• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies 28th June ANZ Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
dunno, winning more maybe makes you enjoy it more, but meh, saying it is better than the Tahs under Foley is like being happy that you only ended up with dog shit on one shoe instead of both.
Only a tahs fan wouldn't know whether winning games is more enjoyable than losing.

Cyril Towers (30)
I commented in the 2014 thread, both finished the Shute Shield match on the weekend. Of course they could've played through injury or picked up through recovery but both were moving fine. Alofa's leg was heavily strapped however.

I would expect both to play. I'd still have Crawford ahead of both.

I seem to remember Carraro coming off near the end holding a heavily strapped elbow.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Ohh handbags already in the thread 4 days out from the game. Guessing she will be a spiteful little contest if the opposition posters are anything to go by. Keep it up :)

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Stats
Average Crowd Figures for Waratahs Games
2011 @ SFS - 16,970
2011 @ ANZ - 31,061

2012 @ SFS - 18,596
2012 @ ANZ - 32,071

2013 @ SFS - 14,619
2013 @ ANZ - 23,927

That's just looking at it very simplistically. The increased figures can be explained by the fact that games at ANZ are fixtures against teams that draw more (QLD and Brumbies). Playing the other Australian or foreign teams at ANZ would result in crowds similar or worse to what the Waratahs currently get at SFS. It is reasonable to assume that the reverse of that where Reds or Brumbies games get played at the SFS would instead result in similar or better crowds. So the point stands, there is no significant evidence that games at ANZ increases demand, if anything it lowers it.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
So the point stands, there is no significant evidence that games at ANZ increases demand, if anything it lowers it.

Actually, there is no evidence either way. That's what makes this argument so circular and pointless.

The Tahs play at ANZ because a) it gives them fat stacks of cash, and b) playing west of Anzac Parade from time to time isn't such a bad idea. It's impact on crowd numbers isn't something we can know from the figures available.

T

Train Without a Station

What profit did the Waratahs make in 2013? I'd argue that their ANZ agreement is pretty critical for their survival.

Organisations which are not on the bones of their ass can afford to make decisions based on factors beyond immediate finances. Since the Waratahs are on the bones of their ass, it's a pointless discussion, as they are doing what's absolutely necessary to ensure they're here in the next 12 months.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's just looking at it very simplistically. The increased figures can be explained by the fact that games at ANZ are fixtures against teams that draw more (QLD and Brumbies). Playing the other Australian or foreign teams at ANZ would result in crowds similar or worse to what the Waratahs currently get at SFS. It is reasonable to assume that the reverse of that where Reds or Brumbies games get played at the SFS would instead result in similar or better crowds. So the point stands, there is no significant evidence that games at ANZ increases demand, if anything it lowers it.

Please tell us more about your unique insight into ANZ Stadium.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
So....back to the game...

I suspect our injury toll is going to be too much. We don't have any real experience or obvious talent on the bench for this, we're going to be over run in the final 15 mins or so.

However, if To'omua is out, it will be interesting to see how Lealiifano rises to the challenge. Maybe this is the moment he's needed since that ankle injury to really step up and get his 2012 form back?

It's a hell of a shame that Patty McCabe is out, as that would have been very nice to be able to let that pairing have another lash, with some more quality and experience outside them.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Olympic Stadium is pretty located pretty much at Sydney's demographic centre. For that reason alone games should be played there. Don't tell me that supporters from west of Homebush do not prefer to go there, rather than make the long trek to Moore Park.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
However, if To'omua is out, it will be interesting to see how Lealiifano rises to the challenge. Maybe this is the moment he's needed since that ankle injury to really step up and get his 2012 form back?

If Lilo can get back to anything like that form, and maintain it, it would be the single biggest factor in us being genuine contenders next year. He was sensational back then, and we need him. At 10, please. Kicking goals as well.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Olympic Stadium is pretty located pretty much at Sydney's demographic centre. For that reason alone games should be played there. Don't tell me that supporters from west of Homebush do not prefer to go there, rather than make the long trek to Moore Park.

As a supporter who lives significantly northwest of it, I don't like it for atmosphere.

But being able to go to a night game, and take public transport out of the joint, makes that fact pretty significant.

I can get public transport to SFS but its a looooong way to haul a family, particularly the walking component for my weak-arse kids

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ohh handbags already in the thread 4 days out from the game. Guessing she will be a spiteful little contest if the opposition posters are anything to go by. Keep it up :)
Needed to get back on topic as some people were more.. interested in bitching about ANZ

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
As a supporter who lives significantly northwest of it, I don't like it for atmosphere.

If the Tahs want to play out west, they could consider ditching Homebush and going to Parramatta Stadium when it is redeveloped to seat about 32K.

Take a game out there against a lesser crowd drawing team on a Sunday afternoon could work.

Afterwards, still time to go back into town. Also good dining options in Parramatta. The Leagues club is right next door if that takes your fancy. The ground is walking distance from the station (closer than Central is to the SFS). Trains are direct from the city rather than having to change at Lidcombe. Shuttle buses to the ground. No parking facilities close to the ground though.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I commented in the 2014 thread, both finished the Shute Shield match on the weekend. Of course they could've played through injury or picked up through recovery but both were moving fine. Alofa's leg was heavily strapped however.

I would expect both to play. I'd still have Crawford ahead of both.

I'm a Crawford fan, but Alofa has a sidestep to die for and I think he's a bit quicker. Alofa to start with Crawford on the bench for mine.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If Lilo can get back to anything like that form, and maintain it, it would be the single biggest factor in us being genuine contenders next year. He was sensational back then, and we need him. At 10, please. Kicking goals as well.

Yep, and then after Lealiifano wins MOM against the Tahs, To'omua is brought back as a 12 to help both the Wallabies, and To'omua, develop a really high quality player/position.

And get Lealiifano back into the frame in HIS better position.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Jason Allen told me earlier this year that the Tahs make 5 times the revenue form 1 game at ANZ that a game at Allianz makes. Plus this amount is underwritten.
So unless we start getting 25k plus to the SFS and improve the Tahs bottom line, they’ll still have games there.
Its up to us.
There really should be 30k at ANZ on Sat night.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
What profit did the Waratahs make in 2013? I'd argue that their ANZ agreement is pretty critical for their survival.

Per the Waratahs 2013 Annual Report, it made an accounting loss of $96,325. Cashflow from operating activities was actually positive to the tune of about $413K.

From my reading of the annual report, the Tahs brought to account as revenue $650,000 from the deal. Although, it would appear from the annual report that the money was received when the agreement was done.

You can download the reports here:
http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs/AboutUs/AnnualReports.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.