• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Recruiting Saffers to play in Perth has all sorts of things going for it. As Charger says, we'll take as many of them as we can in WA, because they come with skills and their progeny will be the WA born and raised Force players of the future. A lot of Saffers (across many professions, frankly) who come here never want to leave and I regard that as a good thing. It's much harder to get a NSW or QLD raised guy to stay and make an impact on the next generation of players.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If he is always going to select a 24 or 25 yo fringe player,ahead of a talented,but untested young player.It is logical to sign those kind of players.
Kudos for him giving Godwin a run,but he is the exception to the rule.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
In fairness, there have been some other talented youngsters who've been picked up too. Adam Coleman from the Two Blues is in the squad at lock, something that I'm very happy about and have been calling for over the last couple of seasons.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He is in the EPS,big difference to the main squad.
In any event Foley also signed Salesi Manu last year in the main squad,who was the same age.
Gave him a run off the bench in the last game of the year.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Western Force, the rugby union version of the England Cricket Team

The Force can't win.

Take players from QLD/NSW and we are the enemy for taking all of the up and coming talent. Take players from O/S and are now giving away oppurtunities for young aussies.

People on the east coast need to get over it. It's one or the other for the next 10 years until we can be self sufficient.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You should continue to do both.

Taking a few extra players away from the Shute Shield/Premier Rugby and the Tahs and Reds is a pretty small price to pay to help rugby grow in WA and Victoria.

Having more of a national audience will provide more money for rugby in Australia. The Wallabies are still the biggest source of revenue and creating a climate where those TV rights are more valuable is what will help the ARU best.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Mate, you guys are welcome to anyone the Tahs don't have room for.
There are more promising players in Oz than there are positions.
If you guys are happy with that strategy fine.
But recruiting experienced players,limits any upside IMO.

T

TOCC

The Force can't win.

Take players from QLD/NSW and we are the enemy for taking all of the up and coming talent. Take players from O/S and are now giving away oppurtunities for young aussies.

People on the east coast need to get over it. It's one or the other for the next 10 years until we can be self sufficient.

It was a joke buddy, read back a little bit and you will see I have been supporting the force recruiting from South Africa.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It was a joke buddy, read back a little bit and you will see I have been supporting the force recruiting from South Africa.
I thought so. I looked back a page and didn't see it.

I will admit that it does sit uneasily with me the reasoning from the Force that they are looking to SA is because east coast players are only coming here to try and get noticed and can't be relied upon to repay the investment put into them. I would hope that if an east coast based Aussie and SA player were equal in talent and attitude the Aussie would have to get the spot.

But at this point with a long period of continued mediocrity you just have to get on board and hope the coaching group knows what they are doing.

nb; The above post does not disqualify me from calling for Foleys head in the 4th round :)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I would hope that if an east coast based Aussie and SA player were equal in talent and attitude the Aussie would have to get the spot.

But at this point with a long period of continued mediocrity you just have to get on board and hope the coaching group knows what they are doing.

nb; The above post does not disqualify me from calling for Foleys head in the 4th round :)
The point is,equivalent Oz players to the SA signings have moved to Europe.
He is only signing the "fish that John West rejected"
Which goes to your next point about mediocrity.If you refuse to punt on raw talent,you are reliant on older mediocre talent.
Where will you be in 3 years time?
Answer: you will have a squad, that is predominantly aged and/or mediocre.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I thought so. I looked back a page and didn't see it.

I will admit that it does sit uneasily with me the reasoning from the Force that they are looking to SA is because east coast players are only coming here to try and get noticed and can't be relied upon to repay the investment put into them. I would hope that if an east coast based Aussie and SA player were equal in talent and attitude the Aussie would have to get the spot.

You mean like Nathan Sharp;)

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
attachment.php

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Can anyone advise on how the Force is going with signing up a Major sponsor? Its not a good look seeing a blank jersey.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Can anyone advise on how the Force is going with signing up a Major sponsor? Its not a good look seeing a blank jersey.

I have been probing for a few weeks through different outlets and all I get is the stock standard "discussions are still in progress and an announcement will be made when they are complete" I just wish it was sorted not a good look leading into a new season.

M

Moono75

Im sure the players signed so far haven't done so on the proviso that they will only be paid if a major sponsor comes on board. The Force is fine.....move on...teams to beat in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.