• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

what was the crowd at the game?
I live in Randwick, and i don't think i saw any billboards or heard much advertising leading into the game..

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Apparently Cheika spent Friday night and Saturday in Canberra, so that couldn't have helped preparation for today.....

I suppose you could say that depends on what he was wearing! Did he know he was here, who he was when he was here? Was it for the greener grass. or the greener grass?

No, got it now; he had left it to his assistants (minions) while in Canberra while he was looking for some assistants (minions) in Canberra. Walt - that would depend on what he was wearing right?

Help Daz?

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/day-life-man-two-brains/

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surprised how badly Beale played yesterday. Of all the backline he probably looked the sharpest in the two preseason games.

I don't think that will be repeated and he'll bounce back with a strong game against the Rebels.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Obviously some pretty poor performances individually across the park as well as a unit from the tahs (excluding set piece). I probably could have been accused on harping on it a bit last year but can someone please make a case for Dave Dennis being a)skipper and b) in the match day 22. He was pedestrian at best last year pre knee reco and I can only see it getting worse post surgery this year (today a strong indicator). I thought chapman was busy and would be the likely replacement.

Our scrum and lineout were dominant and I thought Dennis was fine around the park. He didn't have a big impact but it was also his second game into a pretty short timeframe comeback from a knee reconstruction. Seems more like you don't like him rather than judging him objectively.

He's the heart and soul of the team. I think you underrate how crucial he is to the whole club.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
what was the crowd at the game?
I live in Randwick, and i don't think i saw any billboards or heard much advertising leading into the game..

Just a tad over 20k, according to Fox Sports.

Disappointing, the reigning premiers on debut, a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah it wasn't promoted particularly widely. Over 20k is still a decent enough result, but jeez it would have been great to start with a real blockbuster against the Reds on a Saturday night.

Still very early in the year, think everyone is still in cricket/beach mode.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Pretty poor effort from Tahs. They have a great first 15 on paper but are going to have big problems if they get some injuries.

IMO the bench is pretty average and their next group who played at TG Milner on Saturday against the Brumby runners were woeful.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Surprised how badly Beale played yesterday. Of all the backline he probably looked the sharpest in the two preseason games.

I don't think that will be repeated and he'll bounce back with a strong game against the Rebels.
Beale's problem is going to be seen starkly this year.
He runs across field to izzy who runs across field so that almost every time the one bloke either drops off the end of the line or runs into row A.
Go forward in the pigs hides the issue, which is part of the reason it is easily exposed at test level. Playing against second stringers in the trials hides it too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They were a couple of trials short of being ready I thought.
I think the bench is fine,but agree beyond the match day 23 things get interesting!
I thought the big winger put Kellaways development on the fast track yesterday.

Yeah, Naiyaravoro had a poor game. Betham should come into the XV for Friday.

The players who I want to see on the park from outside this 23 are Gray, Holloway, Lance, Betham and Kellaway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale's problem is going to be seen starkly this year.
He runs across field to izzy who runs across field so that almost every time the one bloke either drops off the end of the line or runs into row A.
Go forward in the pigs hides the issue, which is part of the reason it is easily exposed at test level. Playing against second stringers in the trials hides it too.

It's not how he played last year though at least in Super Rugby.

He was direct and straightened the attack and made space for runners outside him.

I still think he'll be good this season and will probably turn it around this Friday against the Rebels.

His defence was actually better against the Force including tackling intent. He put his shoulder in nicely and made a strong hit against McCalman or Cottrell I think in the first half.

T

TOCC

Just a tad over 20k, according to Fox Sports.

Disappointing, the reigning premiers on debut, a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Maybe I just overlooked it but i haven't seen much of a marketing campaign, last year i remember seeing Izzy on plenty of cabs and some billboards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Should be some home truths told at training this week (at a number of franchises).

Whether Friday night is a complete turnaround or complete disaster is going to be shaped by players attitude and approach to this week.

Hope the Mexicans bring their A game, and that the Tahs consume a tonne of humble pie this week and also turn up wanting to play rather than go through the motions.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's not how he played last year though at least in Super Rugby.

He was direct and straightened the attack and made space for runners outside him.

I still think he'll be good this season and will probably turn it around this Friday against the Rebels.

His defence was actually better against the Force including tackling intent. He put his shoulder in nicely and made a strong hit against McCalman or Cottrell I think in the first half.

You may be onto something there: he may have got back into the habit - which he has had since school - when in the wallaby set up, I just can't remember.
Izzy has the problem no matter what level he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.