• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Meehan leaving after only one year? Yeah, he signed up for only one year but if he did as good a job as he set out to do surely he'd be looking to stay a bit longer than one year. The Force haven't had a good run with assistant coaches these last few years: good blokes like Stiles and Blake have left (or been punted) and now Meehan's gone in the blink of an eye.

I can't help thinking this isn't good for stability and building up a new(ish) team's culture. Is this latest departure due to a clash with Foley? Meehan and Axle worked together at Bath some 10 years ago, they should've both known what they were in for.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What a clown.
On what basis are South African players rejected by their 5 franchises,better prospects than Australian players rejected by their 5 franchises?
last I heard it's much easier/cheaper to resettle Australians from the eastern seaboard than to obtain visa's etc international airfares support networks etc
What is the real difference between importing SA units and importing Shute Shield units? In terms of logistics, a visa?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
What a **** clown.
On what basis are South African players rejected by their 5 franchises,better prospects than Australian players rejected by their 5 franchises?
last I heard it's much easier/cheaper to resettle Australians from the eastern seaboard than to obtain visa's etc international airfares support networks etc

I think you might find those astoundingly talented blokes from the East tend to use "family reasons" to cry off/extract a better package and so forth

The Saffers know they're onto a good thing and stay.

Bullets or beaches? Simple argument for these blokes.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What is the real difference between importing SA units and importing Shute Shield units? In terms of logistics, a visa?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I would have thought the fact that he is talking about 20,seriously changes the logistics of it all.
One here one there from the East are easily digested within their current system,importing 20 means some serious support network.
In any case,Foley's track record in successfully identifying,recruiting and coaching Saffers is appalling.
At the Tah's they tried Hendik Roodt...fail
Pretorious.......massive fail
Force Ebersohn......fail.
Maybe he should wait until he has at least one success before he buys in bulk.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would have thought the fact that he is talking about 20,seriously changes the logistics of it all.
One here one there from the East are easily digested within their current system,importing 20 means some serious support network.
In any case,Foley's track record in successfully identifying,recruiting and coaching Saffers is appalling.
At the Tah's they tried Hendik Roodt.fail
Pretorious...massive fail
Force Ebersohn..fail.
Signed before Foley was even in the Picture

and not even the cheetahs are starting Serel.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He was a regular starter/star when the Tahs signed him.Which is more to the point about Foley having a knack of picking up SA talent.
If he can't successfully coach identified talent from there,what hope is he of successfully coaching their discards?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
At the Tah's they tried Hendik Roodt.fail
Pretorious...massive fail
Force Ebersohn..fail.

You have two different arguments there, lets start on the first.

The cost of the support network. Why would the support network be more expensive for a 19yro from J'burg, than a 19yro from Sydney? I see a room in a house costing the same in expenses for either.

As for Foley's ability to pick talent, why would he be any better picking Aus talent than SA talent?

Now a bit of supposition, it maybe that the Force is sick of paying overs to get east coast kids to move across the Nullarbor and they believe raiding SA will provide far better value

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
He was a regular starter/star when the Tahs signed him.Which is more to the point about Foley having a knack of picking up SA talent.
If he can't successfully coach identified talent from there,what hope is he of successfully coaching their discards?

God you Eastern States guys like to whinge. You complain when we recruit established players from Eastern States teams. You complain when we recruit young players with a lot of potential from Eastern States academies. Now you are complaining that we are looking at recruiting from overseas. The Force are doing a reasonable job of developing local talent but it is not nearly enough make a competitive squad.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm happy for you guys to recruit as many as you can use from over here.
I just don't get the fascination for recruiting rejects from South Africa or discards from League etc.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Now a bit of supposition, it maybe that the Force is sick of paying overs to get east coast kids to move across the Nullarbor and they believe raiding SA will provide far better value

Not supposition. It's gospel.

All the professional sporting outfits in the West suffer from it. And with the E. States hegemony in rugby, it's far worse for the Force.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm happy for you guys to recruit as many as you can use from over here.
I just don't get the fascination for recruiting rejects from South Africa or discards from League etc.

I don't think we have a fascination with recruiting discards from League. We aren't the ones who were interested in Benji Marshall.

I don't think Foley is looking at rejects exactly. South Africa has a far bigger talent pool than Australia. There would be young guys who don't make teams like the U20s who still have the potential to develop into excellent players. It's the same in Australia but we don't have a third tier comp that comes anywhere near the Currie Cup and so a lot of those guys go off overseas, switch codes or give up.

So we are now potentially starting a Super B team series and we have a choice- supplement the local talent with the absolute dregs from Queensland and NSW or take a more talented crop of South African players. A crop which are less likely to piss off back East when they finally come good.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure whether to hit "Like" or not to that! On the plus side, he's a spectacularly talented bloke but on the negative he comes across as being a spectacular dick head.

Don't hit the like button. He is there because nobody wants him. He is likely to have a bug up his arse about this which brings into question his commitment to team and club. This won't end well for the Force me thinks.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Force continues commitment to local rugby

By RugbyWA Media Unit

The Pindan Premier Grade will be boosted by the return of Emirates Western Force players this week with more than 20 players involved in either a playing or coaching capacity.

While a number of players will return to the field with their club on Saturday, those unavailable to play will provide analysis and coaching for their teammates, with the experience to contribute towards a Level 2 Coaching qualification.

This is the most number of Force players involved with the local competition at any one time throughout the club’s eight year history.
More here

Good to see the players actually getting involved in the Perth Comp. This and bringing in players from SA will only strengthn the comp and increase the chance that we will have more WA players appearing in Force colours and hopefully long term Gold (Though they get that playing at Soaks :). )

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't think Foley is looking at rejects exactly. South Africa has a far bigger talent pool than Australia. There would be young guys who don't make teams like the U20s who still have the potential to develop into excellent players
I guess that due to the social and political situation in South Africa, even some of the best South-African players could be attracted by a job/study opportunity in Australia, like in the past Vickermann and Rathbone were. But, let's say it, it is risky and plus there's no reason to sign 20 players. One should try to sign the player he wants/needs.
Meanwhile JOC (James O'Connor) is talking to Saracens in England.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I guess that due to the social and political situation in South Africa, even some of the best South-African players could be attracted by a job/study opportunity in Australia, like in the past Vickermann and Rathbone were. But, let's say it, it is risky and plus there's no reason to sign 20 players. One should try to sign the player he wants/needs.
Meanwhile JOC (James O'Connor) is talking to Saracens in England.
Says Greg Growden.......nuff said

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

M

Moono75

Cant see JOC (James O'Connor) going overseas. World Cup is 2015. He would need to be back playing in Super Rugby for the start of 2015 season to build a case for selection and get in sync with his teammates.

M

Moono75

He's been a Wallaby for 4 years and still can't get in sync with his teammates...

....23.....maybe he's a slow learner?

Slim shouldn't you be in the "Holy Shit the Brumbies are in the the Super 15 Final and we could win" thread. Nothing to read in here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.