• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Wait, I thought rugby in Australia was recruiting too much from the GPS schools....... now we aren't recruiting enough???

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wait, I thought rugby in Australia was recruiting too much from the GPS schools... now we aren't recruiting enough???

I don't that was the point. He was a league junior, who was recruited to a GPS school where he played rugby and when given the choice after school chose league over union. The Waratahs did try to recruit him, they just weren't successful.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wait up fellas, I think I'm being misinterpreted. What I mean is that League teams seem to be recruiting players into paying contracts from ages as young as 17-18 with a minimum yearly salary of $80,000. Rugby Union hasn't nearly enough cash to compete with that which is why athletes like Angus Crighton, Tepai Moeroa and Ta'ane Milne all have Contracts with league clubs. To get a professional Union contract, young talent must brave and impress in Colts and Shute shield before any Teams even notice they exist. I dont care if its GPS, CAS or bloody Penrith high school If there are talented players out there Australian Rugby badly needs depth

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wait up fellas, I think I'm being misinterpreted. What I mean is that League teams seem to be recruiting players into paying contracts from ages as young as 17-18 with a minimum yearly salary of $80,000. Rugby Union hasn't nearly enough cash to compete with that which is why athletes like Angus Crighton, Tepai Moeroa and Ta'ane Milne all have Contracts with league clubs. To get a professional Union contract, young talent must brave and impress in Colts and Shute shield before any Teams even notice they exist. I dont care if its GPS, CAS or bloody Penrith high school If there are talented players out there Australian Rugby badly needs depth

It all comes back to money. There's more money in the NRL for a 19 year old kid than in rugby.

But I agree with your general point.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

That's not entirely true.

Campbell Magnay is fresh out of school and has a contract with the Reds.

I'm not sure if there were any other school leavers signed straight out of high school this year but generally there are a few.

Hooper got a contract straight out of high school a few years ago.

It's true that the best football players straight out of high school are offered more money in the NRL than in rugby union but to say that players must play colts and grade before any super rugby side has a look at them is completely untrue.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
The point is I think, there are 16 odd NRL clubs with feeder teams and U20s who are all staffed by professional players and coaches. Rugby doesn't offer anywhere near the same level of opportunity at a professional level.
If you want to pursue a career as a professional rugby player of either code, you'll always have more opportunity in league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The point is I think, there are 16 odd NRL clubs with feeder teams and U20s who are all staffed by professional players and coaches. Rugby doesn't offer anywhere near the same level of opportunity at a professional level.
If you want to pursue a career as a professional rugby player of either code, you'll always have more opportunity in league

Certainly in the foreseeable future. Rugby has made advances recently, but until public and corporate support for the code grows there will never be enough to compete with other professional football codes in Australia.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wasting your time without the schools competitions being opened up. Development platform not wide enough

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
There's nowhere to go once they've finished school though Pfitzy. League and Afl have a 90 year head start on their professional structures. I'm not sure that rugby will ever catch up in Australia. We'll still have good footy players and might continue to make small gains in the community game - the future of the NRC is a nice addition for development but compared to these other codes we're not even close. It's not a lot different to Rugby pre-1995, pretty much everyone except the Super Rugby squad needs a job with a very understanding boss if you want to get to the next level.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Foo fighters concert during the week after all that rain was one of the reasons the pitch was rubbish, and maybe some mud/dirt was on the balls but with you on the weather, nothing wrong with it at all

I got very irritated with the commentators continually providing excuses for dropped balls. The players were simply trying to do too much too early in the catch-play on process.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I don't that was the point. He was a league junior, who was recruited to a GPS school where he played rugby and when given the choice after school chose league over union. The Waratahs did try to recruit him, they just weren't successful.

That's incorrect he played both club and rep union as well as league before being recruited to newington .

T

TOCC

I'm not sure what the argument is...

Yeah it would have been great if the Tahs had signed him, but they didn't... They were beaten to the punch by an NRL side which was able to offer more both financially and in terms of playing opportunity(Toyota Cup).

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
A league club was paying the school fees of a bloke in my class at a GPS school 25 years ago. I doubt it was a new phenomenon at the time.

If they already have a financial relationship from the time the kid is 15 or 16, there's hardly a lot of incentive for him to change to union when he leaves school, particularly if he's looking at the money drying up for a couple of years while he looks for a grade, nrc or super rugby contract.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wasting your time without the schools competitions being opened up. Development platform not wide enough

I don't know, they poach plenty from the lessor schools with scholarships, so it ends up like a elite development pathway. The other real pathway is just as elite within the selective sports high schools

Status
Not open for further replies.