• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I reckon Sias will stay. Not sure what sort of Visa he is on but he canlt be too far away from applying for citizenship so if he is happy in Aus he will stay. They way he is playing he is establishing himself as one of the Force's most important players. If he goes back to the Cheetahs he will have no guarantees. Bloem vs Perth. Not much of a decision there unless he is close to his family of course.

Meanwhile Goosen has been linked with Racing Metro. At 22 years young that would be a mistake. Seems to me like there's a highway of players leaving SA. The Rand is getting weaker so it's no surprise.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I reckon Sias will stay. Not sure what sort of Visa he is on but he canlt be too far away from applying for citizenship so if he is happy in Aus he will stay. They way he is playing he is establishing himself as one of the Force's most important players. If he goes back to the Cheetahs he will have no guarantees. Bloem vs Perth. Not much of a decision there unless he is close to his family of course.

Meanwhile Goosen has been linked with Racing Metro. At 22 years young that would be a mistake. Seems to me like there's a highway of players leaving SA. The Rand is getting weaker so it's no surprise.
Naka Drotske must be a poor man-manger or coach if he is potentially left with one flyhalf for next season, and is trying to sign the flyhalf he unceremoniously discarded. It would make sense for Sias to stay in Perth so he can expand his options and be eligible for South Africa and Australia. Whether he loves the lifestyle in Australia enough to forego the money and be closer to his family though is another thing.

On Goosen, the fact that he would rather go to Racing and ride the pine behind Jonathan Sexton says to me that he has worries about his longevity. Would be handy to play under the tutelage of Jonathan Sexton and coach Ronan O'Gara, though.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some interesting observations - for what it's worth.......

One disappointing aspect of this Super XV season is the relatively few tries being scored.

6 games left and the Force (23) are only 3 tries less than they scored last season. An average of 2.3 tries per game.

Top of the table Sharks have averaged only 1.6 tries per game. With only the Bulls (1.5) and Lions (1.4) scoring less. The Stormers have averaged 1.9 and Rebels 1.8.

The Chiefs lead the way with an average of 3.2 tries per game with the rest as follows:
Hurricanes (3.0). Blues (2.8), Brumbies & Crusaders (2.7), Waratahs (2.6), Cheetahs & Highlanders (2.5), Reds (2.4).

These teams are always talked up by the media as playing "entertaining rugby" with attacking back lines and ability to score tries from anywhere.

The media has also been already talking-up the Wallabies, but 4 of the top try-scoring teams come from New Zealand.

Ask the Sea of Blue what they think about the entertaining rugby being played by a team with only 6 capped Wallabies??? The wins are coming from a strong, supportive team ethic and playing the game plan for the full 80 minutes.

Do the other Australian teams provide better entertainment with their significantly more capped Wallaby content? I suggest not.

Brumbies - Av. 2.7 - 10 Wallabies
Waratahs - Av. 2.6 - 16 Wallabies
Reds - Av. 2.4 - 14 Wallabies
Force - Av. 2.3 - 6 Wallabies
Rebels - Av. 1.8 - 2 Wallabies

The potential for new faces in the final mix of Link's Wallaby squad for the French tests and in preparation for next year's World Cup is going to make things very interesting........

M

Moono75

Sometimes with try scoring there is a blurred line between intent and ability. Some teams are entertaining because they have the intent but don't necessarily have the ability. Play with intent and commitment for 80 minutes and it doesn't matter how many test players you currently have, it'll be how many Test player you are making for the future.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Indeed....

Skelton's performance against the Force sums up his abilities - run through players for 5 minutes and then what?

Yeh Skelton is awesome but only lasts 20 min in a game. Coleman is impressing me.

Given that you guys support other clubs, you probably haven't seen every one of Skelton's games this year. When he has started, it would be fair to say that he's put in hard for probably 50-60 minutes and his aerobic fitness has improved markedly since the start of the season. Five or twenty minutes is a gross exaggeration, especially when you look at just how high his peak power output is.

I agree that right now Skelton is not a starting Wallaby. Neither is Coleman. But I can see a day, about three years down the track, when Skelton and Coleman might be the first choice Wallaby locks. Lots of water to flow under the bridge yet, but as a pairing I'd say they remind me a lot of Giffen/Eales in the way that their skills complement each other.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Given that you guys support other clubs, you probably haven't seen every one of Skelton's games this year. When he has started, it would be fair to say that he's put in hard for probably 50-60 minutes and his aerobic fitness has improved markedly since the start of the season. Five or twenty minutes is a gross exaggeration, especially when you look at just how high his peak power output is.

I agree that right now Skelton is not a starting Wallaby. Neither is Coleman. But I can see a day, about three years down the track, when Skelton and Coleman might be the first choice Wallaby locks. Lots of water to flow under the bridge yet, but as a pairing I'd say they remind me a lot of Giffen/Eales in the way that their skills complement each other.
I've seen every tahs game this year

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)

2 or 3 games when he has started he puffs out quick. I enjoy watching him play though

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
2 or 3 games when he has started he puffs out quick. I enjoy watching him play though

This is partly a result of his peak power output, which is very high by comparison with other players. Right now he delivers massive power output over short intervals, which is what his coach is looking for from him. His endurance (total power output over 80 minutes) is still developing and won't be at its peak till he's around 27, the sweet spot for locks I believe.

The key question mark over him is not whether his endurance will increase but whether his very large frame will be able to accommodate the potential for injury and re-injury. Unless he is carefully managed he is at risk of knee/ankle type injuries that will be re-injured due to the strains such a large body mass inflicts.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It might be one game too early to say this, but I think 3 wins will get Force into the finals when you consider the Crusaders and Highlanders play each other twice, and the Chiefs play the Hurricanes twice in the last 5 rounds. A BP against the Lions is important though.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The competition starts to get unpredictable now. Look at the weekend. My tips were terrible. The teams down the bottom start to make big upsets. The force need to step up big time. Hopefully the loss will aid that

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The last game agains the Reds is going to be brutal. They will fucking relish the chance to spoil our shot at the finals, if it is still on the line at that point.

M

Moono75

The biggest game for the Force is this week. A must win to stay in touch with the 6. Can't afford to drop back into the pack.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah great win by the boys last night and they are still well and truly in the hunt. It'll stay that way if they can continue to win the games they should and hopefully pick up some points in the ones they're not fancied in.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
That last try was priceless, without it the Force'd be languishing in 7th spot, sandwiched between the Brumbies and the chiefs.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
What a great effort this week. If anyone hasn't seen the press conference go and check it out. The way foley and Hodgson talk it's easy to tell they have a great relationship.

Also pointed out that it is a tough ask to go to NZ and win. We just got back from SA. Had one home game (some I. The force players were cranking early in the game) and now have a 6 day turn around to play the crusaders in New Zealand. Luckily the beak is the week after so we will see the boys throw everything at the saders.

Status
Not open for further replies.