• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs V Reds July 13 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tough uncompromising match - typical between NSW and QLD.

QC (Quade Cooper) good but not as dominant as I would have thought.
Quade kicked it out on the full twice, threw an intercept pass that led to a try and was out of sorts goal kicking.

I've never seen Waratahs fans as passionate as they are in their hatred of Quade Cooper - mind you it was nothing compared to what he got at Eden Park in 2011, yet he still struggled to really find his place in the game.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Have never been to SFS - what is its capacity and wonder why more Tahs games are not played there ???

SFS current capacity is 45,500.

The Tahs have contractual agreement to play two games out at the Olympic Stadium plus any home finals. The contracts runs until the end of either 2014 or 2015. For this, the Tahs received around $1.3mil in 2013.

Many people don't like going out to Homebush. However, as the crowds aren't turning up to the SFS, can't blame Tahs HQ for taking the money on offer.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Quade kicked it out on the full twice, threw an intercept pass that led to a try and was out of sorts goal kicking.

I've never seen Waratahs fans as passionate as they are in their hatred of Quade Cooper - mind you it was nothing compared to what he got at Eden Park in 2011, yet he still struggled to really find his place in the game.

Indeed. I thought that the most classiest of Waratahs fans were those behind the goal posts who brought lights to shine at Cooper's eyes whenever he kicked at goal - there were about 10 - 15 of them in a group and quite obviously it was planned.

Apart from that, I could feel the vitriol dripping off the occasional sarcastic "Quade" call I heard in the area around me.

Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of dislike, but I didn't really feel the passion.

And despite the intercepts and kicks out on the full, he still outplayed Foley and To'omua this week. Not sure whether that is an endorsement on Cooper, or disendorsement on the others. Take it whatever way you want.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)

I thought QUade was ordinary and I am concerned that if his first game back is against the ABs, who have completely mind f**cked him, he may never recover. It will be interested to see McKenzies's selections for the first test- could be a defining moment for him as a coach.

Re Berrick - well what can I say. Every time he aimlessly kicked there were collective groans followed by sledging from the Tahs supporters. He has lost his mojo and it is best that he is moving on.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Re Berrick - well what can I say. Every time he aimlessly kicked there were collective groans followed by sledging from the Tahs supporters. He has lost his mojo and it is best that he is moving on.

How many times did he kick?

Honestly only remember him punting it a couple of times, no more than any other back.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Indeed. I thought that the most classiest of Waratahs fans were those behind the goal posts who brought lights to shine at Cooper's eyes whenever he kicked at goal - there were about 10 - 15 of them in a group and quite obviously it was planned.

Apart from that, I could feel the vitriol dripping off the occasional sarcastic "Quade" call I heard in the area around me.

Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of dislike, but I didn't really feel the passion.

And despite the intercepts and kicks out on the full, he still outplayed Foley and To'omua this week. Not sure whether that is an endorsement on Cooper, or disendorsement on the others. Take it whatever way you want.

The idiots with the lights should receive the same short of naming and shaming as the Lazer pointer wielding spectators in Argentina. Ban them.

To comment on the bold faced text above: I am in the camp of disendorsement of the others.

If you had to pick the Wobs on form over the last 3 weeks and nothing else, Quade has probably Done a Bradbury to win back the Starting #10 jumper for the Men in Gold.

Reactions: BPC

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How many times did he kick?

Honestly only remember him punting it a couple of times, no more than any other back.

Is your question about the number of aimless place kicks or aimless drop kick, or the number of times he should have drop kicked the ball in the final 5 minutes.

I agree with Barbar in the overall summation of Archies Dad's punt kicks. There was too much kicking from the hand from both sides, and a lot of it was aimless, but I don't think that he kicked excessively compared to the rest.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Good stadium, terrible crowd. That screaming goat noise thing <- fuckheads.

The game was a bit of a let down, but then I guess that was to be expected after what we had been presented with the last month and a half.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Is your question about the number of aimless place kicks or aimless drop kick, or the number of times he should have drop kicked the ball in the final 5 minutes.

