• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That’s what I’ve been getting out. This Brumbies lot have been crying out for him to get a run at 10, now he is against the lowest ranked team we play all year, but it’s not a proper opportunity because our 12s are shit. That’s because he’s the not shit 12!

I don't think any of that is true.........

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’d be surprised if too many people here think that if Foley & To'omua are playing together that Foley should be in 12.

I don’t mind FPs suggestion of 10. To'omua 12. Kerevi 13. Petaia & 15. Foley but I figure that experiment at this time probably serves no purpose as I don’t think that resembles in any way the likely team for England.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’d be surprised if too many people here think that if Foley & To'omua are playing together that Foley should be in 12.

I don’t mind FPs suggestion of 10. To'omua 12. Kerevi 13. Petaia & 15. Foley but I figure that experiment at this time probably serves no purpose as I don’t think that resembles in any way the likely team for England.

Agreed. I think the key is Kerevi. Under normal circumstances he'd probably be the 12 in this game but he needs the time at 13 prior to the England game and it's less disruptive to his preparation.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We need to get across the paint better against Italy, we’ve struggled to score tries this year. Part of it is blowing too many line breaks by pushing the pass. I hope Cheika’s key directive is to slow everything down if we make a line break, we don’t have to score the phase after.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We need to get across the paint better against Italy, we’ve struggled to score tries this year. Part of it is blowing too many line breaks by pushing the pass. I hope Cheika’s key directive is to slow everything down if we make a line break, we don’t have to score the phase after.

I think it's mostly due to the 1-3-3-1, or at least the way that the pod system is applied. Fail to break the gain line then Foley gets deep and Beale gets desperate.

The second issue is the lineout which means a kicking game may not work to our benefit but does work to the opposition's benefit.

I don't mind the pushed pass. The boys need to back themselves and one advantage of the Pooper should be turnover ball. Let's see if guys like Kerevi, Pataia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) have a chance to break gain line as the forward are not going forward.

Against the Azzuri the pod system as it is should be less dominated. Let's see how it goes.

B

Bobby Sands

Agreed. I think the key is Kerevi. Under normal circumstances he'd probably be the 12 in this game but he needs the time at 13 prior to the England game and it's less disruptive to his preparation.

I think people overestimate his ability/comfort at 12. As much as I like the idea of it, he just isn't really a 12.

At either position, he needs to work on his ball-playing or at least on his ability to create space/opportunity for others.

The most important thing he does currently is win contact from static ball. A rare trait. But he if could just become a bit more well-rounded he could be a champion.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He’s not a play maker 12, hence the need to have someone like Foley at 15 rather than Folau or Banks.

It would be a departure from our current game strategy but I personally feel it would be workable - and I don’t think I’m overestimating him or expecting from him skills he doesn’t have.

It is a moot point though.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think it's mostly due to the 1-3-3-1, or at least the way that the pod system is applied. Fail to break the gain line then Foley gets deep and Beale gets desperate.

The second issue is the lineout which means a kicking game may not work to our benefit but does work to the opposition's benefit.

I don't mind the pushed pass. The boys need to back themselves and one advantage of the Pooper should be turnover ball. Let's see if guys like Kerevi, Pataia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) have a chance to break gain line as the forward are not going forward.

Against the Azzuri the pod system as it is should be less dominated. Let's see how it goes.

I don't mind rolling the dice on occasion if nothing is on but I think too many times we make a linebreak and try a 1/100 offload when there's an opportunity to recycle and go again. Agree with the pod system breaking down and the lineout failures.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't mind rolling the dice on occasion if nothing is on but I think too many times we make a linebreak and try a 1/100 offload when there's an opportunity to recycle and go again. Agree with the pod system breaking down and the lineout failures.

