• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Abysmal? Do tell. He certainly didn't stand out, but abysmal is a big call for a young player in a JWC.

I guess there were lots of dropped balls, missed tackles and passes into touch that somehow didn't make YouTube.

He put in a shithouse performance, but nearly everyone in that team did as well. When you look at how some of them (Godwin, Browning, CFS, Volavola, Lucas) have come on since the JWC you have to ask yourself maybe the teams performance had more to do with the coaching, selections and gameplan.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He put in a shithouse performance, but nearly everyone in that team did as well. When you look at how some of them (Godwin, Browning, CFS, Volavola, Lucas) have come on since the JWC you have to ask yourself maybe the teams performance had more to do with the coaching, selections and gameplan.

Maybe!? The fact that the team was full of players who are now very able at Super rugby level only 1-2 years after tells you everything you need to know.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Here are the Stats for Fridays game
http://www.rugbystats.com.au/matches/rugby/match21051.html

Hooper & Dennis did a shit load of work and Carter topped the tackle count with 19 effective, also worth noting is the amount of ball getting out wide. The backs are getting lots of carries

I would be surprised to see Barnes start on Saturday, I would start him off the bench

So if that is the case, does Volavola start at 15 and Kingston gets dropped? Assuming a 5/2 split and Barnes being a bench it means whoever is dropped (say Kingston) falls out of the squad.
Havent seen that before - which Uni do I have to attend to learn how to read it?
Tahs had about 2/3 of their phases in the 2nd half. Rebels about even.
Rebels spent more time in the Tahs 22 in the 2nd half than the first.

Carter 12 runs against the reds AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 2; Rebels Carter 7 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 11.
You can see the change in the plan in those numbers alone.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
After three rounds, the HSBC Waratahs are averaging per game: 18 offloads (first overall of all Super Rugby teams), 155 passes (second), 33 broken or evaded tackles (third) and 9 line-breaks (second), but they also lead the table for conceding turnovers, averaging 26 per game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
qwerty51 - those stats are very positive. If we can maintain that and improve the execution we could be in a really good spot

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Richo

John Thornett (49)
As long as turnovers drop due to better execution not less initiative, the Tahs should see a marked improvement o et the season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r-of-mass-exodus/story-fn8ti7yn-1226590269343

Don't know if this has been touched on. Are Waratahs fans worried by this situation? 80% of the players not signed for the future.

It's being discussed in the Waratahs 2014 thread which has just been created.

I think most Tahs fans are pretty certain we will lose some of our experienced players but unless we have another debacle of a season we should hang on to plenty of them too. It's not like most rugby players are looking for excuses to move to another team or overseas. Particularly those who've been here for a long while or grew up here have a lot of ties to Sydney.

Priorities to retain should be Benn Robinson, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Kane Douglas, Lopeti Timani, Bernard Foley, Ben Volavola, Tom Kingston, Matt Lucas and possibly Peter Betham.

It is hard to see us retaining Barnes, Ashley-Cooper, Mitchell, Kepu and Palu. Some of them at least will head overseas. Sekope Kepu is probably the most likely to be retained as he'll be eyeing a 2015 RWC spot. Sita Timani may depend on how much Wallaby money he is likely to get.

M

Muttonbird

It's being discussed in the Waratahs 2014 thread which has just been created.

I think most Tahs fans are pretty certain we will lose some of our experienced players but unless we have another debacle of a season we should hang on to plenty of them too. It's not like most rugby players are looking for excuses to move to another team or overseas. Particularly those who've been here for a long while or grew up here have a lot of ties to Sydney.

Priorities to retain should be Benn Robinson, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Kane Douglas, Lopeti Timani, Bernard Foley, Ben Volavola, Tom Kingston, Matt Lucas and possibly Peter Betham.

It is hard to see us retaining Barnes, Ashley-Cooper, Mitchell, Kepu and Palu. Some of them at least will head overseas. Sekope Kepu is probably the most likely to be retained as he'll be eyeing a 2015 RWC spot. Sita Timani may depend on how much Wallaby money he is likely to get.
The 2014 thread? Do you think this might be a part of the Tah's problems? Ie, looking too far ahead?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Spot on. They looked and played like a leaderless legion. They are all better players than they showed in that tournament. Very difficult to judge the true ability of poorly coached players in a poorly coached team. (See also Wallabies)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Players come and go. Systems are far more important. Go ask any subbies club who won a premiership with a XV who played together all year then watched them all get poached by clubs with money.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)

Qwerty - where did you get those stats?

My article tomorrow looks at the offloading element of Tahs game - Tahs definitely on top for offloads across all stats sites but am seeing different numbers to quote.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Qwerty - where did you get those stats?

My article tomorrow looks at the offloading element of Tahs game - Tahs definitely on top for offloads across all stats sites but am seeing different numbers to quote.

The stats were contained in an email sent out to members today.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm pretty sure no-one from the Tahs organisation started the thread. So no.

It never ceases to amaze me that so often what some fans say on the interweb is taken for what a team/organisation is thinking/doing.

AB fan says ABs are going to thrash the Wallabies, translates to ABs being overconfident and lacking respect.

Tahs fan (Neuter ;) ) days Tahs will win Super comp, and when Tahs don't win it the team is tagged as a bunch of overrated, overhyped players.

And the list goes on.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)

I think you are getting your JWC's confused. in 2011 in ITALY , Volavola played, generally at 10. Others in the team were Quirk, Colby, Hooper, Rohan Safoli, Paul Alo, Scott Sio, Luke Jones, Blake Enever, to name a few. they certainly were not a rabble. in 2012 in South Africa, the team was a rabble, but Volavola was not in that team. Players in both years were Lucas, Roach, Gill ( came home from Italy early without playing). New to the U20's in 2012 were Godwin, CFS, Browning

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think you are getting your JWC's confused. in 2011 in ITALY , Volavola played, generally at 10. Others in the team were Quirk, Colby, Hooper, Rohan Safoli, Paul Alo, Scott Sio, Luke Jones, Blake Enever, to name a few. they certainly were not a rabble. in 2012 in South Africa, the team was a rabble, but Volavola was not in that team. Players in both years were Lucas, Roach, Gill ( came home from Italy early without playing). New to the U20's in 2012 were Godwin, CFS, Browning

Team was still a rabble in 2011. Lost to France and got smashed by NZ. For the talent they had they did not perform anywhere near to standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.