• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Let's face it, we have got huge problems at 10/12. Lots of other problems too, but this area is our biggest single area of weakness.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
11. Jordan Petaia*

14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (116 Tests)

15. Israel Folau (71 Tests)

Bloody glad Petaia is starting. But why pick AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who's there for his experience in a position where he'll have little to no ability to help guide the less experienced?

In any event, with that back three, you've got 1 guy who can kick....somewhat and then Foley who's got a pop-gun kick. The Italians will be licking their lips with this back three and a misfiring lineout and just play for territory.

I would have much preferred either Banks or DHP at 15 and Izzy to the wing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, Banks is the one I feel for. In saying that I don't think his form has been has hot as last year at least but he deserves a shot ahead of both the teenager and the veteran I reckon.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'm just thinking back to the Chiefs and Brumbies match where Banks ran 200m+ and ran down McKenzie with a 10m start. I just don't understand how he's been consistently ignored by Cheika this whole season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Bloody glad Petaia is starting. But why pick AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who's there for his experience in a position where he'll have little to no ability to help guide the less experienced?

In any event, with that back three, you've got 1 guy who can kick..somewhat and then Foley who's got a pop-gun kick. The Italians will be licking their lips with this back three and a misfiring lineout and just play for territory.

I would have much preferred either Banks or DHP at 15 and Izzy to the wing.

The only reason I can think of is his defense

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Maybe the selection peeps are thinking that if they screw Banks around long enough he will just leave the country and play overseas, thereby making the selection process easier for themselves.

Yeah that'd be it. Great post. :rolleyes:

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's as valid as the ridiculously long bows being drawn this year in attempts to justify what Cheika and co are doing.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
i.e. give To'omua a decent run, and rest/bench a few of the recent under-performers.

I'll engage that discussion - explain how making To'omua play 10 alongside a player who is not a 12 can be called "a decent run".

The last time I watched Foley play 12 at international level he crowded the fuck out of Quade Cooper - and actually got in his way on several occasions.

Give me specific examples where Foley has demonstrated that he is a capable 12 thereby indicating this will be giving To'omua a "decent run" in the 10 position.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm just thinking back to the Chiefs and Brumbies match where Banks ran 200m+ and ran down McKenzie with a 10m start. I just don't understand how he's been consistently ignored by Cheika this whole season.

I’m fairly certain he then got up and made another potential try saving tackle immediately afterwards..........

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'll engage that discussion - explain how making To'omua play 10 alongside a player who is not a 12 can be called "a decent run".

The last time I watched Foley play 12 at international level he crowded the fuck out of Quade Cooper - and actually got in his way on several occasions.

Give me specific examples where Foley has demonstrated that he is a capable 12 thereby indicating this will be giving To'omua a "decent run" in the 10 position.

Sounds like he'll get the whole game. There will be a lot of times when Foley and To'omua are a side each.

Cheika said he had long been hoping to play To'omua at 10 at some point this season, a desire the playmaker himself has been open about, but the more difficult decision was the call between Beale and Foley.
"I wanted to give them all an opportunity to play there and Beale's had his opportunity and Foley’s had his. Now To’omua will get his opportunity to play there," he said.
"It was just a question of what I decided to do - whether I went with Beale alongside him or Foley or whether we decided to go with this combo initially.
"With Beale on the bench, he’ll get his opportunity out there as well."

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Oh yeah because beale needs an opportunity to prove himself?? Just fucken weird cheiks.

And picking a geriatric out of a Japanese retirement home over giving a lightning Banks an 'opportunity'.

If i was castle id sack cheika right now. A day before the match on this idiocy

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sounds like he'll get the whole game. There will be a lot of times when Foley and To'omua are a side each.

Cheika said he had long been hoping to play To'omua at 10 at some point this season, a desire the playmaker himself has been open about, but the more difficult decision was the call between Beale and Foley.
"I wanted to give them all an opportunity to play there and Beale's had his opportunity and Foley’s had his. Now To’omua will get his opportunity to play there," he said.
"It was just a question of what I decided to do - whether I went with Beale alongside him or Foley or whether we decided to go with this combo initially.
"With Beale on the bench, he’ll get his opportunity out there as well."
So we agree then...

Not a decent run at all.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So we agree then.

Not a decent run at all.

I personally think his best opportunity for a 'decent run' is at 12 with Foley at 10, but he wanted a run at 10. The way Kurtley has been playing he's probably better off having Foley outside him than KB (Kurtley Beale). What I was inferring though is that often either of Kerevi or Folau will be outside him so he'll get his chances.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Oh yeah because beale needs an opportunity to prove himself?? Just fucken weird cheiks.

I think he's either been misquoted or mixed up his words - clearly what he's trying to say is that To'omua will get an opportunity with both of Foley and Beale playing at 12.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

IMO he’s a better 12 &, despite all the concerns re Foley, he & To'omua (with Foley at 10) works better than To'omua & Beale at the present IMO.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That’s what I’ve been getting out. This Brumbies lot have been crying out for him to get a run at 10, now he is against the lowest ranked team we play all year, but it’s not a proper opportunity because our 12s are shit. That’s because he’s the not shit 12!

Status
Not open for further replies.