I agree with Barbar in the overall summation of Archies Dad's punt kicks. There was too much kicking from the hand from both sides, and a lot of it was aimless, but I don't think that he kicked excessively compared to the rest.
The whole match was a bit aimless. The ABs would be salivating at the thought of QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 on Saturday's performance. Although, as has been pointed out, none of his competitors went that well either. Dare I say, the legacy of Deans - 6 years in charge and we don't have a clear 1st choice 10 in the country. 6 years in charge (for the whole of JOC (James O'Connor)'s international career) and he puts him there for the last 3 games.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yeah but Ulugia's card was rubbish; and then the ref couldn't/wouldn't card him when he should have been
26,000 people, but obviously not Walsh & Ayoub saw arms in the tackle. Just another example of Walsh trying to make himself centre of attention. The reason he didn't give him a yellow after the punch (which he should have), was because 2 yellows = red and a send off and judiciary appearance might have shown the error in the 1st card.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah but Ulugia's card was rubbish; and then the ref couldn't/wouldn't card him when he should have been

Best thing Walsh did all game. I am glad he had the sense to see that he stuffed up with the card and had the sense to see that what a second card would do unjustly.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Love Bon Jovi.
While there was about 25,000 at game which is a terrific number for the Tahs the bloody stadium is just so big it doesn't seem to have the same atmosphere as do the smaller grounds including Suncorp. Have never been to SFS - what is its capacity and wonder why more Tahs games are not played there ???

$$$

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
26,000 people, but obviously not Walsh & Ayoub saw arms in the tackle. Just another example of Walsh trying to make himself centre of attention. The reason he didn't give him a yellow after the punch (which he should have), was because 2 yellows = red and a send off and judiciary appearance might have shown the error in the 1st card.
I'm not so sure.
I'm just putting this out there - obviously I'm leaning toward the view the view that Ullugia was guilty:
"(g)
Dangerous charging. A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without trying to grasp that player."
Law 10.4.
The argument supporting Walsh's decision is that Ulugia did not "try to grasp" his opponent.
This style of "tackle" goes unpenalised most of the time on the presumed basis that movement of the arms in the general direction of the ball carrier, as opposed to the arms being braced by the side of the body, resembles an attempt by the tackler to grasp the ball carrier.
Many times, including on Saturday night, that appearance is not matched by a true attempt to grasp him.
I would have been indifferent if nothing had been done about it.
I think the subsequent failure to show Ulugia a 2nd yellow is just evidence of Walsh's reported lack of bottle when it counts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Not to your point IS, but I have an ongoing problem with this kind of thing whoever gets penalised.

JdV got a card for the Stormers in similar circumstances and there's probably about one card per round for it, on average.

I was at the game and haven't seen my recording yet to check the incident; so I am not 100% sure if what I am going to write is pertinent or not — but I just wanted a chance to get this out there.

Often a defender goes to tackle a ball-runner and the guy releases the ball just before he gets nabbed. The tackler realises, too late, that the ball won't be in his target's hands when contact is made so, instinctively, he doesn't use his arms so as not to be sanctioned for a late tackle.

But his body is still in motion and the result often looks worse to the officials. Not only is it late, but also it is a shoulder charge because he didn't use his arms. The defender would have been treated better had he actually tackled the guy.

Not applicable to Ulugia? As you were then.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PS - as folks no doubt have written in this thread: the match was a poor advertisement for Australian rugby, whatever the excuses.

Both sides looked like cellar dwellers, and about the only exciting player was Big Willie.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Agree, lots of dropped ball, kicking etc
BUT was an incredibly exciting and close game between 2 teams with a history.
tough and hard contact with the result determined in the last few minutes. Lots of match-ups between players and i suppose, coaches. There was lots to play for and play they did.

Maybe a game of sevens would be a better advertisement haha

hughbert

Herbert Moran (7)
Cooper threw two intercept passes (that I remember) and one of them went for a try.

I haven't seen much of the reds this year, but have heard plenty about Quade maturing and having the flexibility in his game to change his approach when needed.

If he's going to throw no-look flick passes to the opposition, I think I'd rather To'omua.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cooper threw two intercept passes (that I remember) and one of them went for a try.

I haven't seen much of the reds this year, but have heard plenty about Quade maturing and having the flexibility in his game to change his approach when needed.

If he's going to throw no-look flick passes to the opposition, I think I'd rather To'omua.

This stuff really starts to get tiresome after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.