• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Beale's problem is going to be seen starkly this year.
He runs across field to izzy who runs across field so that almost every time the one bloke either drops off the end of the line or runs into row A.
Go forward in the pigs hides the issue, which is part of the reason it is easily exposed at test level. Playing against second stringers in the trials hides it too.

The sideways running was one thing, but what about the kicks? At least twice he made a half break down the eastern touchline and instead of stepping back in away from the sideline and either looking for support or going to ground and recycling, he put in nothing kicks - one of which went out on the full. The less said about the chip kick in our 22 for the last try the better.

He can only play effectively at 12 if (a)the forwards are going forward, (b)the ball comes out quickly and (c)he is confronted with a broken defensive line. When the Waratahs gave him that last season he was good. It didn't happen at all yesterday, which is not his fault.

In fairness to him, yesterday was a team loss.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yep it was a team loss,but he would have got the 3 points from the Force boys.
He was woeful.
If we are saying he can only add value when the piggies are dominating,then get rid of him until the forwards find their groove.
At the very least,he gifted them,and cost us a bonus point with that brain fart.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He can only play effectively at 12 if (a)the forwards are going forward, (b)the ball comes out quickly and (c)he is confronted with a broken defensive line. When the Waratahs gave him that last season he was good. It didn't happen at all yesterday, which is not his fault.

Arguably any 12 can play if he has those preconditions but even limited pressure on his inside shoulder sends him across field.
I will give him this: very early on there was a bit of what it turned out was going to be Tahs offering for the whole day over on the eastern side just shy of the half way - he burst out of nowhere to create a half chance on the outside: i think it was called back.
His ongoing use is as the man coming in rather than always playing him in the line which 12 requires. Winger or fullback, which probably means 14 in the Tahs at the moment and get rid of the big guy.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Arguably any 12 can play if he has those preconditions but even limited pressure on his inside shoulder sends him across field.
I will give him this: very early on there was a bit of what it turned out was going to be Tahs offering for the whole day over on the eastern side just shy of the half way - he burst out of nowhere to create a half chance on the outside: i think it was called back.
His ongoing use is as the man coming in rather than always playing him in the line which 12 requires. Winger or fullback, which probably means 14 in the Tahs at the moment and get rid of the big guy.

The whole backline yesterday looked disorganised - at least part of which is a result of this roving commission, which is quite odd for a 12. If that's how we are going to play him then he needs to play on the wing.

The whole thing was very disappointing from a team which would be over 90% of last year's champions. They should be familiar with each other's game, but it looked like they got together half an hour before kick-off for their first meeting. At one stage about half way through the 2nd half we lost about 30 metres in possession near the western touch line, getting pushd back and aimlessly chucking the ball to anyone in a blue jersey. It was 13F stuff. In fact I don't even think the 13Fs at Joeys would dare to do it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Our attack only started to look good in the last 5 minutes when Bernard Foley remembered he's Bernard Foley, and he stood flat to the line as he did last year, taking the line on regularly.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Maybe because in the preceding 75 minutes,instead of getting beyond the ad line and giving him front foot ball,the piggies were busy giving the ball back to the Force.
I recall at about 25 minutes the Force had 80% of possession,how did it end up?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Waratahs finished the game with 52% possession and made 14 less tackles than the Force did.

If you take out the two tries from horrendous mistakes it would have been very close despite the massive number of dropped balls. Better execution similar to last year would have seen a very comfortable win to the Tahs.

I can't imagine it will take long to click this year. The fundamentals were well and truly there last year and this is pretty much the same team. They executed much better against the Chiefs in the trial and that was by no means a bad side they faced.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Snip

If you take out the two tries from horrendous mistakes it would have been very close despite the massive number of dropped balls. Better execution similar to last year would have seen a very comfortable win to the Tahs.

Alternatively, if the Force kickers and Brache had better execution, the winning margin would have been even bigger.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I did notice that there has been a minor upgrade to the bar at least near where we sit.

They had a four pourer tray thing at the back of the bar which was greatly speeding up service and meant that not every staff member was filling beers one at a time with one of the guns.

Hopefully it is just the first step in some substantial upgrades to the facilities.

The massive video screens will obviously be a plus although the old screens weren't terrible. Hopefully they actually finish them in March.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I did notice that there has been a minor upgrade to the bar at least near where we sit.

They had a four pourer tray thing at the back of the bar which was greatly speeding up service and meant that not every staff member was filling beers one at a time with one of the guns.

Hopefully it is just the first step in some substantial upgrades to the facilities.

The massive video screens will obviously be a plus although the old screens weren't terrible. Hopefully they actually finish them in March.

Have they done anything about the quality of what comes out of the taps?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Have they done anything about the quality of what comes out of the taps?

No.

It does taste slightly better if you don't have to queue for 20 minutes to get it though.

It would be awesome if eventually they put in something like the Matilda Bay Bar in the new Noble Stand at the SCG. The food and beverage in there is excellent now.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The sideways running was one thing, but what about the kicks? At least twice he made a half break down the eastern touchline and instead of stepping back in away from the sideline and either looking for support or going to ground and recycling, he put in nothing kicks - one of which went out on the full. The less said about the chip kick in our 22 for the last try the better.

This bit. I have made no secret that I have never been a Beale fan, simply because he is so often a purely individual player. That would be fine if he was played on the wing and occasionally slipped into 12 or 10. That is not the role we have always seen him in though.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
BREAKING NEWS - through on the wireless:

Cliffy Palu is out of tomorrow nights game due to "knee soreness". One would assume Hoiles moves to 8, and McCutcheon onto the bench. Shame for Cliffy and the tahs, he needs to fire this year for the sake of the tahs & wallabies. Hopefully its only a week long injury and not something more long term.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Our scrum and lineout were dominant and I thought Dennis was fine around the park. He didn't have a big impact but it was also his second game into a pretty short timeframe comeback from a knee reconstruction. Seems more like you don't like him rather than judging him objectively.

He's the heart and soul of the team. I think you underrate how crucial he is to the whole club.
I objectively saw him miss a regulation one on one tackle that lead to a try and then turn over possesion of the ball 5 minutes later. Were u in the bathroom for that? I dont know the guy at all is nothing personal , I just dont rate him, he had no impact all year barrng one game last year and as I suggested in original post yet to see how that will improve after surgery

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I objectively saw him miss a regulation one on one tackle that lead to a try and then turn over possesion of the ball 5 minutes later. Were u in the bathroom for that? I dont know the guy at all is nothing personal , I just dont rate him, he had no impact all year barrng one game last year and as I suggested in original post yet to see how that will improve after surgery

I think no impact all of last year except for one game is a huge exaggeration.

There's no doubt he missed the tackle on Cottrell that cost us a try.

The Waratahs had 18 turnovers, I think singling out the one Dennis made achieves little.

Status
Not open for further replies.