• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Now Kepu:

Sekope Kepu to join James Horwill, Adam Ashley-Cooper in heading overseas.

CORNERSTONE prop Sekope Kepu is poised to join a growing list of Wallaby stars who play overseas after the 2015 World Cup, after Adam Ashley-Cooper and James Horwill handed in departure notices yesterday.

Kepu is being strongly pursued by French club Bordeaux, the same outfit who on Thursday announced they’d beaten French rivals to Ashley-Cooper’s signature.

Kepu will be a loss, but we have Paddy 'penalty magnet' Ryan and recent 135kg debutant Michael Ala'alatoa to kind of replace him. my biggest concern is the gaping hole left from robinson's imminent retirement. All we have is the professional benchwarmer Jeremy Tilse. Hopefully the NRC can churn out some passable props real quick

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kepu will be a loss, but we have Paddy 'penalty magnet' Ryan and recent 135kg debutant Michael Ala'alatoa to kind of replace him. my biggest concern is the gaping hole left from robinson's imminent retirement. All we have is the professional benchwarmer Jeremy Tilse. Hopefully the NRC can churn out some passable props real quick

Are u kidding me? I don't care about Tahs. I'm worried about Wallabies.

One thing is replace a player in Super Rugby level and quite another to replace him for international level. We're going to die without Kepu at international level TBH

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If alatoa played for the Eagles in NRC then I am optimistic. He looks pretty athletic for a big bopper.
I say nothing about his scrummaging which is the real issue: any insights there?

Allan (THP) is the star of the Ala'alotoa family but he plays for the Brumbies. LHP (mainly, though he played THP in the NRC) Mike is huge but his scrummaging doesn't seem to be exceptional.

LHP Mitch Lewis of Manly and the Rays got a bit of NRC ink (mainly for his "own try" effort), but his scrumming prowess didn't seem to help the Rays - though the Manly scrum was often dominant in the Shute Shield.

It's not down to just one guy as we have always known - just saying.

LHP Rory O'Connor, a complete surprise in the Oz U20s in 2014 (propping with THP Allan A on the other side), could be the long-term successor to Benn Robinson, if performance for Oz U20s is any guide to future pro success, as it sometimes is - and he puts on a bit of pork.

I'd be more worried about the tight head side for 2016. I can't remember too many Sydney-based THPs putting their hands up in the NRC - Guy Millar doesn't grab my attention as a Super Rugby prospect.

Any other THP candidates?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think Phil Kite who played for Brisbane City has headed down to the Vikings to try and crack super rugby there, he may have more luck with the Tahs given their lack of options. He looked better than most in the NRC but his fitness probably has a long way to go before he plays super rugby.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I believe Pettowa Parraka from Brisbane City plays both sides of the scrum. I think he's not on a full Reds contract. He's a very solid scrummager and is young enough to develop the full set of prop skills. Not sure he's lean enough for a single digit jersey though. Probably just a bench player.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A

LHP Rory O'Connor, a complete surprise in the Oz U20s in 2014 (propping with THP Allan A on the other side), could be the long-term successor to Benn Robinson, if performance for Oz U20s is any guide to future pro success, as it sometimes is - and he puts on a bit of pork.

Rory and Allan are both great scrum prospects, I hope they receive the appropriate technical advice as part of their development. Now is the time to get rid of any bad habits and really turn these guys into great scrummagers.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
New Tahs jerseys:

Away:

141223011237442410.jpg

Charity:

14122301124066658.jpg

The home jersey will be the same, right? Boriiiiing

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Tahs had a pre-Xmas hitout this morning mixed up with some of the Gen Blue players who have been training with them.

It was full-on, with Andrew Lees refereeing.

Because of the NRC and the need to rest players, the pre-season training of the Aussie teams will be shortened this year, and the hit-outs are happening earlier.

Cheika was in great form - he dropped a high ball and the odd pass but his revving up of some of the young blokes was classic Cheika.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Tahs had a pre-Xmas hitout this morning mixed up with some of the Gen Blue players who have been training with them.

It was full-on, with Andrew Lees refereeing.

Because of the NRC and the need to rest players, the pre-season training of the Aussie teams will be shortened this year, and the hit-outs are happening earlier.

Cheika was in great form - he dropped a high ball and the odd pass but his revving up of some of the young blokes was classic Cheika.

Cheika and Darren Lehmann are my two favourite coaches in Australian sport, straight to the point, no b/s and everyone knows where they stand as opposed to the coach-speak employed by many professional coaches. Can't help but notice that the players like it too.:)

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
LHP Mitch Lewis of Manly and the Rays got a bit of NRC ink (mainly for his "own try" effort), but his scrumming prowess didn't seem to help the Rays - though the Manly scrum was often dominant in the Shute Shield.

It's not down to just one guy as we have always known - just saying.

I'd be more worried about the tight head side for 2016. I can't remember too many Sydney-based THPs putting their hands up in the NRC - Guy Millar doesn't grab my attention as a Super Rugby prospect.

LHP Lewis was a stand-out for both the Ray's and MMM's - he picked up the Best and Fairest award for the Marlins this year and can play THP as well. I have no doubt under the watchful eye of Damien Cummins you will see him being picked up by a S15 club.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Re:available THPs

from the NRC the Rays used Tobias Gukibau with Nick Fraser on the bench, not sure how good these guys are.

The Rams used Guy Miller with David Lolohea off the bench. The later was truly poor.

The Eagles used Jake Illniki ahead of M Alaoalatoa and the Stars had Weeks and Ryan.

Some good LHPs were Duncan Chubb and Ged Gillespie.

But I'm not sure if the Waratahs are interested in any of these guys other than the ones they've already signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.