• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Alternatively fp they are 'flat' after winning the title last year. It happens often in sport whereby a team invests all of their emotional energy in winning the title the next season their performances drop.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah Highlander/Hurricanes final seems most likely, they are playing the most positive and consistent rugby.

Sadly that's almost impossible: Clan would have to finish 6th & beat two of the Stormers in Cape Town, the 'tahs in Sydney, or the Brums in Canberra. Chances are they'll finish 4th or 5th & play the Chiefs with the winner playing the 'canes in a SF.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
....... unless the 6th placed team knocks off the 3rd placed team in their quarter.

And the Clan win their 4/5 play-off, meaning they play the 2nd placed team and the 6th placed team plays the Canes.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The Tahs are in a bit of a hole now with three players suspended and struggling to hang onto the lead in the Aussie conference.

We need to win the last two matches with bonus points to ensure we top the Aussie conference and then hope that the Stormers get 8 points or less so we can finish second.

If we only win one of our last two games we could miss the finals altogether.
I can't see how they can miss the finals as long as they win one of their last two games. Am I missing something?

The lions can't overtake them because they only have one game left and with a bonus point would still be a point behind. The Crusaders and/or Bulls can finish equal on points with 2 bonus point wins but would would both have less wins.

Topping the conference remains the ideal goal but I concur with others that they won't win the title, they aren't playing consistently well enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
... unless the 6th placed team knocks off the 3rd placed team in their quarter.

And the Clan win their 4/5 play-off, meaning they play the 2nd placed team and the 6th placed team plays the Canes.

True, but I honestly can't see that scenario unfolding so I'll stick with mine:

Stormers to beat Brumbies in Cape Town then lose to 'tahs in Sydney.
Clan v Chiefs in Dunners or the 'tron, winner to play 'canes in Wellywood, could go either way.
GF either 'canes v 'tahs in Wellywood OR 'tahs v Clan or Chiefs in Sydney.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
True, but I honestly can't see that scenario unfolding so I'll stick with mine:

Stormers to beat Brumbies in Cape Town then lose to 'tahs in Sydney.
Clan v Chiefs in Dunners or the 'tron, winner to play 'canes in Wellywood, could go either way.
GF either 'canes v 'tahs in Wellywood OR 'tahs v Clan or Chiefs in Sydney.

The Tahs have had issues dealing with conservative field position based teams who execute well with a strong defence. This year two losses to the wooden spooner Force, which were comprehensive victories to the side who haven't had an original thought for two years now, and to make it worse knew exactly what to expect given most of the Tahs played under Foley. If anything the Stormers and out Force the Force and if your scenario happened I wouldn't be confident of the Tahs beating the Stormers at home. At this stage I would be surprised if the Tahs made the final. I fully expect they will lose the first final round, they are just far to inconsistent this year and have had really only one game up to the standard of last year. Three suspensions in two weeks will also have the players backing off in defence, and the Tahs defence was a key factor in them taking the title last year.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Coming second really is crucial for the Waratahs, as third would mean a trip to South Africa in the semi before a trip way back for the final.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I don't think consistency really matters as much when you reach the finals. You only need to win two or three games, and it's completely feasible that an inconsistent team can manage that. I would say that consistency matters to make the finals, but from there it's a combination of who has the higher peak and who shows up on the day.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Coming second really is crucial for the Waratahs, as third would mean a trip to South Africa in the semi before a trip way back for the final.
Assuming they win the first week of finals, that is.

Crossing the Indian twice is a death sentence to your finals hopes

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Anyone else been a tad disappointed in the development of Clunies - Ross this season? I thought he was excellent last season for Uni but this season combined with injuries has faced teams marking up on him more and I believe he has struggled a bit?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The NSW Waratahs have a week off.

What are the chances that we may see a few of them of them turning out for their clubs in Round 13?

If not playing then an appearance on the sidelines would be good. Perhaps even roster some to attend club games in the bush.

How about having a NSW Waratahs training run in Bathurst, Newcastle and the Gong, or all of them?

Don't tell me it is too hard. Some Sydney Schools travel to and from Bathurst, Orange, Central Coast and the Southern Highlands in a day just to have a game of footy. TAS is down in Sydney every second weekend from Armidale for rugby.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The NSW Waratahs have a week off.

What are the chances that we may see a few of them of them turning out for their clubs in Round 13?

If not playing then an appearance on the sidelines would be good. Perhaps even roster some to attend club games in the bush.

How about having a NSW Waratahs training run in Bathurst, Newcastle and the Gong, or all of them?

Don't tell me it is too hard. Some Sydney Schools travel to and from Bathurst, Orange, Central Coast and the Southern Highlands in a day just to have a game of footy. TAS is down in Sydney every second weekend from Armidale for rugby.
They've just played 10 games in a row, travelled to SA and NZ. I hope they don't play SS. They need/deserve a week off.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They've just played 10 games in a row, travelled to SA and NZ. I hope they don't play SS. They need/deserve a week off.

I'd be amazed in anyone in the starting 23 played SS. It would also be hard to imagine anyone in the larger squad doing so either.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd imagine the Tahs would have some sort of internal game or contact session next weekend seeing as there is no game.

I'd be surprised if anyone except those outside the 26-28 players who could potentially be selected for the semi final play any club rugby.

I wonder if Dean Mumm will play for Sydney Uni this weekend? In hindsight, it's a shame he didn't arrive for the Crusaders game and play a minute off the bench. If he was qualified for the finals he'd probably make the 23.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So what do we reckon the 23 for the finals will be?

I'll only fill in not so obvious spots

6. Potgieter
11. Horne
12. Beale
14. Naiyaravoro

16. Latu
19. Chapman
20. Hoiles
22. Lance/Carraro
23. Carraro/Betham

I guess the only contention is who makes the 2 bench spots out of Lance, Carraro and Betham.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think you're bang on Qwerty.

I guess the other possibility is a 6:2 bench and then you might see Dempsey or McCutcheon instead of Betham/Lance.

I think Carraro is a lock to be there regardless of the bench structure.

Personally I'd be going 5:3 and picking Latu, Tilse, Ryan, Chapman, Hoiles, McKibbin, Carraro, Betham.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'm with you, Bh, that's a very handy list of reserves. TPN, Latu, JacPot, Skelton and Horne have all had rests the last few weeks for various reasons, they need to play as many minutes as possible leading into the GF. Let's hope this little breather leaves them refreshed for the matches left. Carraro and Betham haven't had an arduous schedule as well, but they've played very well when asked.

I'd like to see the Stormers arrive battered and buggered.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'm kind of disappointed Mike Ala'alatoa didn't get any game time this year. Granted my Newington bias, but Allan has come a long way and is playing some good footy at the Brumbies. Mike was always more of a buster than Allan... The scary,baby eatin', bone crushing Samoan.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I suspect Michael will get his opportunities next year when Tilse isn't re-signed. Props can take some time to mature, Sio and young Allan are the exceptions.

Michael, Scott and Allan played with my son at Wests Juniors and West Harbour, I always reckoned Allan would end up the best of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.