• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Wales, Sunday Dec 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hah. That is hilarious.

To be fair though, I'd love to go to the US Masters. That is one of my favourite sporting events to watch.

Tour de France and FIFA World Cup are definitely the two things I've never been to that are top of my list.

Brazil 2014 for the FIFA World Cup is on the agenda.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was thinking about buying a copy of The Code for my girlfriend for Christmas.... and then spending the rest of the year in the doghouse...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From SMH:

Tatafu Polota-Nau is also in line to hold onto the starting hooking spot, despite intense competition from Stephen Moore.

I didn't realise Moore needed to compete from the starting spot?

I thought it was pretty obvious from an infinite amount of test performances that Moore is our starting hooker.

But I guess this is really nothing more than a lazy assessment from the journalist of Deans' selections for this tour...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
From SMH:
I didn't realise Moore needed to compete from the starting spot?

I thought it was pretty obvious from an infinite amount of test performances that Moore is our starting hooker.

But I guess this is really nothing more than a lazy assessment from the journalist of Deans' selections for this tour...

There's no doubt that, since TPN's performances started to deteriorate about halfway through the Super season, Moore has clearly been our number one hooker. This is yet another example of how poor the SMH journalists are at rugby. Maybe they select them for their ability to pump out stories quickly, or their lyrical English prose perhaps but definitely not for their knowledge and analysis of rugby.

Even though Moore came on as a sub in the BB's game when most of the BB's had turned off it was clear from his performance vs TPN's that he was numero uno. The great thing was that TPN looked a whole lot better than he did at the WC, but he's got a way to go to get back to his early 2011 form.

T

TOCC

Hah. That is hilarious.

To be fair though, I'd love to go to the US Masters. That is one of my favourite sporting events to watch.

Tour de France and FIFA World Cup are definitely the two things I've never been to that are top of my list.

Brazil 2014 for the FIFA World Cup is on the agenda.

I was at the 2011 Masters... A truly unique sporting event

T

TOCC

I don't think he has been overly disappointing, he hasn't had the opportunity however to build some consistency and form

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This is a massive match for both teams really. Given the support they were getting during the RWC, the Welsh will be out to repay their fans, not to mention the added drama of it being Williams last match.

But the Wallabies also have a great opportunity to string a decent number of consecutive wins together. 2 wins down now, and next 5 test matches are 4 v Wales and 1v Scotland so all very winnable. But if they don't get fired right up for Saturday they will get spanked.

Can Deans actually get them up for it with a good gameplan though? Don't want to see a repeat of anything like our RWC efforts v Ireland.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Welsh team announced. Pretty ordinary that Phillips and Hook haven't been released to play.

Wales make changes for Australia re-match November 30, 2011 - 12:29AM

AFP

Wales coach Warren Gatland has made six changes to his team for the one-off Test against Australia at the Millennium Stadium.

Saturday's international is a repeat of the World Cup third place playoff match and is set to mark the final Test for Shane Williams, Wales's record try-scorer with 57 in 86 appearances, before the 34-year-old wing's retirement from international rugby.

Sam Warburton, who missed the 21-18 defeat by the Wallabies in Auckland last month after being sent off during Wales's World Cup semi-final loss to France, returns to captain the side at openside flanker.

There are also starts for centre Scott Williams, half-backs Rhys Priestland and Lloyd Williams, plus lock Ian Evans and prop Scott Andrews.

Injuries have ruled out centre Jonathan Davies, lock Alun Wyn Jones and props Paul James and Adam Jones.

Backs James Hook and Mike Phillips are unavailable because, as this match falls outside the International Rugby Board's approved window for Tests, they have not been released by their respective French clubs Perpignan and Bayonne.

Wales coach Warren Gatland said this weekend's match would be an ideal way for Williams, who will continue to play for Welsh club side the Ospreys, to bow out of Test rugby.

