• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Volavola at 15 and Falou to the wing. I don't understand why they don't use a cross filed kick for Issy. He would be close to unstoppable in my eyes.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Volavola at 15 and Falou to the wing. I don't understand why they don't use a cross filed kick for Issy. He would be close to unstoppable in my eyes.
Falou has got talent, and the more he plays the better he will get, I'd send him back to the Shute Shield as soon as it starts and let him hone the skills, experiment, test his thoughts and build confidence.
People may question this thought, approach, note it is not a dropping it is just a method of providing / putting Izzy in a place were he can experiment and test things and I think this called benefit the Tahs in the long run. Say 4 games maybe all it needs.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Falou has got talent, and the more he plays the better he will get, I'd send him back to the Shute Shield as soon as it starts and let him hone the skills, experiment, test his thoughts and build confidence.
People may question this thought, approach, note it is not a dropping it is just a method of providing / putting Izzy in a place were he can experiment and test things and I think this called benefit the Tahs in the long run. Say 4 games maybe all it needs.
I'm not against this in theory but by the time the Shute Shield starts, at the rate he is progressing, he will learn more quickly at this level.
There may be something of a false dawn in that the Rebels are, with respect, not a patch on the reds - but the Rebels had 2 blokes who could have found Izzy out in relation to positional play (JOC (James O'Connor) & KB (Kurtley Beale)), particularly in the first half, and they didn't.
So I'd give him a steady as she goes marking.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm not against this in theory but by the time the Shute Shield starts, at the rate he is progressing, he will learn more quickly at this level.
There may be something of a false dawn in that the Rebels are, with respect, not a patch on the reds - but the Rebels had 2 blokes who could have found Izzy out in relation to positional play (JOC (James O'Connor) & KB (Kurtley Beale)), particularly in the first half, and they didn't.
So I'd give him a steady as she goes marking.
IS I didn't say stop him paying, he needs game time so I'd like to see him play every week. When the Shute starts I'd like to see him have a run in club land to test, experiment, and build confidence with a little Extra time.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He can stand behind Carter. Or they can get him to do some boxing, that seems to be a good method of improving defence.
pfft, Boxing will do nothing to improve his defence.
Put him in a Reds jumper,and get some outsiders to criticise him.
Missed tackles become clever tactics that attempt isolate the ball carrier.
Problem solved.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS I didn't say stop him paying, he needs game time so I'd like to see him play every week. When the Shute starts I'd like to see him have a run in club land to test, experiment, and build confidence with a little Extra time.
I know - by the time SS is an option he'll be carving at s15 level

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Really? I smell a Brumbies rat.
Me, biased? Never! I only hope for the best when I say you should start Tilse, Ulugia and Ryan as your front row!
But in all seriousness, Lucas with Foley helped the backs attack way more than McKibbin with Foley. If Foley gets the BMT to be able to land big kicks I suspect McKibbin's days as the starting 9 are numbered.
Lucas can only play if Barnes is fit. We need McKibben there for his kicking if BB can't get back.
I don't think Foley is a bad kicker, but I agree that he doesn't have the BMT you need as a kicker if the kick decides the game, which I suspect it will in Canberra.

Reactions: mjw

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Where will he play in defence?
His tackling is worse than QC (Quade Cooper)'s ever was.

Given how bad Cooper's defence was, and its not all that much better now, I think this is a massive over-exaggeration. Volavola is very young and he just needs to grow into the role with good coaching and develop physically a bit more.

But what was clear this week is that right now he is much more comfortable at fullback than elsewhere. And why wouldn't he be. He's played most of his schools/under 20's career at 12 and played all last year at 15 in Shute. He seems to work better with the extra space at the back, both last week and this he has run well into holes once he has accelerated to top speed. For better or for worse, Barnes has to be the back-up 10 once he is fit. Problem is that early last week Barnes was not running freely at all and looked weeks away. There are noises coming out that he might be back this week but I hope not. Where knees are concerned, miraculous recoveries that don't lead to further injury are rare, very rare. The Tahs needed Saifoloi or Angus as the EPS 10 but chose a recovering Lane instead and that did not go well. Picking a journeyman as his replacement was an even worse decision.

Overall, the aspect of team management that has gone most wrong is squad recruitment. I think Folau was a good buy, but with Turner, Betham, Crawford and Hodge all lined up to have a run but unlikely to get one without a form slump or injury its a real waste of precious squad positions. Recruiting a shed-load of outside backs at the expense of backrowers and fly-halves has left us praying that Foley doesn't get injured until Barnes has recovered.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Given how bad Cooper's defence was, and its not all that much better now, I think this is a massive over-exaggeration.

Over the years I've found that calling something a "massive over exaggeration" is usually an exaggeration, at best.

Cooper's defence has certainly improved over the years and, based on what I have seen of him this year, has improved vastly from last year to this.

Volavola is very young and he just needs to grow into the role with good coaching and develop physically a bit more.

I totally agree.
He has made huge strides in the 3 games I have seen this season - but not in defence.
I fear that he lacks the will to tackle based on the small amount of him that I have seen.
There is no need to rush him.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
He's played most of his schools/under 20's career at 12 and played all last year at 15 in Shute. He seems to work better with the extra space at the back, both last week and this he has run well into holes once he has accelerated to top speed.

I don't recall ever seeing Volavola play 12 during his junior representative years, more of a 10/15. Also why do people think we should replace Lane with another 10 ? We already have three options Foley, Barnes and Volavola. If Barnes decides to leave super rugby and head overseas the Tahs should make a play for Kurtley Beale that way we still have two very young developing 10/15s and someone with experience who can steady the ship.

Imo we need an injection of youth into our forward pack.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't recall ever seeing Volavola play 12 during his junior representative years, more of a 10/15. Also why do people think we should replace Lane with another 10 ? We already have three options Foley, Barnes and Volavola. If Barnes decides to leave super rugby and head overseas the Tahs should make a play for Kurtley Beale that way we still have two very young developing 10/15s and someone with experience who can steady the ship.

Imo we need an injection of youth into our forward pack.

I thought he played in the Under 20 world cup at 12, though I may be wrong on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.