• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
@dave

Im not the only one saying it, yet you seem to be the only one around here defending him. Think a tad of bias is getting in the way

To be fair to @Dave Beat he probably has watched more of him recently than most of us. I haven't seen much in the past to say he's the goods at Super level, but admit I've barely watched him this year. Players can change.

Missed some of these posts, all good. All I'd said he's been dogged by injury for the last 2&1/2 of years and he's only 23 - and in my eye because of injury have any of us really had a chance to see him build and play a full season.

He'd been playing some solid rugby this year, I know I never said "he is awesome, should be starting with the Tah's and the selectors have know idea". I was keen to see how he fared against a fellow Super player and I was going to assess fairly - in the end it didn't happen. Also put it out there so some of the soft people of the Shire might get parocial and make the trip North as we love the gate.

No harm in what was said, talking is done on the field and unfortunately Kane didn't talk on the weekend.

Hope the ARU is talking as much as we are about the players leaving.

So what Australian locks are the Tah's going to pick next year, or do we look abroad and forget about our own grass roots. Do we sign the U20 locks and develop them or do we look for an overseas import. How many players have the Tah's missed because we weren't looking - we were lucky we got Hooper back (as an example), we had Waugh, Brumbies had Smith so he was behind a player with either club.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Assuming Chapman is healthy enough to keep going, he'll be important next season.

I'd guess that we should give the Oz under 20s NSW lock Matt Philip an EPS contract and possibly one more EPS contract to a lock.

It needs to be a looked at as a position where we are sorely lacking and gambling on one EPS lock is probably not enough. Secure two of them and then see who develops better.

Who would be the pick of Shute Shield locks to sign? Given that Holloway and Chapman can both play 6, I'd be looking at a pure lock as opposed to a smaller one that offers versatility.

T

Train Without a Station

The problem is that Chapman is a 6 converted to a lock. Doesn't quite have the impact in contact as he is on the leaner side.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The problem is that Chapman is a 6 converted to a lock. Doesn't quite have the impact in contact as he is on the leaner side.

No, but he'd be a reasonable pairing with Skelton (especially with Potgieter at 6). Chapman is excellent in the lineout which the Tahs need.

I thought he was an important part of our team in 2013. Given the departures, he will most likely be important in 2015 too.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Can't say I'll shed many tears for Peterson - good on him for snaring a contract and I wish him the best.

But we need to find some beef for the second row, and quick. All well and good to start Chapman (if he's fit) but do we have enough for the bench next year?

Can't worry about it too much right now though - got to get our stars through the Test on the weekend, then look at the Brumbies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
think our best option may be to look overseas, there aren't any standouts that come to mind that can make the jump from shute shiled etc to s15

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
think our best option may be to look overseas, there aren't any standouts that come to mind that can make the jump from shute shiled etc to s15

We already have a foreign marquee player.

Assuming Chapman is right next year I figure we go with Skelton, Potgieter and Chapman. Holloway and Dennis can cover lock at a pinch.

We then pick up a couple of young guys to see how they develop. Matt Philip and maybe Cameron Skelton or someone out of Shute Shield.

We could always bring Dean Mumm back but my guess is we couldn't afford him!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
meant those foreign development spots, for players that could in the future be eligible for wallaby selection

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
meant those foreign development spots, for players that could in the future be eligible for wallaby selection
Hard to win here, we go someone off shore and our young players get the shits and go overseas or another province and then become stars.
Or do we stay solid to the Shute and develop these players - I'm with this and no marquee at all. There are 11 Shute players playing on the weekend, and how many Tahs?
Note what I've read, sent from phone so unresearched

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
So Cheika spends the first week of the Test window in France, where his Leinster guns and fellow Randwick old boys Elsom and Whitaker are running the show at Narbonne - where Peterson duly signs within a fortnight. Coincidence? Perhaps - though if not, what does Cheika get in return?

Too late for big Chris Thomson, he came home 12 months ago and promptly retired (at Rebels) - and noting he's already got one grey import (Jackpot) he could only be after a foreign development player, or an Aussie to bring home (unlikely as Jenkins, Tomeki, Valentine, Halangahu and Tyrone Smith aren't likely to be on his radar) - unless, unless... McKibbin goes and Valentine returns. McKibbin had his window to go back to his country of birth (Scotland) to claim a test spot, but Grayson Hart might have closed that for him this weekend just past.

So while Narbonne won't fix his scrum locking dilemma - which shapes up as Skelton, Potgetier, Chapman, Dennis, Holloway of which only Skelton is a genuine lock though does not jump - nor would it appear other domestic Super sides will either. I had heard Simmons was shopping himself to the Tahs and that we should chase McDuling, though I understand they're both still under contract next year. The only free agents appear to be O'Donoghue and Whetton unless a Shute Shield player or this U20s player I read about today become a development option. So while Douglas frees up some salary $$ for both Tahs and ARU, there's not much left to fill his boots.

We've also got potential issues out wide with Alofa Alofa Alofa Alofa gone and Crawford (maybe) heading for Rebels, and Hodge and Volavola unlikely to be retained - I really hope Cheika gives Horne some early indication of his worth unlike the 1-yr offering he received for 2014. Hopefully something compelling will turn up in the NRC - I reckon Naiyaravoro will own this comp but it'll be good to see a few youngsters like Kellaway mixing it with seasoned super rugby players.

Go Tahs!

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Recruitment for next season is looking like a bit of a stretch. Especially out-wide and in the second row. Already lost two Wingers and our best lock.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Losing Crawford sucks, but Betham will be back and Cheika has proven he has an eye for talent.

Now just sign Kellaway, Cheiks.

Status
Not open for further replies.