"It does not often happen in professional sport that a player gets the opportunity to call time on his international career, then play one last match like this one in front of his home fans and the people he has given so much joy and entertainment to," Gatland said.

"Saturday is a great opportunity for the fans to show Shane what he has meant to them and we all hope to send him off on the right note," he added.

However, the New Zealander was also keen to stress the value of the match as a means of helping Wales prepare for the future.

"As we remember the highs and lows of New Zealand and the World Cup, the focus must now be to build for the next four years, the immediate future of the 6 Nations next year and towards the 2015 World Cup," Gatland said.

"Players like Scott Andrews, Ian Evans and Lloyd Williams (have) an immediate opportunity to impress and also the likes of Justin Tipuric, Dan Biggar and Alex Cuthbert with a chance from the bench."

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Scott Williams, Jamie Roberts, Shane Williams, Rhys Priestland, Lloyd Williams; Toby Faletua, Sam Warburton (capt), Dan Lydiate; Ian Evans, Bradley Davies; Scott Andrews, Huw Bennett, Gethin Jenkins. Res: Matthew Rees, Ryan Bevington, Ryan Jones, Justin Tipuric, Tavis Knoyle, Dan Biggar, Alex Cuthbert.

© 2011 AFP

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Welsh team announced. Pretty ordinary that Phillips and Hook haven't been released to play.

It is, but it would decrease their pay if they wrote clauses into their contract accounting for their situation.

Chateaus just don't come as cheap as they used to.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why on earth should the French clubs release them??

It's like asking Toulouse to allow Burgess to play for us.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
Not a bad team for Wales. Considering a handful out through unavailabilty and injury then it is still good quality. Backs won't overly miss Phillips or Hook. Good to see Scott Williams linking up with Roberts. Both first choice locks out is a loss and also down to 3rd choice tighthead but there is a bit of strength in depth now. Hope Cuthbert gets a bit of game time.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've seen a bit of Cuthbert, like North tall and big with pace. He's got to control his offloads but he's going to cause havoc in a few years.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
WELSH TEAM

1 Gethin Jenkins............................................3 Scot Andrews, we must have someone better than him, cant scrumage the aussie front row will murder us

2 Huw Bennett
4 Bradly Davies...................................5 Ian Evans, both our second rows injured, Evans made quite a mark on his arrival to Welsh rugby, but has not shown anything for some time.

6 Dan Lydiate ................. 8 Toby Faletau .........................7 Sam Warburton

9 Lloyd Williams........................10 Rhys Preistland

12 Jamie Roberts.............................................. 13 Scott Williams

11 Shane,................................15 Leigh Halfpenny............................. 14 George North

couple of players out, important ones too, Weakness is our front row and several players havent (played because of injury) for 3-4 weeks, But I think they'll make a game of it.
If they should win then I for one will be impressed, Looking forward to it, As Max boyce once said I'll be there.:yay Go Wales

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Getting your excuses in early hey? No international team is ever at full strength...

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
There's no doubt that, since TPN's performances started to deteriorate about halfway through the Super season, Moore has clearly been our number one hooker. This is yet another example of how poor the SMH journalists are at rugby. Maybe they select them for their ability to pump out stories quickly, or their lyrical English prose perhaps but definitely not for their knowledge and analysis of rugby.

Even though Moore came on as a sub in the BB's game when most of the BB's had turned off it was clear from his performance vs TPN's that he was numero uno. The great thing was that TPN looked a whole lot better than he did at the WC, but he's got a way to go to get back to his early 2011 form.

I have to agree. However i feel that this is due to the injuries he sustained. His form prior to this was to put it in one term 'freaky' Moore has been solid and whilst not a defestating runner of the football i always feel confident he will get over the advantage line and get the ball back no problem.

Having two hookers of this standard is a good problem to have,.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Damn, I was really hoping we'd see Les Murray and Craig Foster doing the presentation with Phil Liggett doing the commentary.

Lee Lin Chin as the sideline commentator? Might distract the players though...

Status
Not open for further replies.