I felt some skills shown last week were silky and worth pushing again. I’m not really a fan of percentage rugby and prefer the teams I support to be prepared to take risk. Yes it has to be done behind a strategy that achieves a backbone to the game. But we’re here to play, so play!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That’s what I’ve been getting out. This Brumbies lot have been crying out for him to get a run at 10, now he is against the lowest ranked team we play all year, but it’s not a proper opportunity because our 12s are shit. That’s because he’s the not shit 12!

Get your facts right KOB if you want to have a shot at the Brumbies' fans. It is not just Brumbies' fans calling for To'omua to get a shot at No 10 - it is just about everybody outside the boundaries of Sydney, and quite a few from inside.

Do you even realise that To'omua is not a Brumby?

I get it that as a Tahs fan you will be banking on the backline playing to shit so you can continue the myth of Foley being the one and only No 10 in the country. Foley, at best, is only half a No 10 and not the best at that.

B

Bobby Sands

Get your facts right KOB if you want to have a shot at the Brumbies' fans. It is not just Brumbies' fans calling for To'omua to get a shot at No 10 - it is just about everybody outside the boundaries of Sydney, and quite a few from inside.

Do you even realise that To'omua is not a Brumby?

I get it that as a Tahs fan you will be banking on the backline playing to shit so you can continue the myth of Foley being the one and only No 10 in the country. Foley, at best, is only half a No 10 and not the best at that.

I am 100% calling for To'omua to play 10.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I think KOBs point is, is Foley at 10 & To'omua at 12 > To'omua at 10 and ? at 12.

All our other 12s are shit at the moment

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Foley at 12 is bad enough but I just cannot get over the selection of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing ahead of Bank or Maddocks. That is disgraceful. These guys have played super rugby and been screwed around all year, get 10 minutes off the bench at the end of a game if they are lucky and now they get an opportunity to start a match and he gives the game to a washed up has been who nobody even knows what his form has been like. That one selection should be enough justification to be sacked if it doesn't work somehow.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think KOBs point is, is Foley at 10 & To'omua at 12 > To'omua at 10 and ? at 12.

Beale at 12 is the only solution? And being shit hardly is limited to 12. Fewer options at 10 than 12 i think

Still try Kerevi to 12, I'd look to Beale at 15 but that's me. And I doubt it's the only solution. Going forward I'm very interested in Quade 10 To'omua 12 at the Rebels. Could be kak for the Rebels let alone higher honours but who knows.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

That''s exactly what I'm getting at. I have no problem at all with To'omua getting a run at 10, it's the whingeing that it's not a proper run because it's not an 'actual' 12 playing outside him.
Beale at 12 is the only solution? And being shit hardly is limited to 12. Fewer options at 10 than 12 i think

Still try Kerevi to 12, I'd look to Beale at 15 but that's me. And I doubt it's the only solution. Going forward I'm very interested in Quade 10 To'omua 12 at the Rebels. Could be kak for the Rebels let alone higher honours but who knows.

I don't mind playing Kerevi at 12 in this instance either, but the problem is he needs the hitout at 13, not 12, ahead of the test against England. So if you apply that rationale and you want to bench Beale, then who else?

I doubt it's going to be a disastrous experiment against Italy, and I think we'll see the 10 & 12 switch around a bit. It's really probably (hopefully) a test of the Foley/To'omua combination but allowing To'omua to steer the ship and getting them used to each other ahead of next weekend.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
That''s exactly what I'm getting at. I have no problem at all with To'omua getting a run at 10, it's the whingeing that it's not a proper run because it's not an 'actual' 12 playing outside him.

It's not.

The last time Cheika ran Foley at 12 he crowded the 10, and in some instances interfered with the 10 and it was around kinds of shit.

You have called it whinging, accused people of provincial bias (LOL I'm not even from canberra and the brumbies are my least favourite team in Australia) but not provided any meaningful discussion to any points that anyone else has raised - you even suggested that Cheika must have been misquoted or taken out of context and *surely* he must mean something other than what he actually said.

Give me an example of where Foley has played well at 12 please, then you can use the phrase "a decent run at 10" for To'omua.

Status
Not open for further replies.