• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
According to the Herald Sun, Brache and Heiberg are already signed: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...-for-next-season/story-fnibc42r-1226668041012

Our forward pack looks as usual very good, we needed to sign a more reliabale lock and Steenkamp was signed, then most of the work is done, we only have bech spots to fill with handy and reliable players, especially a hooker and a n.8

Steenkamp is an excellent signing. You can rely on that bloke and it's good to see you're looking to SAfricans the same way the Rebels should be looking to PIslanders, you've got to play to your rugby public afterall.

As for Branche and Heiberg, I don't really rate either signing and I think they would have done better to get a 25yo Aus player out of the SS or even get a bloke like Matt Carraro back. Players in their mid to late twenties who won't set the world alight but won't let you down are a dime and dozen, why outsource?

Though, here's an interesting story on Branche: http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/usa-rugby-in-talks-with-western.html

With the USA playing in the Pacific Nations Cup and with plenty of Super Rugby teams releasing players to play in that tournament, maybe you've just bought the US's new starting centre.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
It's defiantly not a bad backline. If it comes to fruition.

Lets have a look.
9 - Albly, I would only pick genia over Alby. White would also be on par and his kicking game might give him an edge. Lets face it. If Alby was Australian he would of been bought into the wallabies squad. Controversial? So let's say we have the second best tied with white half back?

10 - this is we're we are let down. However all we need is someone who can distribute well and make decisions. We don't need a beal or JOC (James O'Connor) in that position. A guy like foley has come a mile so lets hope Holmes does well. Definitely behind quade , foley and To'omua but could be on par with hegerty. This guy has some serious potential under the it coaching management and game plan.

11 - cummins. The second best winger in the country right now behind falou .Defiantly Better then Tomane, better then Speight, Crawford, Davies. Damn we have some good wingers going around. Happy to place this bloke in the starting wallabies line up.

12 - Godwin. Arguably one of the best inside centres in the Aus conference. Has a lot to learn but if this yet is anything to go by he will be pushing from a EOYT spot next year and maybe more. Obviously Lilo is number 1 but I think Godwin can up the ante next year. I would rate Godwin 2nd. I would honestly put him in any starting Australian backline behind Lilo right now.

13 - junior - well we have to put everyone in front of this young man. Taps faaigna, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Inman, but he is still a solid young bloke who can improve on this year. He had great game last week. We just wedging to run hard and Godwin can make him look great if he stays of his shoulder and runs good lines off him. Not a problem.

14 - Morahan. Well this bloke could be a bench option for the wallabies next year. There is no limit on what he could do. People might pick Speight over him and rightly so but after next year this might change. I would foresee him being in the top 4 wingers in Aus after next year if he has an injury free one.

15 - JOC (James O'Connor). When on song one of the best players in the world. If we can sort out his dramas and I think the force are best equipped to do this he can go a long way and cement a starting back 3 spot for the wallabies. Question is winger or fullback. I would think FB so he can be used easily in second fase play in the 10 position occasionally. Either way I think Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) are going to end up a Bench player under link. I don't think there is room for both of them unless we play JOC (James O'Connor) on the Wing and have a back 3 of falou, JOC (James O'Connor),beal for the wobbs. Sidetracked. Lol

That's a handy backline and we actually have some not to bad fellas on the bench. Prior has to show a lot though. DhP and hayward ate good bench options as well.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's defiantly not a bad backline. If it comes to fruition.

Lets have a look.
9 - Albly, I would only pick genia over Alby. White would also be on par and his kicking game might give him an edge. Lets face it. If Alby was Australian he would of been bought into the wallabies squad. Controversial? So let's say we have the second best tied with white half back?

10 - this is we're we are let down. However all we need is someone who can distribute well and make decisions. We don't need a beal or JOC (James O'Connor) in that position. A guy like foley has come a mile so lets hope Holmes does well. Definitely behind quade , foley and To'omua but could be on par with hegerty. This guy has some serious potential under the it coaching management and game plan.

11 - cummins. The second best winger in the country right now behind falou .Defiantly Better then Tomane, better then Speight, Crawford, Davies. Damn we have some good wingers going around. Happy to place this bloke in the starting wallabies line up.

12 - Godwin. Arguably one of the best inside centres in the Aus conference. Has a lot to learn but if this yet is anything to go by he will be pushing from a EOYT spot next year and maybe more. Obviously Lilo is number 1 but I think Godwin can up the ante next year. I would rate Godwin 2nd. I would honestly put him in any starting Australian backline behind Lilo right now.

13 - junior - well we have to put everyone in front of this young man. Taps faaigna, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Inman, but he is still a solid young bloke who can improve on this year. He had great game last week. We just wedging to run hard and Godwin can make him look great if he stays of his shoulder and runs good lines off him. Not a problem.

14 - Morahan. Well this bloke could be a bench option for the wallabies next year. There is no limit on what he could do. People might pick Speight over him and rightly so but after next year this might change. I would foresee him being in the top 4 wingers in Aus after next year if he has an injury free one.

