• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
We've also got Kellaway on board next season who was always going to be signed. When you've got a new guy you want coming in on a base contract it's hard to offer Alofa or Crawford much more than that to stay.

I think after tonight and the other NRC games we are all looking forward to seeing "The Fire" in sky blue. I would assume Cheik will bring him in and blood him in the trials and he may see some time off the bench in a couple of games during the regular super 15 season.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
I think after tonight and the other NRC games we are all looking forward to seeing "The Fire" in sky blue. I would assume Cheik will bring him in and blood him in the trials and he may see some time off the bench in a couple of games during the regular super 15 season.

I thought I read somewhere that we have also signed Harry Jones for next season. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

I'd love to have both of them in the squad for next season, they both look like class players.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I haven't heard about Harry but they would be looking for him to be in the NSW U20s again next year, and with experience in the NRC he should make the Aus Under 20s team next year.

Andrew playes a bit "older" than Harry does at present but he certainly can't kick the ball out of hand into touch 40 metres + with both feet as Harry can.

There's no rush for either 18 year-old.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No. not as his age; and not too many older, just quietly.

Jonny Wilkinson was quite good with his right foot but I think Harry can kick further with his left.

Mind you Jonny would have the edge in kicking goals :) though Harry will be taking some long ones if he makes it to Super Rugby one day.

Edit
I don't think the Shute Shield commentators ever twigged that he kicked with his left foot because the odd occasion he did it looked so natural that it didn't look like the "wrong" foot.

Not that the Rats kicked a lot anyway.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
I haven't heard about Harry but they would be looking for him to be in the NSW U20s again next year, and with experience in the NRC he should make the Aus Under 20s team next year.

Andrew playes a bit "older" than Harry does at present but he certainly can't kick the ball out of hand into touch 40 metres + with both feet as Harry can.

There's no rush for either 18 year-old.

Cheers Lee

Yeh I agree no rush on either of them, but they both seem like such good prospects I would love to have them both locked into long-term contracts. And with Alofa gone, I can see Kellaway getting a few chances next season.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Growden

Michael Cheika's re-negotiations with New South Wales Waratahs remain murky, with Ruck'n Maul hearing that Argentina have once again upped their bid to lure the Super Rugby-winning coach. Our Waratahs snouts say that Argentine officials have told Cheika to "name his price" as they are relentlessly pursuing him to be the country's director of rugby for the next four years. The deal includes accommodation, incentives, cars, and schooling for his children. The Waratahs, meanwhile, have tried lately to entice Cheika by inviting him and his wife to a dinner with the board members. "He has declined the feed," said one well-connected source.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
some mates and i were discussing this very matter in the bar last night, without having seen Growden's piece.

we were concerned by developments in Argentine rugby, in terms of their increasing the attraction to The Great Cheiks of becoming the national coach. the better the Argentinians play, the more attractive the gig becomes and they are playing good and improving rugby now. the news last week that the Argentinians see S18 as an avenue for developing the national squad chilled all our spines more than a little. with the current squad being re-oriented to a better style of rugby and with the opening of the S18 as a further avenue for player upgrading, the job to oversee the development of province and national rugby from, say, late 2015 to 2020 must be very attractive indeed to The Great Cheiks. taking the top, say, 60 players and targeting the 2019 RWC striuck us as just the sort of challenge that The Great Cheiks would relish.

continuing opaqueness in processing the sale of the Waratahs' franchise further worries me. we would feel a lot more confident about the Tahs' future if we knew who the next owner might be.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think any move from Cheika will be driven as much by his family.

A lot of these guys move without their family, that would be a really tough, actually going with the family could be near as traumatic

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
What fp said. Don't forget Cheika has four young children (all under 6?) and after his recent travels to Ireland and France maybe he wants his children to enjoy the company of their grandparents and cousins.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
What fp said. Don't forget Cheika has four young children (all under 6?) and after his recent travels to Ireland and France maybe he wants his children to enjoy the company of their grandparents and cousins.

Quite often its the case with families working overseas where kids at a young age grow up in a foreign country and then return to Australia in time to go to a high school. Therefore, if I was Cheiks, I'd grasp the opportunity to coach in Argentina for the next few years!

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Quite often its the case with families working overseas where kids at a young age grow up in a foreign country and then return to Australia in time to go to a high school. Therefore, if I was Cheiks, I'd grasp the opportunity to coach in Argentina for the next few years!

indeed. i have more experience of living abroad than most Australians - almost my entire adult life. i partially returned to Australia when my kids reached the end of primary school. they have always maintained that spending their first 10-11 years abroad was a marvellous experience for which they were very grateful.

while we hear so much of the hardship of living in foreign countries, we should be awake to the context in which such claims are made - usually in setting the context for pay negotiations. most Australians abroad that i have met are very pleased with their lifestyles and family conditions. after all, if living abroad is such hell, why do so many do it?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
indeed. i have more experience of living abroad than most Australians - almost my entire adult life.

As you would as a gun-runner Biffo.

[Not true - it's an old leg-pull I have made about Biffo in various rugby forums from the earlier days of such things.]

It would be devastating to lose Cheika, but it is every coach's professional dream to coach on the international scene, but if we do, we could get him back at the end of McKenzie's tenure.

Up to a point, it wouldn't be a money thing because he is not short of coin.

From a Waratah's point of view it wouldn't be the end of the world—in my opinion Nathan Grey will be an outstanding Super Rugby head coach.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
As you would as a gun-runner Biffo.

[Not true - it's an old leg-pull I have made about Biffo in various rugby forums from the earlier days of such things.]

It would be devastating to lose Cheika, but it is every coach's professional dream to coach on the international scene, but if we do, we could get him back at the end of McKenzie's tenure.

Up to a point, it wouldn't be a money thing because he is not short of coin.

From a Waratah's point of view it wouldn't be the end of the world—in my opinion Nathan Grey will be an outstanding Super Rugby head coach.

yes, Mate. i agree with all of that re The Great Cheiks. i agree also with your opinion of Nathan Grey ... BUT ... i have a big worry there. it is that Grey might go to Argentina with The Great Cheiks as a double act. that would do his long-term coaching aspirations a wealth of good. looking on the bright side, both would (might) return as better coaches.

i still laugh at the digs about gun-running. i just wish it were true - i might then have a lot more money.

btw, a prick relative of yours knows well a mate of mine who throughout the 1980s spread the story that my business was gun-running. send me a pm and i'll give you the details.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It will be difficult for the Tahs to replicate 2014. They have the team to do it as well as the Coach.

They are now the champions (but only by 1 point) and everyone will be gunnin' for them. Teams are no different to Gunfighters. A quicker one always comes along (either next year or eventually)

Old song: "Bang Bang, you shot me down"

Status
Not open for further replies.