• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It's not.

The last time Cheika ran Foley at 12 he crowded the 10, and in some instances interfered with the 10 and it was around kinds of shit.

You have called it whinging, accused people of provincial bias (LOL I'm not even from canberra and the brumbies are my least favourite team in Australia) but not provided any meaningful discussion to any points that anyone else has raised - you even suggested that Cheika must have been misquoted or taken out of context and *surely* he must mean something other than what he actually said.

Give me an example of where Foley has played well at 12 please, then you can use the phrase "a decent run at 10" for To'omua.

You are completely missing the point. I'm not claiming Foley is a great 12, I'm saying if you play our best 12 at 10, and you want to bench the incumbent, and the only other viable option has to play at 13, then you need to compromise on who plays at 12 outside the 'actual 12' playing at 10. I'm saying To'omua is a 12, but I don't have a problem with him having a run at 10 and given the circumstances it's a proper run and he'll get a chance to show his wares.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Get your facts right KOB if you want to have a shot at the Brumbies' fans. It is not just Brumbies' fans calling for To'omua to get a shot at No 10 - it is just about everybody outside the boundaries of Sydney, and quite a few from inside.

Do you even realise that To'omua is not a Brumby?

I get it that as a Tahs fan you will be banking on the backline playing to shit so you can continue the myth of Foley being the one and only No 10 in the country. Foley, at best, is only half a No 10 and not the best at that.

I don't want to ignore BR completely because I do value his input, plus his anti-Waratahs stance is funny, plus he's fun to wind up. But I do wish there was an 'ignore post' button sometimes.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
You are completely missing the point. I'm not claiming Foley is a great 12, I'm saying if you play our best 12 at 10, and you want to bench the incumbent, and the only other viable option has to play at 13, then you need to compromise on who plays at 12 outside the 'actual 12' playing at 10. I'm saying To'omua is a 12, but I don't have a problem with him having a run at 10 and given the circumstances it's a proper run and he'll get a chance to show his wares.

You are completely missing the point - that part of your statement is wrong.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You are completely missing the point - that part of your statement is wrong.

No that's an opinion, not missing the point. Look, the best test would be to play an in form Beale outside him. Maybe playing an out of form Beale outside him is actually the best test anyway because Foley's had to put up with that as well. By the sounds of it that will happen anyway, although I reckon Beale's best impact is from the bench so To'omua may actually benefit.

Let's adjourn this debate till after the game, I hope To'omua and Foley both play well, I prefer the combination the other way around with Beale off the bench. I just don't think having Foley outside him will be any worse than the other options (of which there are none) for To'omua.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Petaia and Arnold both out injured. Replaced by Koro and Simmons

Petaia has a slight hammy strain and Arnold a slight fractured eye socket

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Insane we went on tour with one 12 and no 8s.

Cheik should be sacked for that selection mix alone.

Well that's not entirely true - #12 we have Beale and To'omua, and Kerevi the emergency cover. #8 yes there are no 8's from the Supe teams that are match ready, but we have Valentini as a development player and Naisarani who is ineligible but obviously on the radar for when he is, and Pocock and Dempsey can both play there more than adequately.

In both instances who has been left out that you would have taken?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Interestingly, Foley has started more tests at centre than To'omua has a five eight!
5 v 2

Yes yes we all get that To'omua can be a good 12. We're talking about giving a decent 10 a run against a scenario where there has been nil depth building.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Was sticking to strict 8's there but also would've seen Cottrell in the squad before Hanigan, possibly Phillip to fill Tui's boots if he's fit. Literally any player who could give us size and menace in the back row, instead of more of the same.

Yeah, I stretched the criteria, though with the Pooper I think we should.

To be fair, I don't mind Dempsey, and Hanigan is not the pariah he is made out to be. Young yes, growing yes.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, I stretched the criteria, though with the Pooper I think we should.

To be fair, I don't mind Dempsey, and Hanigan is not the pariah he is made out to be. Young yes, growing yes.

There is potential in Hanigan, but what he needs more than anything is an off season to bulk up and to be made to fight for the position.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
did the chiekmesiter consider running Old Man Ashley at 12?, with him at 12, To'omua can focus more on playmaking than defending..Kerevi at 13, this was the best game to test combinations, wasted opportunity. Hope AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has a good game cause they may need a defending 13 cover come the big game next week. also missed opportunity on have Valetini on bench, another good time to try out a new dynamic player at 6/8, wobblies won't be playing any more weaker teams until the RWC..

Status
Not open for further replies.