• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
They can appeal to Sanzar to have him play but they'd have to put up a good case. With only one lock injured it might not be enough. If pottgieter remains injured though he could play maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
4. He'd have to play every game which isn't going to happen as he only got back this week.

Does he actually have to play them though, or just be eligible and in the country? I notice he wasn't picked this week, so if it's the former then he's obviously out. It would be very interesting to see where his level is at.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does he actually have to play them though, or just be eligible and in the country? I notice he wasn't picked this week, so if it's the former then he's obviously out. It would be very interesting to see where his level is at.

No, he has to play the games.

He's be eligible for the finals without playing four games if he'd been a member of the squad for the whole year.

Basically I think he can join the squad now as an injury replacement for Sam Lousi.

I'd guess that Cheika will give him a crack in one of the last three games to see where he is at and whether he's of any interest whatsoever for the RWC squad.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
We'll need Mumm more than we realised... it seems we're real light on Locks at the moment, will Potgieter come back or will they give Holloway a shot?

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
From the Tele:
And Skelton’s possible suspension sets up a remarkable comeback for Dean Mumm, the former Waratahs captain and Wallaby lock, who will join the Tahs in South Africa from England where he has been playing extraordinarily well for Exeter.
“For Dean’s sake it’s a great opportunity, we’ve lost Sam Lousi and Jed Holloway for the season, so that means we’ve only got three fit locks (Skelton, Dave Dennis and Mitchell Chapman),” Cheika said.

Absent Friend

Peter Burge (5)
Also from the Tele:

“Just like Tolu took his chance when Taf was out, Roachy is about right now, he is ready to take his chance.
“It is his time to stand up. He has good passion, he is a different type of hooker for us, a bit like having another Michael Hooper around, he is busy around the field and good over the ball on the ground.
“His enthusiasm for the game is unreal.
“I probably should have given him a bit more time in the season and a half he’s been with us, but Tolu has been outstanding as well.
“Hugh has just been waiting for an opportunity.”

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
No, he has to play the games.

He's be eligible for the finals without playing four games if he'd been a member of the squad for the whole year.

Basically I think he can join the squad now as an injury replacement for Sam Lousi.

I'd guess that Cheika will give him a crack in one of the last three games to see where he is at and whether he's of any interest whatsoever for the RWC squad.

Thanks, it's super difficult to find any actual source on the rules :/ It's interesting that you have to actually play the games, as players such us Holloway would then not be eligible for finals (I don't think he's played any games yet this season- could be wrong). Or I suppose the rule might be only for players who have played in tournaments external to SANZAR.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Thanks, it's super difficult to find any actual source on the rules :/ It's interesting that you have to actually play the games, as players such us Holloway would then not be eligible for finals (I don't think he's played any games yet this season- could be wrong). Or I suppose the rule might be only for players who have played in tournaments external to SANZAR.

The four game rule only applies to players who weren't part of the initial squad.

If you've been part of the squad for the whole season you can play in the finals regardless of the number of games you've played.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
3 weeks for Horne.

The SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Adam Casselden has accepted a guilty plea from Rob Horne of the Waratahs for contravening Law 10.4 (j) Lifting Tackle, after he was cited following a Super Rugby match at the weekend.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs are in a bit of a hole now with three players suspended and struggling to hang onto the lead in the Aussie conference.

We need to win the last two matches with bonus points to ensure we top the Aussie conference and then hope that the Stormers get 8 points or less so we can finish second.

If we only win one of our last two games we could miss the finals altogether.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I stick to my prediction in the podcast a few weeks back. Tahs won't defend title due to inconsistency this season. Nothing I've seen recently changed my view.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I stick to my prediction in the podcast a few weeks back. Tahs won't defend title due to inconsistency this season. Nothing I've seen recently changed my view.

Yeah Highlander/Hurricanes final seems most likely, they are playing the most positive and consistent rugby

An interesting question re Cheika's "style" of coaching.......

Does his passionate approach have a diminishing return after a while?

This year they have looked effective against the top sides but mentally not up playing with that edge against the "easier" sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.