• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Also pointed out that it is a tough ask to go to NZ and win. We just got back from SA. Had one home game (some I. The force players were cranking early in the game) and now have a 6 day turn around to play the crusaders in New Zealand. Luckily the beak is the week after so we will see the boys throw everything at the saders.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if it weren't for the 6 day turn around. Other teams have to go from SA to NZ through Perth.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How good was DHP in the game as well?​
After that yellow card where Cummins started to go berserk in attack, it seemed to rub off on Dane on the other wing.​
With Morahan still out, the Force back three stocks are looking good: Cummins, Hayward, DHP and Morahan.​

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah great win by the boys last night and they are still well and truly in the hunt. It'll stay that way if they can continue to win the games they should and hopefully pick up some points in the ones they're not fancied in.

A touch of reality required here. Last night the Force played the reserve team for one of the two bottom franchises. And nearly lost. Next week they play a top six team who seem to be back playing well at their home ground.

Hodgson is still playing really well. But McCalman has gone off the boil, as has Cottrell. Although still playing well they are not at their former peak. CTM has finally started to show his credentials and Holmes had a ripper outing. But Sias was very average, as were a number of the pack. The Crusaders are looking for a top two finish (should be in second spot if they hadn't tanked against the Sharks). I think a four-try drubbing is very much on the cards next Friday night.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
A touch of reality required here. Last night the Force played the reserve team for one of the two bottom franchises. And nearly lost. Next week they play a top six team who seem to be back playing well at their home ground.

Hodgson is still playing really well. But McCalman has gone off the boil, as has Cottrell. Although still playing well they are not at their former peak. CTM has finally started to show his credentials and Holmes had a ripper outing. But Sias was very average, as were a number of the pack. The Crusaders are looking for a top two finish (should be in second spot if they hadn't tanked against the Sharks). I think a four-try drubbing is very much on the cards next Friday night.
Completely agree we shouldn't even bother getting on the plane tomorrow just give the points the the crusaders now......

Fark me they didn't play a perfect game last night but they got the job done with a bonus point

Did you even watch the game last night? It was never going to be pretty it had been pissing down all day and was still raining well into the first half.

Hodgeson isn't playing "really well" he is on fire best forward in Australia right now (cue hooper anger).

McCalman is doing just fine And not sure you know who cottrell is but he has the 6 on his back and was ripping the lions to pieces last night even Marto said it looked like he Was trying to make a statement after being left out of the test squad.

Sure the lions had some players missing but let's have a look at the force players missing

MMM
Godwin
Alby
Morahan
Junior
Marcel

Those are just the starters then you have Falkner lowrens ect you get the point.

This is the best force team of all time after getting their 8 win of the year it may not be pretty but they get the job done you can bet they will be on that plane next week and will be out there to win.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)

A touch of reality or a touch of condescension?
We're in the top six with the Saders, or had you forget to mention it.
One average game against a team of reserves, and now McCalman is 'off the boil'?
Cottrell is playing as good as he has been this season; his stats on the weekend back that up (14 carries for 36 metres, 1 linebreak, 5 tackles).

Look, I don't think we will win against the Saders this week, but to make it out like the game is a foregone conclusion, a drubbing as you predict is factitious on your part.

The Saders are playing well but are not unbeatable; the recent Sharks and Highlanders games proved how vulnerable they are. They were 1 try on the buzzer away from losing to the Highlanders, who we beat away.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought McCalman was average but that's just one game, he was good against the Stormers, had a ridiculous amount of carries.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This is the best force team of all time after getting their 8 win of the year it may not be pretty but they get the job done you can bet they will be on that plane next week and will be out there to win.

I don't disagree that the Force are playing beyond expectations this year. They've got five test squad players and they deserved them, though Longbottom should be there rather than Cowan.

But that win was almost not a win, against the Lions reserve team. They are resilient but limited. I fear they will do it tough next Friday.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Well we won't know unless we go over there and have a crack will we? We've actually got a not too shabby record against the Cru, all things considered. I don't expect us to win and certainly didn't have it banked in the W column in the run home. However, if we can come away with some points then it helps the cause. We're not 8-4 for no reason (including a win against the Tahs).

As for last nights game, we dominated it everywhere but the scoreboard for large periods. We're not a side that blows others out of the water that often but who fucking cares? Bairdy is right, you came across as condescending.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I can kind of see where you are coming from @Hawko , but you are also failing to credit the Force for their game plan which is a bit of an equaliser. They have beaten the Chiefs and Tahs with that same game plan. It's a game plan that isn't going to give you run away wins against lesser teams, but it will allow you to compete against the teams better than you.

A loss next week isn't the end of the world. We then get a 3 week break with only 1 of our 5 Wallabies likely to be starting in the tests (will be the only Force player in the 23 I suspect unless McCalman beats out Higginbotham). We should have a nice fresh team after the break to take on the Reds and Blues at nib.

If we only pick up one of those games it will be last game over to Canberra to probably play the Brumbies for the last finals spot. A hell of a lot of work to do yet, but as masters of our own destiny I'm feeling confident.

