• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
But when you get what you ask for and then complain about the necessary circumstances that come with that, yes, that’s whingeing.

It
Isn't
Necessary

That's is what ALL of us have been saying ALL of this time.

FFS - are you posting this shit to be deliberately antagonising, or are you truly blind to the concept that other people actually have different thoughts?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
No opposition coach in the world can devise concrete strategies to use against Australia's backline because Cheika has made so many variations in his selections.
Name one Australian player who is a lock-in for one back line position in the England test. Possibly Genia only.
We can't be confident in doing so and surely the players suffer from the constant changing too.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
No opposition coach in the world can devise concrete strategies to use against Australia's backline because Cheika has made so many variations in his selections.
Name one Australian player who is a lock-in for one back line position in the England test. Possibly Genia only.
We can't be confident in doing so and surely the players suffer from the constant changing too.
Foley will be 10
Beale will be 12
Folau will be 14 or 15
DHP will be 14 or 15
Kerevi will be 13

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I guess they parctice the contact side of the game as we are perfect at all the other skills like passing, catching and kicking;)

Starting to look to me that this is the attitude that Cheika is sprouting on about. Being willing to put the body on the line at training, and a certain starting spot for anyone who can put another player out with injury.

Good thing George Smith doesn't have to contend with Cheika's "attitude at training is the only thing that counts" ethos.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You've overlooked the point that unless To'omua scores three tries, sets up another three and kicks 8 goals and a couple of field goals, Foley will play next week.
Possibly. Having someone ultra creative like Beale at 12 bodes well for a solid option at 10 like To'omua. Foley is also creative but not as much of a threat.
To'omua/Beale/Kerevi might be very good?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Possibly. Having someone ultra creative like Beale at 12 bodes well for a solid option at 10 like To'omua. Foley is also creative but not as much of a threat.
To'omua/Beale/Kerevi might be very good?

At least it would allow for an apples v apples comparison.

The larger issue being that since RWC 2015 there has been no real attempt to give any player a real shot at 10 other than Foley. Now, I'm not one of the Foley haters, but his game has some positives it also has some shortcomings. So basically we're in exactly the same position as we are 4 years ago in regards to the role of 5/8 because nobody else has the chance to prove themselves beyond a token appearance here and there or coming on from the bench.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Well, I don't think our backs made a line break last week, so possibly our opposition don't need to spend too much time devising defensive strategies.;)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am going to be optimistic and expect Foley to front up ok in the 12 spot. He has shown glimpses of good execution in the past when receiving the ball from Beale when he Foley was in the outside spot. So, unless he does cramp To'omua for room as some on here fear, then I am hopeful that To'omua/Foley at 10/12 will work ok. I also back To'omua to put wide, cut out passes on Kerevi's chest when needed.

Despite misgivings about Foley, I much prefer to see him there than Beale who I think has been consistently the poorest performer in a very average Wallabies side for most of the year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a shame this game is on at 1am, because I'm probably going to hate-watch it.......... and I'd much prefer to see the IRE v AB's match and there's no way I'm going to be conscious at 6am.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’m a little nervous about it BR but as I’ve made clear I completely understand the selection. Cooper and Foley whilst not like for like are both pretty creative players and were probably guilty of crowding each other to an extent. Regardless of who was most at fault in those instances, and I’m happy to assume it was foley, To'omua is a much more direct runner and I’m hoping they will complement each other quite well, and no doubt they will switch around a bit. Similarly, when Beale comes on, To'omua doing the straight running and leaving the creativity to him may also work out ok. I’m more hopeful than optimistic but I’m hoping we can nail down something that works for next week.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Both training injuries. WTF is Cheika trying to do? We seem to suffer a whole lot more injuries in training than we do in the games proper.

The following comment is for information only and is not pro or anti Cheika:

In 2014 I attended one of the Waratah training sessions on the ground outside the SFS. Just a single session so I can't know whether and how many sessions during the week were the same. It ran for under an hour and consisted of three sections: About 20 minutes of contact drills (1-1, 1-2, 2-3), a short skills session (forwards - scrums and lineouts, backs - passing drills) and then about 20 minutes of full teams' opposed training. The intensity was 100% game pace. I'd never been to a training session before and the intensity surprised me. Maybe it is typical for all Super teams, I don't know.

My point is that this is the way Cheika always trains teams. High intensity, short duration. Having watched it my surprise is that there are not more training injuries. I came away thinking that elite sports training is tough, very tough. In my amateur sporting days I never trained with that much intensity - probably why I never went further than amateur lower grades.

As an aside. It was only a couple of games into the season and I saw this Islander back I didn't recognise, absolutely smoke his opponents in the drills over and over. A couple of games later he made the team and Alofa Alofa made his way into NSW rugby history. You could see on the training paddock that he had something special.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Petatia and Arnold just didn't have enough enthusiasm for this game.......

Arnold was probably on the wrong end of one of those boat ropes that snapped and hit him in the eye.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
I’m wondering if To'omua is being set up here a little... starting fly half but with a novice scrum half along with multi random team changes... you just gotta wonder about what is going through Cheika’s mind at times... Is this just another foxhole for the coach to hide in? if it all goes sideways...

pity ARNOLD got injured during trading but sure these guys really need to take each other out during mid a week skills sessions... any go the Wallabies

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This ref is too quick on the whistle......... cost Italy a try and then blew too quickly when they got the knock on turnover.

Reactions: mst

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
What do the wallabies actually do at training?

It certainly isn't any kind of teamwork or drills judging by what they are doing on the field at the moment.

have they even met each other before the match today?

Status
Not open for further replies.