• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Brumbies RD 14 Saturday 18th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Foxtel would probably not agree to this or the Reds game being played in the arvo, so maybe worth having the Crusaders game at Homebush on a Sunday arvo (if we play them) in 2014. Then either the Reds or Brumbies game can be on at the SFS.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Paddy Ryan and Drew Mitchell are starting this week.

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Sitaleki Timani
5. Kane Douglas
6. Dave Dennis
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Brendan McKibbin
10. Bernard Foley
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Rob Horne
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Cam Crawford
15. Israel Folau

16. John Ulugia
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Will Skelton
19. Mitchell Chapman
20. Matt Lucas
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Peter Betham

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The Waratahs are playing their best rugby in years and facing a must-win match against a bitter rival. If the fans don't get out for this one, then they're hardly fans at all.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is a hard one to be certain of. They're putting the best two games of the season there. You'd expect the matches to have the highest crowds regardless of location.

From my understanding, the Tahs will make significantly more money from 30k at ANZ / Stadium Australia than 30k at Allianz / SFS. That is why the Rabbitohs have their home ground out there instead of at the SFS. With a smallish crowd at SFS you apparently bleed money.

Don't even mention money from food or drink sales, as my understanding is that they all go to the stadium or private caterers who run the food and drink stalls. Sports clubs only make money on the ticket sales.

I am not a fan of the travel to / from Homebush either, but currently it beats the hell out of the public transport mess that is Moore Park. It is usually faster and more convenient to walk into the city than take a bus after a game. Many people still have to park at Moore Park as the transport is inadequate. The people who prefer Moore Park due to the location live in the inner city or east.

Of course, 20k at the SFS should have a better atmosphere and look on TV than 20k at Homebush.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Skelton and Chapman on the bench? Not sure about that, against the Brumbies I'd prefer McCutcheon - the Brumbies will be hard at the breakdown once again.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
From my understanding, the Tahs will make significantly more money from 30k at ANZ / Stadium Australia than 30k at Allianz / SFS. That is why the Rabbitohs have their home ground out there instead of at the SFS. With a smallish crowd at SFS you apparently bleed money.

Don't even mention money from food or drink sales, as my understanding is that they all go to the stadium or private caterers who run the food and drink stalls. Sports clubs only make money on the ticket sales.

I am not a fan of the travel to / from Homebush either, but currently it beats the hell out of the public transport mess that is Moore Park. It is usually faster and more convenient to walk into the city than take a bus after a game. Many people still have to park at Moore Park as the transport is inadequate. The people who prefer Moore Park due to the location live in the inner city or east.

Of course, 20k at the SFS should have a better atmosphere and look on TV than 20k at Homebush.
As someone who works in the sports broadcast industry, I can confirm these statements.....

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Its going to a pain to get to ANZ on Saturday probably take me the guts of an hour and a half each way from Bondi. That said it is going to be a massive game and I can't wait for it, for all the annoyance of getting there once the game kicks off it'll all go out the window (providing the Tahs win of course!).

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Its going to a pain to get to ANZ on Saturday probably take me the guts of an hour and a half each way from Bondi. That said it is going to be a massive game and I can't wait for it, for all the annoyance of getting there once the game kicks off it'll all go out the window (providing the Tahs win of course!).

Nah, it's much quicker than that. If you live in the Junction, you just get a train to Central and then switch over to the express train to Olympic Park -- they leave from one of the inter-city platforms in the old, upstairs part of the station.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Waratahs are playing their best rugby in years and facing a must-win match against a bitter rival. If the fans don't get out for this one, then they're hardly fans at all.
Be fair, the Stormers was on my 40th birthday so I was too busy getting slaughtered with my family to get to the match.

I will be at the Brumbies match out at Homebush hell.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
I would make the drive from Canberra, but I've already seen the Tahs beaten by the Brumbies live this year. Think I'll just watch it on Fox this time. ;)

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
From my understanding, the Tahs will make significantly more money from 30k at ANZ / Stadium Australia than 30k at Allianz / SFS.

The Tahs 2012 Annual Report (pg 32) shows the Tahs get over $1.3 mil from ANZ Stadium for the two games out there. Hard to knock back this amount of money if the crowds don't improve at the SFS.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Paddy Ryan and Drew Mitchell are starting this week.

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Paddy Ryan
4. Sitaleki Timani
5. Kane Douglas
6. Dave Dennis
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Brendan McKibbin
10. Bernard Foley
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Rob Horne
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Cam Crawford
15. Israel Folau

16. John Ulugia
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Will Skelton
19. Mitchell Chapman
20. Matt Lucas
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Peter Betham

I reckon this is close to the best team the tahs have put out in years. Only real weakness is McKibbin.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Looks like it, Bowside, and yet good Super squaddies like McCutcheon and Kingston can't make the 22. What can we do about McKibbin? Send him a year's supply of free haggis? Put sand in his petrol tank?

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Looks like it, Bowside, and yet good Super squaddies like McCutcheon and Kingston can't make the 22. What can we do about McKibbin? Send him a year's supply of free haggis? Put sand in his petrol tank?
Maybe its through tartan-tinted glasses but I dont think McKibbin is that bad - yes he is not world-class and not the quickest ball but I dont think he causes any real weakness in the side and if anything he is made to look worse by Foley, who I think is the real weakness in the side.
Lucas is too small for Super 15 - Hart is the better bench option for me.
Either way hopefully its a great two games on Saturday.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Foley, who I think is the real weakness in the side.
Lucas is too small for Super 15 - Hart is the better bench option for me.
No, Foley is improving. The weakness is at 9. Of the three, Lucas at least has potential, the other two are journeymen.

Size is not the requirement for your halfback. If they've got the skills, 80kg players like Lucas can make it in pro rugby, as shown by guys like Gio Aplon, Shane Williams, George Gregan.

Will Genia weighs in a bit heavier at 85kg - but Lucas, Genia and Gregan are all around the 5' 8½" mark.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lucas does have a far superior pass to McKibbin but he also takes longer to let go of the ball, taking steps before he passes.

Personally I think McKibbin has improved a lot in the last few weeks. The time to drop him in favour of Lucas has certainly passed. McKibbin is a better footballer in other areas of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.