T

tranquility

The fact that Western Force have continued with their momentum considering the loss of key players such as Alby, Morahan, and now Godwin is incredibly admirable. If you were to take that many crucial players from another side, well we saw what happened to the Tahs with Israel. You blokes are going bloody well, and will only improve with more troops getting healthy. You are flying the flag high, and I for one am right behind you.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wow Hawko... If I read your posts, it's hard to see why the Western Force should ever turn up.

However, you may have noticed that the WF have the same number of wins as the Tahs

The WF is doing OK with at least 6 of our 1st XV injured and the squad still 2-3 players short of a consistently top performing team. But the effort and commitment is fantastic.

The WF also has only 6 capped Wallabies. Compare this to the Reds (18), Tahs (16) and Brumbies (10).

Let's see what the standings are after the Tahs have played the Chiefs (#8), Brumbies (#7) and Highlanders (#6) and the Reds (#15) who at home will be seeking some form of redemption.

The Saders in CCH will be tough, but WF has a great record against them. Blues (#10) and Reds (#15) at home then Brumbies (#7) in Canberra will be an absolute cracker and well worth the trip from Perth. And I still remember the last game of last season!!!

PS McCalman and Cottrell had a quieter game than usual against the Lions because of the large amount of possession held by the WF.

PS I'll say it again...with the ARU top-ups (esp to Folau) the Tahs' players get about $2 million more than the WF players. If I was a Tahs supporter I'd be expecting a hell of a lot more. As a WF supporter I think that I'm getting great value and effort for the $$s available!!

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
I don't disagree that the Force are playing beyond expectations this year. They've got five test squad players and they deserved them, though Longbottom should be there rather than Cowan.

But that win was almost not a win, against the Lions reserve team. They are resilient but limited. I fear they will do it tough next Friday.

Nahh. Longbottom should be in for that powder puff paddy ryan.
Just adding a touch of reality.....the tahs last couple wins have been against said crappy lions and injured rebels. Theyve already won the super rugby comp if you believe the press!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The WF also has only 6 capped Wallabies. Compare this to the Reds (18), Tahs (16) and Brumbies (10).

PS I'll say it again.with the ARU top-ups (esp to Folau) the Tahs' players get about $2 million more than the WF players. If I was a Tahs supporter I'd be expecting a hell of a lot more. As a WF supporter I think that I'm getting great value and effort for the $$s available!!

The Force are terrific this year, but these stats aren't particularly relevant in my opinion.

In the first instance, the number of Wallabies in the Reds squad is probably an indication that players who have been Wallabies in the past count for little at Super Rugby level. If you were picking between having a player who was a Wallaby a year or two ago or a player who is likely to be a Wallaby in the next year or two, surely you'd pick the player who is on the way up.

Yes, the Waratahs have lots of Wallabies and subsequently, they get paid more money across a season because of that. They are also still playing in November when others are enjoying their off season. The Waratahs should be where they are currently on the ladder because of the talent they possess, but speculating the team's overall salary across a year as if that is some kind of inherent advantage doesn't really make sense in my opinion.

The advantage the Tahs and Reds have is that they are the two teams based where most of the players originate from. The best players have nore opportunity to play for the side they want to play for initially rather than having to move to get an opportunity.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Some of them are only part timers.
They have second jobs maintaining some of the grounds for SS clubs,apparently.
Remember there was an investigation about this a while ago?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How do the tahs fit all those wallabies under the salary cap?

Because the amounts they earn for getting selected for the Wallabies aren't related to their Super Rugby salaries.

Seemingly (like at the Reds and Brumbies), some players have stayed on for lower salaries than they could demand if they went to a different franchise. Players knowing that they will or are likely to earn extra money for playing for the Wallabies is certainly an advantage though because it means they're less likely to be concerned about not earning the maximum possible for Super Rugby that they could.

Then there are players like Kurtley Beale who came back to NSW after being unwanted by the Rebels (where he had gone for a large salary). Why would anyone think that he'd have a high super rugby salary now given that he left his previous team in disgrace and only one team wanted him?

Clearly the Force have had to pay above the odds historically to lure some players to Perth. If they play well again next year that will start changing because players will be keen to head to Perth to join Super Rugby side that is going well and getting results.

M

Moono75

Interesting discussion above. I think we all know its not a level playing field. That investigation into possible salary cap breaches by NSW dissapeared quicker than Milli Vanilli after their lip sinking fiasco.

Much like the Swans in the AFL the Force should be allowed a 'cost of living' allowance which should recognise the challenges faced by relocating to Perth and living in such an expensive city. The dollar doesn't go as far!

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
It doesn't matter anymore the ARU has made it even hard for teams like The force and rebels to attract top level talent with their new super dopper contracting system.

Now they identify players who are of national interest and set a reserve for each franchise and then offer said player a top up.

The only thing is that the franchises cant offer more than the reserve price nominated by the ARU so if say To'omua was on the market the ARU would set a price of 400k and then give him something above that. The brumbies can offer the 400k but the rebels would only be able to over him the same even if they had room in the salary cap to offer more...... Anyone care to explain how this is a good system?

Status
Not open for further replies.