing it to the line at pace. He tended to only do that if he was going crash ball himself IIRC. Apples and oranges I know but watching the AB game straight after this one (at least the first half of AB) made me realize sterner stuff awaits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He drifted a little in attack, but straightened when he took it to the line. But yes he was deep.

I expect the plan against the ABs will be a lot flatter

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Great series win.

Stadium full and fantastic - but to get a beer or do a piss its fucking disgraceful.

Front row of Slips, TPN and Kepu all were immense. Best game I've seen Kepu play.
Palu's best game for many a year.

A few negatives but I'll let them go through to the keeper and bask in the glory.

Well done fellas - great birthday present for Link

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper's work load and effort is unsurpassed - no question it is unbelievable

Only trouble is his lack of pilfering on the ball. It is the only area he needs to improve to become the top 7 in the world.

Have to admit I thought his try was great but his swan dive was poor. A captain does not need to do that sort of flamboyant shit. Sorry, couldn't help myself

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hooper's work load and effort is unsurpassed - no question it is unbelievable

Only trouble is his lack of pilfering on the ball. It is the only area he needs to improve to become the top 7 in the world.

Have to admit I thought his try was great but his swan dive was poor. A captain does not need to do that sort of flamboyant shit. Sorry, couldn't help myself

Agree with the swan dive thought. Just the sort of thing someone who has been injury free will do! However, if that's the worst thing he does as captain I'm happy. Link will make sure Hooper's growth into the captaincy will include some reflection about that moment.

T

Train Without a Station

It's easy to knock Hooper's impact on the breakdown when you only look at pilfering stats.

It ignores aspects like the forced penalty off the kick off and the counter rucking work which he does, as he doesn't get a stat for that.

Let's not forget he topped the stats for pilfers in the 2013 test season so you cannot say that's an area he needs to improve to be the top 7 in the world. He managed to outdo all test 7's 12 months ago. That test season was against a strong SA, the BIL's and AB's. How many pilfers did other players get this series? Was he towelled up be Dusatoir? Perhaps referees weren't as lenient towards the defending team at the breakdown, and subsequently he played the game to the referees?

I would argue being one dimensional at a fringe legal aspect of the game, and subsequently having a low impact on games when referees heavily scrutinise the breakdown would be the type of thing that would stop a bloke from being a top 7 in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.