• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

They do a good whole pig suckling lunch at the four in hand

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
4 in Hand is an old reference to coach driving. If the coach/buggy/trap/whatever had two horses with two reins each the driver held four reins, hence "four in hand". If there were more than two horses, say four or six, there was one rein for the near side and another for the off side for the front horses of both lines, still "four in hand".

Were you thinking of something else, Sully? I spose it IS close to Oxford Street..... :eek:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
RR, pubs around the SFS. The best beer by far is at The Local Taphouse in Flinders Street (The LT has excellent food BTW, won an award in last year's Good Pub Guide). Decent beer can be had at The Clock in Crown Street and the Dove & Olive in Devonshire Street, both in Surry Hills; the food's pretty good at these two, too.

The Captain Cook on the corner of Moore Park Road is very ordinary, they've got a huge Carlton Draught sign on the side of the pub, that about sums the place up. The Olympic further up Moore Park Road was bought by a young Turkish couple the last year or so, they haven't got a bloody clue what the locals want in a Paddo pub.

The Grand National, London Tavern, Lord Dudley, Imperial, Four in Hand and the Woollahra, all in Paddington/Woollahra, and the Dolphin in Crown Street, Surry Hills are excellent pubs.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
4 in Hand is an old reference to coach driving. If the coach/buggy/trap/whatever had two horses with two reins each the driver held four reins, hence "four in hand". If there were more than two horses, say four or six, there was one rein for the near side and another for the off side for the front horses of both lines, still "four in hand"...
Do you know that because that's how you use to get Tahs game when you were a kid? ;)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I went down for the SF v the Brumbies and my research established that upstairs at the Woollahra was the place to go.....I wasn't disappointed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.