15 - JOC (James O'Connor). When on song one of the best players in the world. If we can sort out his dramas and I think the force are best equipped to do this he can go a long way and cement a starting back 3 spot for the wallabies. Question is winger or fullback. I would think FB so he can be used easily in second fase play in the 10 position occasionally. Either way I think Beale or JOC (James O'Connor) are going to end up a Bench player under link. I don't think there is room for both of them unless we play JOC (James O'Connor) on the Wing and have a back 3 of falou, JOC (James O'Connor),beal for the wobbs. Sidetracked. Lol

That's a handy backline and we actually have some not to bad fellas on the bench. Prior has to show a lot though. DhP and hayward ate good bench options as well.

Cummins better then Speight, your kidding on what form over this season ?

Morahan, who went to the force because he couldnt get a game in Red will now be the next big winger for the Wallabies ? in a position where his not even the best winger in his team actually he would be 3rd behind JOC (James O'Connor) and Cummins.

Speight is up there with Izzy for the best wingers then I would say Cummins is the same as Tomane but older.

Shipperley, Crawford, Bethaham, English Davis Morahan are the next batch coming along.

Throw in that JOC (James O'Connor) will probably only get a run in the wobs on the wing you are going to be pretty tough seeing Morahan being in the top 4 wingers in the country..

It's a nice team but I suspect you will be fighting 3rd ish in the oz conference next year..

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Cummins better then Speight, your kidding on what form over this season ?

Morahan, who went to the force because he couldnt get a game in Red will now be the next big winger for the Wallabies ? in a position where his not even the best winger in his team actually he would be 3rd behind JOC (James O'Connor) and Cummins.

Speight is up there with Izzy for the best wingers then I would say Cummins is the same as Tomane but older.

Shipperley, Crawford, Bethaham, English Davis Morahan are the next batch coming along.

Throw in that JOC (James O'Connor) will probably only get a run in the wobs on the wing you are going to be pretty tough seeing Morahan being in the top 4 wingers in the country..

It's a nice team but I suspect you will be fighting 3rd ish in the oz conference next year..
Firstly I would be happy for 3rd next year considering there is a possibility for making the finals being 3rd in your conference.

Speight is great. I rate cummins higher. I really don't understand why everyone doesn't rate cummins as highly as he should be. Not to mention he has wallaby caps and good ones at that. His defence s better then Speight and miles better then Tomane. As for Morahan. This is a prediction. He is a great player and always has Been. I thought he had some injury woes earlier this year? I may be wrong. Morahan reminds me of Shepard. Lets hope he can stay of the field unlike Shepard though. Morahan has been a stand out for the reds in the back half of this season and has surely asked
Questions why he was not picked earlier. One more thing would be I see izzy going into the centres next year. He needs to see the ball more. This will open up the space for more wingers.

Morahan is a huge loss to the reds.

How good are our winger stocks!

M

Moono75

The potential in the backs mean nothing unless we have a good 10 to distribute and run the backline. Is Holmes the man....we will have to wait and see.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Speight and Cummins aren’t really good comparisons.

Whilst both 11 and 14 are wingers the 2 are fast becoming very different positions with very different skill sets no more just left and right wing.

Cummins, Ioane and Tomane are all very similar crash and bash wingers who come in tight to make metres where as Speight and Folau are great finishes with great foot work usually as the end of the line.

I think Cummins is the next best 11 after Ioane (who has been living on past deeds for a while now) with Tomane close behind.

Speight and Folau are close but I would have Folau with his aerial work.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm sorry, I didn't really want to start an argument with my statement, although I really think next year's backline is going to be "very good" (ok?) if we keep Cummins and sign O'Connor. If we don't, well, we'll have a different backline.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
What's the deal with the very promising local 9 you guys had 2 years back? Still battling injuries?

One would imagine you're looking for a genuine back-up to sit behind Alby next year and none of the 3rd string Saffas you've signed play there.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What's the deal with the very promising local 9 you guys had 2 years back? Still battling injuries?

One would imagine you're looking for a genuine back-up to sit behind Alby next year and none of the 3rd string Saffas you've signed play there.

Justin Turner is the bloke I think you are referring to. Crocked with knee injuries from memory.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yep Justin Turner he did his knee again last year year and has been out ever since.

ATM he is working as a Development officer at Rugby WA.

Foley said when he first came to the club that he wanted to keep him close with the view of bring him back to super rugby if he is able.

Will have to wait and see but i doubt it will be next year. Prior has been brought over with the view of replacing Alby.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Prior needs to lift his game. He hasn't had much game time behind white though. Maybe that's what he needs. In 2012 he has a great year

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fuck Speight. Western force thread

Whatever it was realevant to the thread convo..

anyway Prior's been pretty good and was fighting with White for number 9 last year but it would seem probably being on the bench and not getting much first team action his been off the pace.

He is a good player but I believe needs first team football to further develop. Hopefully shares the load with Alby next year so his ready to start 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.