• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
tranquility said:
that joel rapana bloke played first grade at the titans and did some freakish stuff. has a set of jet shoes, and is a good finisher. good pickup.

That's his brother Jordan that you are thinking of. Joel I don't believe played in the NRL, but if he is anything like his brother then he will be really exciting.

T

tranquility

why are the force not in the market for dave dennis? you guys dont have any locks or a standout seasoned blindside. (unless you include hodgson) and for those who know abit about the sydney comp will he make the step up without too much difficulty?

also what ever happened to pat o'connor?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Force will play pre season warmups on Newlands aganst the Stormers and Sharks

The following games have been announced:

Stormers v Western Force (Saturday 23 January, 5pm)
Sharks v Western Force (Tuesday 26 January, 7pm)
Stormers v Sharks (Friday 29 January, 7pm)

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
tranquility said:
why are the force not in the market for dave dennis? you guys dont have any locks or a standout seasoned blindside. (unless you include hodgson) and for those who know abit about the sydney comp will he make the step up without too much difficulty?

also what ever happened to pat o'connor?

There is Nathan Sharpe, Tom Hocking, Sam Wykes, Richard Stanford and Luke Jones who can all play lock.
And then Richard Stanford, Sam Wykes, Matt Hodgson, Richard Brown and Ben McCalman for blindside.

This is some older seasoned players and some young up and comers. I dont think there is room for David Dennis, if they needed to fight for him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sharpe and Hocking are the only real locks.

Wykes should be a 6 at the Super level. He is too skinny and not physical enough to be be a starting lock though he has done so. He is a skilful player and his best role would be as a 6 who could switch to lock for part of the game or to cover 6/lock on the bench.

Likewise Stanford should also be a 6 at the Super level. He isn't tough enough to make a difference in the tight stuff or rather, he has never shown it to me.

Luke Jones is on tour with the Oz schools team. At the schools level he is like a Hugh McMeniman but don't look for him to play lock in the S14 in 2010. He needs at least one year of gym work, and better two before he can mix it on the veldt. One thing in his favour is that he is as hard as nails.

I expect big things from Luke in a couple of years time, but talk is cheap.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
DSC00022.JPG

This is WA scrum coach Matt Tink. Anyone know anything about him?

W

waratahs_2010

Lee Grant said:

Wykes should be a 6 at the Super level. He is too skinny and not physical enough to be be a starting lock though he has done so. He is a skilful player and his best role would be as a 6 who could switch to lock for part of the game or to cover 6/lock on the bench.

Likewise Stanford should also be a 6 at the Super level. He isn't tough enough to make a difference in the tight stuff or rather, he has never shown it to me.

Luke Jones is on tour with the Oz schools team. At the schools level he is like a Hugh McMeniman but don't look for him to play lock in the S14 in 2010. He needs at least one year of gym work, and better two before he can mix it on the veldt. One thing in his favour is that he is as hard as nails.

Luke Jones is a great pick up. I was almost certain the Tahs would have a crack at him as he is a local boy but they probably couldn't match the Force's offer. He is very good and I rate him quite highly and he is pretty versatile which is a big plus. He will be well known in a year or two I think.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
waratahs_2010 said:
Lee Grant said:

Luke Jones is a great pick up. I was almost certain the Tahs would have a crack at him as he is a local boy but they probably couldn't match the Force's offer. He is very good and I rate him quite highly and he is pretty versatile which is a big plus. He will be well known in a year or two I think.
At Ballymore I was gobsmacke at the size of the second rows at this years schools match. If this boy has the fitness he will go places. Who was his second row partner, because he was taller?

W

waratahs_2010

spectator said:
waratahs_2010 said:
Lee Grant said:

At Ballymore I was gobsmacke at the size of the second rows at this years schools match. If this boy has the fitness he will go places. Who was his second row partner, because he was taller?

Greg Peterson from Scots College was his second row partner. He is a very tall kid, almost 2 metres tall if not 2 metres. He is in the Junior Waratahs Professional set-up next season.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
The program had both those guys at over 2.0 metres. with them and PAE in the front row that is one of the biggest schoolboy packs in recent times.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I went onto the ground at the end of one of the NSW Schools games at Knox a few months back to have a look at the players. Literally.

I like to do that because you can get a feel an indication of their size and bulk that goes beyond the stats.

Jones didn't look as tall as his official stats show, but Peterson is massive - as I have said many times - he is built like Dan Vickerman, and signs are that he has the same grunt and lineout ability. But we'll have to see him at the senior level first before we start stroking the salami.

Anybody who wants more details should look at the G&G Schoolboys forums and my posts there and that of others. Bugger all of you fellows pay a visit there and some of you will think that you are Jones and Peterson experts in a year or two, but not know a lot about them.

Speckie

Jones didn't have his best day in that test match against NZ Schools but he is a 3M type of player with a bit of Rocky. Queenslander PAE is one of the very few schoolboy THPs who I could nominate as a sure Super player whilst he was still at school. He's probably the only one.

The puzzle is: I haven't seen any news that the Reds Academy has nabbed PAE. Anybody know for sure? [That means that a link should be provided.]

Jones could be anything in our game. I saw him at Rat Park for CHS against CAS and he was no.8. Later he was lock but went to 6 when substitutions were made. Making Oz Schools A in Year 11 in 2008 says it all.

Funny thing is though: the Force have him as a rookie next year but there is nothing mentioned for after that. Maybe he wanted to have a look at Perth to see it he would like it - or it maybe vice versa. Would love to see him back in the big smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.