• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Godwin play against the crusaders shows he deserves a starting berth.

He gets a bad wrap but I didnt mind Harvey for a 29 year old super rugby debutant he did well his goal kicking kept the force in a lot of games.

Back line should be 9.mathewson 10. Sias 11. Mafi 12. SNK/Godwin 13.cummins 14. Wara/ rasolea 15. SNK/Godwin

Godwin has a solid running game as well as play making skill so I am not oppose to him at fullback but if he can tackle send him to 12.

M

Moono75

Is it too early to tip Force for the flag in 2013......Christmas decorations are out! Too early?

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)

Back line should be 9.mathewson 10. Sias 11. Mafi 12. SNK/Godwin 13.cummins 14. Wara/ rasolea 15. SNK/Godwin

If Godwin kills it in the pre-season, and earns the spot, then we'll be blessed. But I don't think he should be handed the spot based on his performance in less than half a game.

And isn't Rasolea a center?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
If Godwin kills it in the pre-season, and earns the spot, then we'll be blessed. But I don't think he should be handed the spot based on his performance in less than half a game.

And isn't Rasolea a center?

He is a centre but let's see if he can crawl before he walks besides cummins defence needs to be there to steady the midfield

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
He is a centre but let's see if he can crawl before he walks besides cummins defence needs to be there to steady the midfield

Fair enough. He looks like a big body and a guy who can break tackles and get over the gainline. Judging by the few performances I've seen from him in the 7's, he has good footwork as well (probably wouldn't be in the team if he didn't). Hope he pans out.

He wouldn't be the 2nd ball player like a Godwin, but if he pans out he could be the midfield thrust we've been sorely lacking.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Force need a big signing...no sorry at least 2 big signings. Rumour has it they r looking at Aussie players in Japan.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Western Force director of coaching Michael Foley has at least two vacancies to fill as he builds for the 2013 Super Rugby season.
The squad is evenly split with 14 forwards and 14 backs but there is a possibility more spots could become available.
Foley already has five back- rowers but is looking for a mobile second-rower who can also fill the No.6 role and impose himself physically on a game.
Two likely candidates are former Wallaby and Queensland Red Hugh McMeniman and former Reds, Brumbies and Wallaby tourist Mitchell Chapman. But both are contracted to Japanese clubs and are unlikely to be available until February.
Foley is committed to developing players for the long term and Sydney University second-rower Ollie Atkins, who was called up for the Force's final three games last season, is on the radar.
Foley also needs a new midfield strike weapon to help spark the back line outside new signings, halves Sias Ebershon and Alby Mathewson.
"My focus is on getting the right people together," he said. "It is important for me to consider local talent then look nationally and where possible internationally.
"Development has to be a focus, but we have to balance it with experience.
"There are a number of club guys who are impressing, but we need senior guys around them."
One of the current openings has been created because young scrum-half Justin Turner is already ruled out of next season. He re-injured his right knee playing for Eastwood in the Shute Shield and faces the third major operation on the knee in three years.
Foley is hopeful of keeping local product Turner in the Force program.
"He is a young guy with heaps of promise. We want to make sure we get him on his feet," he said.
Foley is close to finalising his coaching team, after former Force foundation coach John Mulvihill turned down an offer to work under him.
Meanwhile, Force winger Nick Cummins is in line for his Wallabies debut in front of his home crowd at Patersons Stadium in next Saturday's Rugby Championship clash against South Africa.
Cummins and Reds winger Dom Shipperley will challenge for the spot left open by the Waratahs Drew Mitchell who is injured.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/basketball/14724587/force-on-lookout-for-more-top-guns/

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The force pack will be strong next year but without a good backline the team won't win games. Force badly need a top class 12, and unfortunately there is not a lot of quality 12's in club teams at the moment.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well I hope the Force get MMM if the Reds don't 1st. Would love to see him in Australia next year.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The force pack will be strong next year but without a good backline the team won't win games. Force badly need a top class 12, and unfortunately there is not a lot of quality 12's in club teams at the moment.

I disagree i think there are some very good 12's out in clubland at the moment its just a matter if force want to roll the dice or not.

Chris Tuatara from Norths in sydney i think has been very good this season and has plenty of pro experience form hsi time in league

Former Reds & Toyota Verblitz player Brett Gillespie is running around brisbane club rugby

thats two off the top of my head both better than stanley

T

tranquility

Brett Gillespie could definitely be worth a look, but I'm not sure you could consider him better than Stanley based on club rugby in Brisbane. I still think Stanley could be quite good, given a decent flyhalf and some front foot ball.

WesternKiwi

Bob McCowan (2)

He gets a bad wrap but I didnt mind Harvey for a 29 year old super rugby debutant he did well his goal kicking kept the force in a lot of games.

Godwin has a solid running game as well as play making skill so I am not oppose to him at fullback but if he can tackle send him to 12.

Will Tupou WILL be in the starting line up at 13 - He was very consistant this year, going from strenght to strenght........ 2013 with a half decent attack coach or backline coach (what ever you want to call him/her) will only see him gain more rugby knowledge and don't be surpised to see him in a Wallabies Jersey.

......also, going from the lack of Backline coaching and the Sharpe/Pocock dominated forward game plan, we can't really comment to much on the force backs, I thinks it was a Farked year for all and just need to start again with better support staff in place. (Harvey though is ITM cup level at very best)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
It'd be good to have Mitchell Chapman as a lock/6. He runs a line-out well. Adds bulk to the pack too.

Is there a chance of that happening? I thought he was Brumbies through and through, surely they'd have him back to fill the 2nd rower spot they still have.

Re: Tupou, he's a very good player to play a specific type of rugby (crash balls, kick and defend well, etc.). He's great if you want to play that way but Aussie fans hate it.

Personally, I can enjoy a well executed game plan regardless of what it may be.

WesternKiwi

Bob McCowan (2)
From memory he is quite mobile as well. Though he's no sharpie, he will create competition between himself, Wykes, Lynn and Battye for the three spots.

Time for Wykes to step up next season.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
A colleague told me today that he heard Justin Turner has blown his knee out again and will need another reconstruction. Did I just miss this and it is old news or has he got his wires crossed? I hope not, because I think this would be his 3rd.

I just checked The West and can't see the story on there.

Edit: Just found it buried in the article Gaffachino posted. Poor bastard, wish him all the best. I guess this now means it is between Sheehan and Holmes for the 3rd spot. Hope they keep Sheehan, he has been a great servant of the club.

T

tranquility

Chapman is probably the last physical Lock on the planet. He is the epitome of a LH lock. If you think Sharpey doesn't push in the scrum, he's Brad Thorn in comparison to Chapman.

Chapman is a very good lineout man, and makes his tackles etc. But he certainly does not "add bulk to a pack".

T

tranquility

A colleague told me today that he heard Justin Turner has blown his knee out again and will need another reconstruction. Did I just miss this and it is old news or has he got his wires crossed? I hope not, because I think this would be his 3rd.

I just checked The West and can't see the story on there.

If thats true, that could be curtains. At least in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.