• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Jeez that 'nationwide search' led by Kerry Chikarovski didn't take long. Announced in the SMH last Thursday... she doesn't muck around!

We at least she went futher than the boundaries of Mosman Municipality, which was where the ARU's worldwide search stopped.

Mr Harris seems to hail from the St George region, so she even cross the harbour bridge:eek:

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm not usually one to pile on the Waratahs admin, but I do think this is a bit of a fuck up. Apparently Harris is a good operator, so it's not the appointment I object to.

But they announced to the Sydney Morning Herald on Thursday (here) that they have appointed a respected ex-politician to do a sweeping search of the nation for the very best administrator (complete with glossy photo). They say it will take a few weeks, because it will be so comprehensive.

....... and then a few days later they announce they have found someone. Regardless of who they found, the timeline here doesn't make sense.

It was announced on Tuesday morning, which means no doubt hands were shaken on Monday. So he was interviewed on Friday?

This presents two scenarios, both of which don't reflect well on the Tahs:

1. The Harris process was well in train when the article ran, meaning the comms guys (and potentially NFJ who is quoted extensively) didn't know what was going on. If this is the case the article should have been pulled.

2. The Harris process wasn't in train, but was wrapped up within three business days. Which to me seems a staggeringly fast time to appoint a CEO, and raises questions regarding the accuracy of NSWRU's 'nationwide search' claim.

It's not a huge deal, but it hasn't been handled well. The end result is OK but like a lot of things in rugby it's the communication that matters most.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
possible: They'd approached Harris off the bat, but there was something in the way of him taking the job (couldn't leave RUPA, considering retirement, whatever). Having missed their first choice option they announce a search for the new chairman. Harris then reconsiders and accepts the offer. Call off the search.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I though that Harris had been appointed the CEO of NSW Waratahs Pty Ltd (or whatever their official organisation is called).

IIRC NSW Waratahs Pty Ltd is an independent entity from NSW Rugby Union Inc, with the latter under the wing of NFJ?

How would NFJ or anyone else at NSWRU Inc be involved in the selection of the CEO of NSW Waratahs Pty Ltd, unless they sit on the Board of the latter?

Things were crook in Tallarook when individuals sat on both boards a few years ago, and there was an audible sigh of relief when a number of individuals resigned from their positions on the board of both bodies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting to revisit the Waratahs and NSWRU structure.

Current Waratahs Board:

Roger Davis (Kings)
AL Baxter (Shore)
Sally Loane (SCEGGS Darlinghurst - the girls' Shore)
Paul Timmins (Joeys)
Ross Grant (NZ)
Michael Miller (?)

http://www.waratahs.com.au/Portals/3/PDFs/2014 Waratahs Rugby Board of Directors.pdf

NSWRU Board:

Nick FARR-JONES (Newington) Chairman
Kerry CHIKAROVSKI (Monte) Director
Geoff FERRIS (?) Director
Arthur LAUNDY (? - son went to Joeys) Director
Rob MILLNER (newington) Director
Paul TIMMINS (Joeys) Director
Philip VAN SCHALKWYK (?) Secretary
Peter VEENSTRA (?) Director
Bruce WORBOYS (?) Director

Tim GAVIN (Scots) President
Michael MATHERS (Shore) Vice President

http://www.nswrugby.com.au/AboutNSWRU/NSWRUBoard.aspx

My understanding is that the Waratahs are a separate entity, but are are wholly owned by the NSWRU. It follows that the NSWRU would have no direct impact on the appointment of the CEO, but as the owners, who knows what influence they did or didn't have?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Surely you need one common director: NSWRU are the only shareholder.
How do they keep a direct eye on their our investment?
To pick up Barbarians point: this reminds me of a similar worldwide search for a rugby CEO that ended up appointing the Chairman's best mate from school.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It's not a huge deal, but it hasn't been handled well. The end result is OK but like a lot of things in rugby it's the communication that matters most.

Maybe Chika was appointed a while back, and the Tahs intern only just got around to telling the paper.

OR perhaps the papers gave no fucks about the search, and only the result, and waited until rugby season to publish it.

Yes, badly handled. But fucking hell its inbred school tie rugby administration. I know i bang on about this, but its a closed shop to most of us, and transparency only matters when assessing the quality of the wine.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
QH, Sally Loane went to a Brisbane school, probably All Hallows or Stuartholme. Arthur Laundy went to Joeys.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Surely the rugby demographic is largely private school old boys, so is it really that much of a surprise that most of the board is made up of ex-GPS old boys? I mean, I understand that for the sake of image/growing the game it's good to have some representation from, say the Western suburbs or NSW Country but it's not really that much of a surprise that most board members come from private schools.

Cyril Towers (30)
Timmins is from Condoblin. Can't get much more country than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Surely the rugby demographic is largely private school old boys, so is it really that much of a surprise that most of the board is made up of ex-GPS old boys? I mean, I understand that for the sake of image/growing the game it's good to have some representation from, say the Western suburbs or NSW Country but it's not really that much of a surprise that most board members come from private schools.

I think the new CEO is a good appointment, but more broadly I think focussing just on people with rugby union backgrounds is limiting the code and denying different ideas, Jim Carmichael at the Reds is an example of this, rugby should be recruiting more from AFL who arguably develop the best sports administrators in the country.

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
I think the new CEO is a good appointment, but more broadly I think focussing just on people with rugby union backgrounds is limiting the code and denying different ideas, Jim Carmichael at the Reds is an example of this, rugby should be recruiting more from AFL who arguably develop the best sports administrators in the country.

having met and yarned with former soccer and afl ceo's i have to agree - their focus on grassroots and community/culture are miles ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.